Female English-Spanish Translators Needed

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have a group of surgeons, mostly gynecologists, but one general surgeon as well, who will be traveling to Puerto Plata next March. They'll be performing surgery at the public hospital to pre-selected/examined patients who are in need. It will be an official trip, done with the permission and cooperation of Salud P?blica.

The doctors don't speak Spanish and will need translators. Since most of them are gynecologists, I need a couple of female English-Spanish translators. I'll have some money available to pay a stipend to the translators who will be needed, most likely, from Monday to Friday (details to be arranged when I meet with the person in charge while in the US for Christmas).

I can find male translators easily, but need help to find fluent hard-working women to work with the doctors.

Does anyone know someone I could contact for help?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Bumping this thread to see if anyone out there can help LaProf with this important upcoming event.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I might know one, or even two. I'll just need to verify before I give you their contact info. Both are on the North Coast.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
I have replied to both PMs.

Thanks, AE, for bumping the thread!

I am leaving for the US on Sunday, so most likely won't be able to follow up on any leads until I get back in mid-January. However, they will be operating at the Hospital Ricardo Limardo in Puerto Plata and translators will be needed from March 23 or 24 (to be determined when I meet with doctor in charge) until March 28 or 29. They will be at the hospital from about eight AM to five PM or later (depending on how the surgeries are scheduled) so translators would need to be available those hours.

Last time, one translator had a child. When I interviewed her, she said that her mother would care for the child, but in reality she was never available when needed. Whoever does the translating needs to be able to spend the day with the doctors.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Progress

Bumping this thread to see if anyone out there can help LaProf with this important upcoming event.

AE, thanks to your bump and some PMs I received, I have three possible translators along with an excellent suggestion from someone else.

I am following up, but will be in the office only two more days before I leave. If I do not get in touch with the people suggested by BlackDog and Ctrob, I will do so in January when I return.

I did try calling one person today, but she was at work according to her mother.

SARAH KATZ

Jul 20, 2011
How fluent in English necessary - I know a couple of Spanish first language lawyers and bi-lingual school-teachers who have fair/good English and happy to do community work - time-scale/length of visit would help.

I also have a couple of Canadian teachers who, dates permitting, could maybe slot in!

I'm all about education for super-poor youth/adults but your project's much-needed - the skills are here but the finance is not so it's great to have your planned initiative.

Last edited:

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Yes, have 2 females, will check with them and post ya back..Do you have any idea what it pays?? one female is in SD, the other is here in POP, so no biggie about her...Just wondering if it would be worth it ti travel or not from SD to here..

Anthony

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
La Profe,

I can help those days, I will just catch Caribe Tours to/from POP each day. Of course, you know that I know OB/GYN medical terminology :)
Let me know if you need me, it's 4 days right?

SHALENA