MIS PANAS

J

J809

I'm a Dominican, born in SDQ, and brought to USA when I was 3, I haven't been back to mi patria since I left. There are some people in my family that are still over there and are happy that I've grown up ok and everything over here and wish they could be here, but most of my family over there says I should be in my own country and a lot of other Dominicans I know say their familes say the same thing. Why is that? How can some of us be happy to be here then a lot still say you should be in tu propia patria? I wish life was better over there and my mother wouldn't have taken me away, I feel like I've missed out on a lot, but at the same time there are things here that I know I would have missed out on too. Not to say I love it here...I have had many experiences here where saying you were Dominican wasn't the best thing to say y soy indio oscuro so a lot of people here think i'm moreno first until they hear me talk lol...anyway i was just wondering about this and if anyone else has had the same experiences...

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Mi Pana: All Dominicans abroad wish they could all live here and even those who make a good living there, always have Santo Domingo in their minds. Once you set deep roots, specially economic, in the United States it is hard for 95% of Dominicans abroad to leave and come back to their land, but I guarantee you that if they had the money to do it they would not think twice. I did I and I will never get back to the US no matter what the circumstances. And I love the USA. But there is nothing like DR.

J

Jerry

I have a question that maybe you could answer. Do you think that you would feel different if you mother was able to return to Santo Domingo to visit while you were growing up? if you could have spent the summers with family in the DR would this be enough to fill-in some of the things that you feel are missing?

Just wondering
Jerry