Public Transportation from Santiago Airport to Cabarete/Sosua Area?

sailin

May 1, 2008
It's so much less expensive to fly into Santiago Airport right now. Is there an easy way to get from Santiago Airport to the Cabarete/Sosua area?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It's so much less expensive to fly into Santiago Airport right now. Is there an easy way to get from Santiago Airport to the Cabarete/Sosua area?

Taxi from the airport to Caribe Tours. Buses leave every hour for Sosua.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Or you can take "metro tours" its a little more expensive but more confort. I also take caribe tours all the time :) only 160 peso to sosua.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are not burdened by a lot of bags, you could save a few hundred pesos by taking the PA car into Santiago and then take the bus. The PA is a carro p?blico and costs maybe 30 pesos into town. Any taxi will cost RD$500 or more. Of course a lot depends on your bags...

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
For the small difference of about RD$450, I think your best bet is a taxi. Walk out of the terminal with your bags and take one of the waiting taxis, which will take you directly to Caribe Tours.

To take a public car, you would have to wait, then probably have to take a taxi to get the rest of the way. My experience with public cars from out that way is that they operate on fixed routes. A taxi, however, can take you directly to Caribe Tours.

backpacker

Aug 29, 2013
From HB's reply I guess it's quite easy to catch a PA from Santiago airport into the centre. Just wondering as to how often they come around and do they originate at the airport?. Like many, my flight is scheduled to arrive early in the morning but don't mind waiting at the airport until they start operating. Also, how are PA's recognisable? In Latin American countries it's quite easy to identify this mode of transport but having never been to the DR are they a van or a car with signs or something similar? Thanks

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I ve taken the cheap cab from and to the airport each time I fly I pay a little extra for the bag and pay for the extra space in the car so I m not squeezed in with 5 in the back and for less than a hundred pesos it s a bargain... if you don't mind a squeeze and a slow drive , they get you close to Caribe.. then hope in a guagua.. of course so long as you re not weighed down with tons of stuf.. the cabs are frequent I have found...
From HB's reply I guess it's quite easy to catch a PA from Santiago airport into the centre. Just wondering as to how often they come around and do they originate at the airport?. Like many, my flight is scheduled to arrive early in the morning but don't mind waiting at the airport until they start operating. Also, how are PA's recognisable? In Latin American countries it's quite easy to identify this mode of transport but having never been to the DR are they a van or a car with signs or something similar? Thanks

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
WTF are you talking about?
The tourist taxi rates are posted on a big sign.

You said that, THE TOURIST TAXI FEE... Theses people are not tourist, they must be missioners or something like that.

Just figure out; A tourist man, jammed with seven people some them stinky construction workers in a small 1994 Toyota Corolla plus a 100 lbs GLP cylinder in the trunk,,, there will be no room left for the bags.

Dam, asi no fue que hablamos!!!

JJ

Mountaintrout

Feb 9, 2013
If you are not burdened by a lot of bags, you could save a few hundred pesos by taking the PA car into Santiago and then take the bus. The PA is a carro p?blico and costs maybe 30 pesos into town. Any taxi will cost RD$500 or more. Of course a lot depends on your bags...

HB

Any idea how long the bus ride is from Santiago to Sosua? Price?

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Any idea how long the bus ride is from Santiago to Sosua? Price?

I took the MetroBus just the other day. It's 200 pesos and takes about 2 hours (depending on traffic) with one stop in Puerto Plata. I believe Metro has 4 buses per day each way.

CaribeTours bus runs every hour from about 5am to 10pm or so. They also make more stops , so the trip takes a bit longer (but is maybe 20 pesos cheaper also).

Both companies buses are comfortable and cool w AC. Both have bathrooms on board (as a guy I have no problems using them, but I wouldn't want to sit down). Also bring your own hand sanitizer.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
It really depends upon the savings involved and how valuable one's vacation time is....

1. What if the plane leaving Santiago is cancelled?

2. It may take about an hour and a half to get to Santiago??? Then add the time it takes to get the bus and maybe another taxi once you get to Puerto Plata or Sosua... Maybe one looses three hours on each end of the vacation...could be valuable time one could have spent on the beach???