Laser Eye Surgery in the Dominican Republic

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Has anyone had Laser Eye Surgery Proceedure in the Dominican Republic?

Stories/Opinions/Recommendations???

Thanks

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Here's my "recommendation", go to Miami!
They do thousands & thousands there every year, Lot's Of "OLD FOLKS".
It's by a Board Certified doctor, inexpensive, and I hera that the doctors in Miami wash their hands, and were gloves!
OR, just have one eye done here, THEN go to Miami for your "Good Eye" proceedure.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While I cannot fault what ol' CC says, there are good laser folks here. Dr. Asilis at Clinica Bonilla in Santiago is quite well regarded (he does wash his hands)....and he also works in Santo Domingo.. And there are also a bunch of people in Santo Domingo do this stuff also.

My sister in law had it done by Asilis, no so long ago.
HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It used be a more 'manual' procedure - that called for the washing of hands -
But nowadays, it's more robotic, machine oriented..... less need for hand hygiene, and less room for error.

I wouldn't be afraid to do it here.

However, if you follow CCCCCCCCCologne's advice, he will also advise you buy your new HD TV while in Miami.
to enjoy w/ your new eyaballs

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my MIL had something done although i do not recall what procedure was it. not correcting myopia, it was something related to age.
i know that my doctor in clinican union in santiago is also eye surgeon. if you are thinking of a surgery to correct myopia i would not advise it, thou, neither does he, actually. possible side effects really suck.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I just promote what "EYE" would do, and, "DoDo", when I need anything other than emergency proceedures done.
I have a GREAT Dominican Cardiologist,. Dr.Pedro Urena, here in SD.
He is also a USA Board certified Cardiologist.
I know many great Dominican Doctors here.
I'm not worried about them, it's the complete lack of nursing, and technical staff that worry me!!!!
THEY, Don't "Wash Their Hands", or have any knowledge of aseptic measures.
The surgery doesn't usually kill you, the "Recovery", if there is one, might!
If you have the time, and the means, go to a "First World" medical center.
At least you have two eyes, so you have a 50/50 chance of being able to see after your procedure!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have dominican health insurance. not covered in poland, let alone in the USA. DR is my only option, same for many other posters here. private hospitals in DR are quite good. way better than in poland, for sure.

i would not do eye surgery not because of DR. i just would not do it full stop. asked every single of my eye doctors for advice on it, both here and in poland, and they all advised against it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have had the LASIK... way back when ---it was early.

Doctor in Phila named Kremer.... one of the pioneers.
I can assure you, it's painless, instant results and fast/easy recovery.

No more glasses... mind you, I never knew I needed glasses (myopia) until I flunked the eye test for driving at 16 yrs old.
Dumb.

as to the hand washing and gloves , Cologne...

that's one thing I noticed w/ my little clinica stay for Dengue....
Once I was transfered to SD from Cabrera, the nurses all ahd gloves when changing my IV every 5 hrs or so.

In Cabrera, they went bareback..... nice girls 'though... Nurse Cratchets in SD..ugh!
They all knew you, Cologne.... blood test stuff , they said.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
my MIL had something done although i do not recall what procedure was it. not correcting myopia, it was something related to age.
i know that my doctor in clinican union in santiago is also eye surgeon. if you are thinking of a surgery to correct myopia i would not advise it, thou, neither does he, actually. possible side effects really suck.

Cataract???

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
There are some clinics and doctors in Santo Domingo that can give you the same quality treatment as in Miami, but cheaper price. One of them is Instituto Espaillat Cabral in Santo Domingo.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Has anyone had Laser Eye Surgery Proceedure in the Dominican Republic?

Stories/Opinions/Recommendations???

Thanks

I had it done in Santiago. Mono Lasik surgery. Forgot the name of the place, Opthamolgia something... Doctor was Abraham Khory. Good impression, I went from -7,5 and contacts to -0,75 and no contacts, but yeah night vision is a little bit weird. I use yellow glasses when driving and then I am fine. 1500 USD for both eyes, I doubt you get much better service in Miami. It will probably be a German made machine there also...

popvisitor.

Nov 14, 2013
it was something like implanting a lens inside the eye.

Cataract surgery. "Old" cloudy lens is removed and new one inserted, usually improves visual acuity also negating need for glasses for distance sight

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I had it done in Santiago. Mono Lasik surgery. Forgot the name of the place, Opthamolgia something... Doctor was Abraham Khory. Good impression, I went from -7,5 and contacts to -0,75 and no contacts, but yeah night vision is a little bit weird. I use yellow glasses when driving and then I am fine. 1500 USD for both eyes, I doubt you get much better service in Miami. It will probably be a German made machine there also...

I got it done about 10 years ago in Canada and was and still am happy that I did. I do notice that my night vision is not what it was before the procedure and certainly worse now. What kind of glasses and where did you get them.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I got it done about 10 years ago in Canada and was and still am happy that I did. I do notice that my night vision is not what it was before the procedure and certainly worse now. What kind of glasses and where did you get them.

Just got normal prescription ones -0,75 with yellow glass. 1400 pesos with frames

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Asian, Knucklehead, Asian.....

Orientals are carpets...

PC me..... you need a handler.... not jerk off handler.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Who you gonna sue if it's done in the DR and they screw up? Imagine throwing your one eyed self into the hands of a Dominican lawyer who "bleeds" you while you look for justice with one eye. Go to the US.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
While I cannot fault what ol' CC says, there are good laser folks here. Dr. Asilis at Clinica Bonilla in Santiago is quite well regarded (he does wash his hands)....and he also works in Santo Domingo.. And there are also a bunch of people in Santo Domingo do this stuff also.

My sister in law had it done by Asilis, no so long ago.
HB

Right, my wife done it too, I can only say the best about Dr Asilis and his son. Very professional. i can highly recommend him.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would have any surgery here, i find dominican private hospitals very god. i would not, however, do my eyes, ever, anywhere. too many things that can go wrong.

Dec 24, 2012
Who you gonna sue if it's done in the DR and they screw up? Imagine throwing your one eyed self into the hands of a Dominican lawyer who "bleeds" you while you look for justice with one eye. Go to the US.

I get your drift. However who are you going to sue in the US after they make you sign the waiver of how they're not responsible for anything that goes wrong and that you're aware of this risk and will not pursue any legal action against them? Their lawyers get paid a lot of money to prepare this paperwork to protect the clinics from liability. There are very few cases that went terribly wrong that actually had success in legal action against the clinic. Most lawyers for these cases tell you "we get paid only if you win" - that really means, they get 1/3 of the proceeds minus all costs if the case goes to deposition. So to throw in a number, if you are awarded $100,000 USD,the lawyer gets $33,333 and you pay around $40,000 in other fees. You then walk away with maybe $25,000 and have already been blind for several years since these proceedings take forever. Now what? You're still blind and someone else will enjoy your $25,000 because you can't administer it yourself.

Best to do is do your research, visit the two best eye clinics in SD; which I believe is Centro Laser and Espaillat Cabral. Anyone who had eye correction surgery at these place, please share your experience.

Otherwise, like some have suggested, buy the expensive ticket to Miami, pay the expensive hotel, then pay the extra $5,000 USD for your procedure. Your overall cost would be around $8,000 USD. Or since a lot of us travel here to DR anyway, just get it done here for a fraction of the cost and your risk is almost the same. Remember you can go to any surgeon in the world, the risk is always the same and every doctor will tell you there is always a risk in surgery and nothing is guaranteed.