Which is best bus from North Coast to Santo Domingo closest to the port

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Hi

Considering a cruise out of Santo Domingo and am looking for information as to whether one bus line is better than another, what stop to get off at in Santo Domingo, which is closest to the cruise port.

Also, I expect we'll need a taxi to the port - what should that cost - any recommendations of taxi drivers?

Or any information you want to share if you'd done the cruise out of SD.

thanks and regards

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I know Caribe Tours stops closer to the Colonial Zone where the port is. Get off at the last stop and a taxi is about 250 pesos.

Matilda

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Where in the north coast are you departing from? It would be a help in defining the transportation options you may have.

Regards,

PJT

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Sorry for not being specific. Leaving from Sosua.

Thanks Mat.

Now if we were to go out of La Romana, what would that entail?

Just checking out options.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Sosua to SD the Metro is a bit faster as it stops less but there are fewer departures. To La Romana you would need to take an additional bus from SD to LRM on a different bus line. Neither Metro or Caribe goes to LRM.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for all the info. I have taken both Metro and Caribe Tours from Sosua to SD. I'm looking for which is closest to the port and whether it's the last stop or what; and then we'd take a taxi to the port. we have plenty of time so it doesn't matter that Caribe takes a big longer.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Call Apollo Taxi. They will tell you how much the ride will be. Usually 150 within the area of center Santo Domingo.

I like Apolo Taxi because they tell you the number of the taxi and the color of the car. BEFORE you get in you ask the driver his number, and if it checks out with the color of the car, you are good to go. Apolo Taxi, 809 537 0000

As for Caribe Tour vs Metro? Take Metro, the taxi will cost the same from Caribe Tour and Metro buses are faster and nicer, IMO.

If you were in Santiago and looking to save money, I would say take AETNA...nice, not great, buses and good service but a lot cheaper than Metro.\\\

HB

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Does the taxi service speak ESPANOL solemente? Lol for those that are not fluent in Spanish ? Not that there are any like this in the DR!lol

Last edited:
Drro I always take the metro on the Santo Domingo to Sosua just because less stops and usually more space on the bus because it costs a few extra pesos. Taxi should be 150-200 pesos at most from port to bus station on Winston Churchill. Wear a sweater it gets cold on the bus.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Definitely take the Metro, for sure bring a sweater and gloves, 200 pesos will be the taxi cost if you call for one, the taxi guys waiting at the bus depot will insist on 300. This is assuming you are talking about the port on the malecon, and not the one on the other side of Rio Ozama.

There is Port Santo Domingo and Sans Souci Cruise Terminal.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks bigbird I don't know which it is, though I'm sure we'll get instructions/directions. It is a cruise but that doesn't mean it leaves from the cruise terminal?

And Yes I've taken the Metro, I dress for winter!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..........And Yes I've taken the Metro, I dress for winter!

Great, I took Caribe Tours from SD to Santiago a few weeks ago and my finger tips were numb when I arrived. It was the double decker bus and little did I know the lower area was so much warmer.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Rose: Just ask the guy at Apolo Taxi what the fare will be. They will give it to you...not a tourist rate but the straight fee.
Bigbird makes a good point: It will be much more expensive to get over to the Sans Souci Cruise Port...

I paid--not so long ago--about RD$200 (including RD$20,00 tip) to go from the Plaza de la Bandera on Luperon, down to Archivo General, which is almost on the river. All along 27 de Febrero....(if that is any help.)

HB

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for the tips. First, I need to find which port the ship leaves from (would be useful!) and will then order a taxi ahead of time asking for pricing, getting name and number, etc. Thanks all.