Bavaro Interent & Blackout?

S

Sabine

Does anyone knows if there is any internet service provider in Bavaro area? I would like to get an ADSL (if they have that), or a Cable modem (anything with a fast connection)?
I do not want the regular 56K line modem. If they have ADSL, would you know how much they charge for connection fee + other unknown fees?

Also, I've been hearing a lot about the blackout going on these days in DR, is it only in the South area or it's all over the island?

Thank you.
Sabine

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Blackouts are only for poor people. We have institutionalized power generators and converters. If you got one, forget about blackouts. In fact, its better to have a blackout because you can use your own energy during. Plus Bavaro hotels have their own energy supplies.

M

mike

Call 688-4512 and ask Charlie or Peter for more information. They have a server with a direct sattelite connection and don't use Codetel. They will offer superfast radio LAN connections soon.

P

Peter

the internet cafe tropiCALL will server in the next future radiolan dedicated internet connection u can ask direct in there
plaza punta cana

M

Marc

The power company must see you coming from a mile away, and can't wait to send you your next power bill. It is not better to have blackouts.

Invertors run on batteries. Batteries require more energy to charge than they actually provide you with when the power is out. The distributors make more money off of you when you use your invertor than if they provided continous service.

Generators are nice, you don't have the power meter spinning like a top to charge up batteries like an invertor. However, the cost per kWh of running a generator far exceed the cost of the power distributed by the distribution companies.

Every hotel on the island has its own energy supply in the form of backup generators, not just in Bavaro. The Punta Cana region is served by a seperate distribution area in which all supply generated in the area is distributed in the area. This means that if the power generators are highly reliable (which they are), the supply is reliable. This is unique to this area of the island.

marc

S

Sabine

Re: Bavaro Internet & Blackout?

Thanks for the reply.
I don't think I was precise on my question... I will not be staying in hotels, but will live in a villa (house).
I am going back to live in DR and was wondering if the power blackout in the Punta Cana region was the same as Cabarete/Sosua area?

Also, just before I left DR (in Sept 10,2001) the blackout was getting very bad, and I had a TRACE 36W inverter with 8 batteries and the inverter stop working after 2 days!
So if there is a Blackout that last several days, that would not help me, but then again I will have to buy a Generator!

Marc,
When you say "Punta Cana region is served by a seperate distribution area in which all supply generated in the area is distributed in the area" do you mean for the Villas/Apartments OR only for the commercial sites like Hotel, stores, etc...?

Thank you.
Sabine

S

Sabine

Thanks Mike & Peter for the speedy reply. :)

Mike when you say... "They have a server with a direct satellite connection and don't use Codetel" hope you don't mean "Wireless Wave Co." they are located in Sosua but suppose to have other location all over the island?
Because I've heard MANY bad stories about these folks (EX: down everyday for at least a few hours, this company lies to customers all the time, charging ridiculous price for residential customers, need that ugly huge antenna on your roof and that antenna is Very expensive, and this company does NOT give any breaks to customers! One of my friend that was using their service was complaining about the down time, he did not have the speed they promised him and the company did not want to give him the credit as promised (on his contract it stated that if they are down they will issue a credit) and this company told my friend that if his not happy to leave because they have the Monopoly in the whole island! Also, I've heard that the chief engineer of the organization is 18 years old and was doing LOTS of mistakes on the network (just starting to learn the Network), he is the son of the owner.

I will contact Charlie or Peter when I get in town, again thanks Mike.

Thanks Peter for the info, when I'll be there I will go visit cafe tropiCALL.

Sabine

M

mike

The name is"Tropicall"

Why don't you give your mail address? These guys are reading the board everyday. I guess they would get in touch with sooner or later and explain the details.

M

Marc

Sabine. Punta Cana is a kind of "island" when it comes to power supply. The power generated in that area is actually used in that area. In the rest of the country, if a power plant goes offline, the system distributor gets to choose who gets to have the available power...not so in Punta Cana.

When Punta Cana has a blackout, it is because there has been a failure in generation in Punta Cana. Because Punta Cana has several small units supplying power, you rarely end up with a case where they have to shut down power to anyone...

The short answer is that Punta Cana has a far more reliable power supply than the rest of the country because of this setup. You would have to ask someone that lives in the area to know for sure, but I think your inverter would be more than adequate.

marc

M

mike

You don't need an inverter or generator in this area, this year we had about 5 to 6 blackouts which lasted about 3 to 5 hours because new systems and wiring were installed. Once a tour bus hit a light post of the main power line, this one took about 7 hours to get fixed.

M

Marc

That is amazing. We are getting about 12-15 hours per day on average. It comes back on pretty steady though, so the inverter gets a good charge every day.

Real pain in the ass, though. Thanks for the info on PC power.

marc