An hour and a half in Dominican is English for...

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
The title says it all.

When a Dominican says "an hour and a half", in English, what does that mean in the true true English?

Because I got a call from the DR yesterday, and the lady said she would call me back in about and hour and a half.
That was more than a day ago? Cultural dissonance?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's that those stupid gringos always require more details. "i will call you back" is not good enough for them. so distrustful, eh?

i actually do the same, if pressed. "i will call you back at 5 pm". and then i delete their number from the phone and never speak to them again. it's a great way to avoid problems, you see? no talking, no problemo.

When the sellers call and i answer, they suddently disconnect instead for answering all these stupid Gringo questions regarding Quality of product, garantia, and other frustrating questions a dominican never would have asked.

They usually only ask for a better price, and if they can pay 30 pesos in 72 terms. And ofcource if the color of the product matches the shoes and ear rings.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
When the sellers call and i answer, they suddently disconnect instead for answering all these stupid Gringo questions regarding Quality of product, garantia, and other frustrating questions a dominican never would have asked.

you are truly evil. isn't "funciona si dios quiere" good enough for you? well? what more could you ask for???!!!

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I dunno, but there is a girl waiting for me in Spankys bar, I told her I'd be back in an hour, that was 1995 Works both ways!
I wouldn't wait in for the call.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Hora y media no es lo mismo que media hora, ni se escribe igual (an hour and a half is not the same as a half an hour, nor is it written the same way). And so, always get written confirmation (email) whenever possible.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
An answer to anything from anybody by email I find virtually impossible. They all want to prattle on in machine gun Dominican, totally incomprehensible. Do they think that as around 50% of the population can?t read that should include them?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The title says it all.

When a Dominican says "an hour and a half", in English, what does that mean in the true true English?

Because I got a call from the DR yesterday, and the lady said she would call me back in about and hour and a half.
That was more than a day ago? Cultural dissonance?

Please don't say manana if you don't mean it, mean it. I have heard that line so many times!!!!!!! Dominican's sense of time is unlike ours from NA. You have to adjust your brain and not your clock.
LTSteve

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
someone was coming to collect coconuts from my tree in half an hour.......he arrived a month later

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
it is a strange place. ever call the SS administration section of the US in the DR? you get an answering machine which tells you to call the same number you just did if you wish to speak to somebody.

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
En una hora = ahorita = I'll call you when I stop procrastinating (given that even though they practice it to perfection, don't know the meaning of the word so it's just normal).

PS They never stop procrastinating.