Burglaries in the PC area

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Heads up guys and girls, it seems that we have some persistent burglars out there. They are in the PC area and are going through the condos to steal the safes... normally they just go for the 'normal' stuff like laptops, cameras, wallets etc., but in some instances they have brought their own crowbars to steal the safes.

We have had our first daylight robbery in over 5 years. They looked for the safe and ignored everything else (including computer, printer, plasma TV, making me feel that it could be something 'personal') and even used the owner's equipment to tear the safe off the shelf (no comment, he should have known better and bolted it to the wall). At least they didn't break the terrace window (seems this happened elsewhere close by) instead they just shook the terrace windows until the 'pin' fell out. We have a locking mechanism for each door plus a pin plus a piece of wood on the inside to stop them pushing the door open.. Also a dog :)

So for those of you who live in the Bavaro/Punta Cana area - be aware, those 'without sufficient funds' are already seeking early Christmas presents. I have to say that we do have a relatively good Politur force as they have one section that is dedicated to robberies (says it all, doesn't it... wealthy tourists) - after calling them we must have had at least 15 policemen turn up (from all walks of life, Policia Nacional, plain clothes, robbery section as well as general Politur) mind you it was when the President was visiting... wonder if they were bored?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I know we all value our privacy but any chance you can provide something a little more specific than "Bavaro/Punta Cana" area?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
In Residencial Bavaro-Punta Cana there have been several (and I mean many) robberies in the past year. They tried to get into my place but two 70 pesos bolts denied them entry (they were so good at what they do that the dogs never heard them). In the end, some of the robbers were living in rented apartments in the complex and were caught but it's a cycle that never ends. At my place I've got 2 bolts on the patio door, screeching alarm on the entrance door and sensors that go off on the windows if they aren't turned off before opening. Oh and my Rottie and 2 chis. Even with all this I still worry when my hubby goes to Santo Domingo on weekends.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Big advocate of buying an Apartment/Condo in a Gated Hotel Resort Community. 8 years back during the recession even Cocotal when it opened its doors to 500 a month rents and the DOMS moved in, massive rash of robberies. At one time Cocotal had to replace all of its Security Guards, turned out they also where in on the heists.. The smaller Compounds in Cortecito, los corales, etc, also generally have one or two "Haitian or Dominican Security Guards" these are also prone to an "Italian Job" type heist at anytime.. Tip of the day, don't buy a ground floor unit anywhere with sliding glass terrace doors or balcony... Also stay away from buying Condos close to the WALL in Cocotal.. Having said this the MAJORITY of owners in Cocotal have not had robbery issues... Location Location.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
I know we all value our privacy but any chance you can provide something a little more specific than "Bavaro/Punta Cana" area?

Los Corales-El Dorado area - that specific enough... I just have heard that this isn't the only area, they have been going around the residencial complexes where the tourists have just arrived... (with all their hard earned cash)

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
We have a Dominican security guard - come gardener - he has been here for years. He was the one who caught the burglars trying to get off the premises with the safe on one of their shoulders. When he stopped them they threw the safe over the electric gate but didn't have time to pick it up again and get away with it. He said he would shoot them if they didn't 'drop it', so they did.. lol, he only had his cell phone in his pocket but he pretended it was a gun - they are obviously not from around here otherwise they would have known he doesn't have a gun!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
That area unfortunately has also seen a significant amount of muggings. Should we also mention the Russian mafia which seems to be garnering significant strength in that area...?

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
I know, we have new lighting on the street now (between Los Corales and Stanza Mare)... as for the Russians, what can we do? I know some have already been kicked off the island and there are talks between the Dominican and Russian Embassies to try and find a way of halting this influx. It's all those cheap flights every week - making it possible for them to come in droves :( Having said that I do know some really nice and kind Russians and I love to see them. Thank goodness we haven't got the English yobs coming over - well if they do come, then they don't move from their hotel :)

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
I am a retired police officer, here are some tips that I pass on to tourists. Do not bring expensive un needed jewellry to the DR you are here to relax in the sun and do not need to show off the crown jewels. At night alk facing traffic so oncoming traffic can not pull up behind you. If you have to go out and get drunk then do not walk home, take a cab. For condo security cut wood dowells and use them to jam the window or patio slider shut, this forces a thief to break the glass. Do not keep all your cash in your condo and if you have to go out make sure you put valuable items out of sight. Carry a dummy wallet with a few hundred pesos in it and some old expired cards etc, toss this to the ground at the foot of the thief and keep moving They will pick it up and move on. Women can also carry a throw away wallet. The only jewelry my wife and I wear is our wedding bands When out at night carry a flashlight and use it to scan ahead if something ahead looks out of sorts and you get that spidey sense, then turn around and go back to whence you came. never walk into something in the hopes it is nothing. People like most of the posters on here who live in the DR full time do not need this advice but for those of you who are visiting, as I do, keep your ears and eyes open and your brain engaged. If you walk and act like easy prey then sooner rather than later you will become prey.....

May 29, 2006
Russian goons are bad news. When I lived in Estonia, they had a cute trick. They'd get some kid to grab a tourist's camera and run down the street. Then, when the tourist ran after them, they'd run into an alley where there'd be three or four guys waiting for him.

"Thanks for the camera. Now we'll have your wallet, your Levis jeans and if you're wearing designer underwear, we'll take those too."

Theft was so bad in Estonia, people only put their windshield wipers on their cars when it rained.