Constructive Criticism Please.

zlj1

Aug 1, 2013
Hello everyone,

I am developing a website and Facebook page for a center that I would like to start in Puerto Plata. I have never been the one to "sell" things to someone and so I am not sure what to say.
My center would basically be a central resource to learn life skills and English initially. I want to target heavy in these areas and then expand. Below is what I currently have posted on Facebook, please let me know if you were "sold" why or why not? Remember, there is a difference between constructive criticism and being condescending/disrespectful. Thanks in advance.

Do you want to learn English?
Do you know English but never get to use it as much as you would like? Let's talk today!
Does your child need help with homework?
Do you need help building a resume?
Thinking about attending an American University?
Need help studying for the ACT or SAT?
Looking for a Teacher/Tutor?
I followed up with my contact info and an incentive for booking early.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Will it be in both english and spanish?

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I think it's a great idea! And I thought about how it would work in the D.R., after reading an article in the NYT about centers in South Korea, where kids learn English and take ACT/SAT preparation classes, with the hope to get to study in the U.S.

DR1 poster mountainannie may have some insight.

zlj1

Aug 1, 2013
Will it be in both english and spanish?

I know little Spanish, but I do have native Spanish teachers who could accommodate for students who do not understand any English. I actually begin my Spanish sessions in January so hopefully by summer 2014, I will be almost fluent.

zlj1

Aug 1, 2013
I think it's a great idea! And I thought about how it would work in the D.R., after reading an article in the NYT about centers in South Korea, where kids learn English and take ACT/SAT preparation classes, with the hope to get to study in the U.S.

DR1 poster mountainannie may have some insight.

Thanks!! I am currently working in a school here and most children do not have the basic foundation of English which is hindering their progression. I want to start a program where I can give each student individual and personalized lessons in hopes of knocking down any barriers and insecurities they may have.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think if you're trying to attract Dominicans to your services, the ad must be in Spanish too - get one of your native Spanish speakers to create a duplicate ad for you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You should also post your qualifications, formal training, University degrees, previous teaching experience,etc.
That's VERY important here!
Cris Colon

eldorada

Mar 9, 2005
Great idea! ACT/SAT prep classes are given by some institutions here in Santiago and in Santo Domingo.
Perhaps, you can contact the bilingual schools in your area and pull from that source for your clients/students. Good luck!

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Here in Canada I own a marketing and communication company that specializes in digital media - primarily in the area of social media.

The best advise I can give is to deploy the cocktail party rule. Unless you are Mabeline you need to give and take. Think of the people visiting your Facebook as attending an event and you are the host. Offer your audience value through engaging and useful content. Focus on solving problems and being a solutionist and the solution may not always be your product or service.

Focusing on the sell will alienate many and leave you with limited followers. Start blogging. For example if you want to attract parents offer tips on helping children with homework etc... You also want folks not just to visit but to follow and share with likeminded people in their networks - this is why content is king.

10-4-1 rule is always best - in 1 month try to share 10 3rd party links, 4 blogs that solve problems and 1 blatant self promotion. Focus on sharing 3rd party links on sharing those of other local businesses and they will likely reciprocate and open you up to their networks.

Hope this helps.

Hello everyone,

I am developing a website and Facebook page for a center that I would like to start in Puerto Plata. I have never been the one to "sell" things to someone and so I am not sure what to say.
My center would basically be a central resource to learn life skills and English initially. I want to target heavy in these areas and then expand. Below is what I currently have posted on Facebook, please let me know if you were "sold" why or why not? Remember, there is a difference between constructive criticism and being condescending/disrespectful. Thanks in advance.

Do you want to learn English?
Do you know English but never get to use it as much as you would like? Let's talk today!
Does your child need help with homework?
Do you need help building a resume?
Thinking about attending an American University?
Need help studying for the ACT or SAT?
Looking for a Teacher/Tutor?
I followed up with my contact info and an incentive for booking early.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I am also thinking about starting a "Web Business" ,about Sex Tourism in the DR, focusing on Sosua.
I'll use that,"10-4-1" idea.
"10 Prostitutes, 4, each Tourist"!
Thanks for the "BIG TIP"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Why did I just have a feeling something like that was coming!!!

I am also thinking about starting a "Web Business" ,about Sex Tourism in the DR, focusing on Sosua.
I'll use that,"10-4-1" idea.
"10 Prostitutes, 4, each Tourist"!
Thanks for the "BIG TIP"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC