Transparency International - Worldwide Corruption Perceptions Index 2013

the concrete guy

Nov 30, 2013
its the same in every country. ive been in 23 they are all the same. perhaps rather than worry about it either live with it as it is or go home to Idaho.

the concrete guy

Nov 30, 2013
the united states is most likely the most corrupt country on the planet however they have a printing press and are able to hide there corruption,,,however ill figure you haven't traveled much being that all countries are in your face corrupt.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
its the same in every country. ive been in 23 they are all the same. perhaps rather than worry about it either live with it as it is or go home to Idaho.

haha.. i actually kinda agree with this..

I kinda like the fact that the DR is in your face corrupt.. in the US the corruption is covered up with a facade of honesty and opulence.

If you think all is fine and dandy anywhere in the world, try competing with a company with deep pockets and see how fast your ass gets shut down. I recently started up a vitamin company in the US selling online and a competitor shut me down with cold hard cash.. Naysayers will call you a conspiracy theorist but there is a reason that 90% of the wealth in the US is held by 10% of the population.

The good thing about the DR is mid sized businesses, 500k-1mil net annually, are actually the big dogs here, and can have the pull on their side. In the US, a business of this size is a joke and gets eaten by the whales.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
haha.. i actually kinda agree with this..

I kinda like the fact that the DR is in your face corrupt.. in the US the corruption is covered up with a facade of honesty and opulence.

If you think all is fine and dandy anywhere in the world, try competing with a company with deep pockets and see how fast your ass gets shut down. I recently started up a vitamin company in the US selling online and a competitor shut me down with cold hard cash.. Naysayers will call you a conspiracy theorist but there is a reason that 90% of the wealth in the US is held by 10% of the population.

The good thing about the DR is mid sized businesses, 500k-1mil net annually, are actually the big dogs here, and can have the pull on their side. In the US, a business of this size is a joke and gets eaten by the whales.

i am sorry to hear of the demise of your venture, but what dos that have to do with corruption?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i like dominican corruption. high end political stuff does not bother me much, this is well beyond my control and no reason to fret about it. it's funny to watch, thou. low level corruption is the best thing on earth. it's great you can do stupid things and then get away with it by simple means of cash. of course the bad thing is that everyone else can do the same. but essentially, low level corruption is what we all desperately want when we are caught speeding and the police officer politely asks us for our license...

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Corruption is very easy to live with until it effects you negatively, and corruption effecting you negatively here on a personal level means attacks you. On the wrong side of the corruption here, it is almost impossible to live with, relentless once in the mill! The only way out is truly out, if you can, but once in that web, even that is the most difficult thing to accomplish.
If you don't have cast iron contacts and weight here, never take on anything you may think is a logical and simple ideal or law anywhere else in the world.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
i am sorry to hear of the demise of your venture, but what dos that have to do with corruption?

Paying off inspectors/payment processors to make a competitor's life impossible would be corruption wouldn't it? Or is this only referring to political corruption?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
the united states is most likely the most corrupt country on the planet however they have a printing press and are able to hide there corruption,,,however ill figure you haven't traveled much being that all countries are in your face corrupt.

I disagree with the 'most likely' bit. Replace simply with "is".