Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Burglaries in the PC area

Heads up guys and girls, it seems that we have some persistent burglars out there. They are in the PC area and are going through the condos to steal the safes... normally they just go for the 'normal' stuff like laptops, cameras, wallets etc., but in some instances they have brought their own crowbars to steal the safes.

We have had our first daylight robbery in over 5 years. They looked for the safe and ignored everything else (including computer, printer, plasma TV, making me feel that it could be something 'personal') and even used the owner's equipment to tear the safe off the shelf (no comment, he should have known better and bolted it to the wall). At least they didn't break the terrace window (seems this happened elsewhere close by) instead they just shook the terrace windows until the 'pin' fell out. We have a locking mechanism for each door plus a pin plus a piece of wood on the inside to stop them pushing the door open.. Also a dog

So for those of you who live in the Bavaro/Punta Cana area - be aware, those 'without sufficient funds' are already seeking early Christmas presents. I have to say that we do have a relatively good Politur force as they have one section that is dedicated to robberies (says it all, doesn't it... wealthy tourists) - after calling them we must have had at least 15 policemen turn up (from all walks of life, Policia Nacional, plain clothes, robbery section as well as general Politur) mind you it was when the President was visiting... wonder if they were bored?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

They were "Casing The Joint" for their next break in!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

3. Likes RGLRM, yb1, bilko, Eugeniefs, wuarhat and 1 others liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I know we all value our privacy but any chance you can provide something a little more specific than "Bavaro/Punta Cana" area?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

In Residencial Bavaro-Punta Cana there have been several (and I mean many) robberies in the past year. They tried to get into my place but two 70 pesos bolts denied them entry (they were so good at what they do that the dogs never heard them). In the end, some of the robbers were living in rented apartments in the complex and were caught but it's a cycle that never ends. At my place I've got 2 bolts on the patio door, screeching alarm on the entrance door and sensors that go off on the windows if they aren't turned off before opening. Oh and my Rottie and 2 chis. Even with all this I still worry when my hubby goes to Santo Domingo on weekends.

6. Likes Eugeniefs liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Big advocate of buying an Apartment/Condo in a Gated Hotel Resort Community. 8 years back during the recession even Cocotal when it opened its doors to 500 a month rents and the DOMS moved in, massive rash of robberies. At one time Cocotal had to replace all of its Security Guards, turned out they also where in on the heists.. The smaller Compounds in Cortecito, los corales, etc, also generally have one or two "Haitian or Dominican Security Guards" these are also prone to an "Italian Job" type heist at anytime.. Tip of the day, don't buy a ground floor unit anywhere with sliding glass terrace doors or balcony... Also stay away from buying Condos close to the WALL in Cocotal.. Having said this the MAJORITY of owners in Cocotal have not had robbery issues... Location Location.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon View Post
    They were "Casing The Joint" for their next break in!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    tell him, CCC.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I call it "stealing for Jesus".

10. Likes Harleysrock, arrugala liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by InsanelyOne View Post
    I know we all value our privacy but any chance you can provide something a little more specific than "Bavaro/Punta Cana" area?
    Los Corales-El Dorado area - that specific enough... I just have heard that this isn't the only area, they have been going around the residencial complexes where the tourists have just arrived... (with all their hard earned cash)

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a Dominican security guard - come gardener - he has been here for years. He was the one who caught the burglars trying to get off the premises with the safe on one of their shoulders. When he stopped them they threw the safe over the electric gate but didn't have time to pick it up again and get away with it. He said he would shoot them if they didn't 'drop it', so they did.. lol, he only had his cell phone in his pocket but he pretended it was a gun - they are obviously not from around here otherwise they would have known he doesn't have a gun!

13. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

That area unfortunately has also seen a significant amount of muggings. Should we also mention the Russian mafia which seems to be garnering significant strength in that area...?

15. Likes Eugeniefs liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast