Rd /usa tire follow-up

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Since AE's thread about buying tires here or in the US is closed, I thought I would post my experience for what it's worth.

I was considering tires for both cars... lots of punctures, poor wear and knowing that most tires bought here are inferior to US sources.

AE bought at Sam's........ my retailer of choice is Tire Rack.

I bought my two sets.... had them shipped to my mudanza.
Tires ~ $500 a set of 4, shipping ~ $140 for all 8.

I did not break the bank on these tires--- roads here too tough on tread wear.

My mudanza , Awilda, charged me $300 to ship/deliver them.

Soooo, all in about $1500 in my garage.......... $750 a set - @42 drp, thats 31,500 or 7875 a tire

for those interested... General Grabbers for the Wrangler and Goodrich Advantage T/A's for the XL-7

Wish me luck:lick:

They're on the high sees as we read.........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hard to say, that tire, that quality isn't available here

that's the point..... no quality here and less choice...

Mind you... I import much of what I buy when I feel it's warranted.
This is one of those times...... I will pay more for better tires.

I have a wife and 2 daughters..... breakdowns and flats are things I try to avoid for them

and me too -- no 'in the rain' flats for me........... too old !!!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
True, I prefer to buy from abroad if possible b/c of quality. Now I know that goes for tires too. Thanks!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sam's Club had to order our tires, they came in yesterday and were installed today. We kept the other tires too, we'll see what we'll do with them at some point......

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
About a year ago I bought a set from tirerack.com (215/45/17). Ended up saving around 100 dollars. My suggestion is if the size tire you need hapens to be a size that they like to jack up prices on here than it is worth it. If its a regular tire (not low profile or high performance) then you are better off buying here.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Since AE's thread about buying tires here or in the US is closed, I thought I would post my experience for what it's worth.

I was considering tires for both cars... lots of punctures, poor wear and knowing that most tires bought here are inferior to US sources.

AE bought at Sam's........ my retailer of choice is Tire Rack.

I bought my two sets.... had them shipped to my mudanza.
Tires ~ $500 a set of 4, shipping ~ $140 for all 8.

I did not break the bank on these tires--- roads here too tough on tread wear.

My mudanza , Awilda, charged me $300 to ship/deliver them.

Soooo, all in about $1500 in my garage.......... $750 a set - @42 drp, thats 31,500 or 7875 a tire

for those interested... General Grabbers for the Wrangler and Goodrich Advantage T/A's for the XL-7

Wish me luck:lick:

They're on the high sees as we read.........

That sounds like a waste of money. I bought four all weather tires in Las Terrenas and had them intalled for $550usd. These were a very good quality that were made in Canada and imported by the tire distributor in the DR. Don't waste your time and money shipping tires from the States. That's way beyond silly(stuppppiiiddd).

LtSTeve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sam's Club had to order our tires, they came in yesterday and were installed today. We kept the other tires too, we'll see what we'll do with them at some point......

Since they appear to be a hard size to find, you might consider shipping them to RD and holding them as spares in case you have a tire disaster.
They'll get you through until new ones arrive.

I'm saving my old ones that way.

Some may call that stupid.... I don't

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Since they appear to be a hard size to find, you might consider shipping them to RD and holding them as spares in case you have a tire disaster.
They'll get you through until new ones arrive.

I'm saving my old ones that way.

Some may call that stupid.... I don't

I don't think it's stupid. The tires are in good shape [except for the one with a patch/plug]. At first we were only going to keep one for a spare [we thought we had a donut spare] but found out there's a brand new full-size spare in the car. If we can find a way to pack them and ship them cheap enough, it's a great idea, except not a lot of storage space at our DR home. These things are huge, like truck tires.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you may be wasting your breath, JD.

My sense is that there no such thing as a good tire in RD...
as you suggest, old inventory, seconds... all dumped here.

Blown off inventory will blow out sooner......IMO

That's how I got on to the problem.
My friend had a set of 4 all lined up .... in RD... Until he found out they were seconds.
Went straight to the US for better ones and has never looked back.

I didn't originate this thread to have an argument... just passing on my experience.

Nonetheless, comments are always offered.:speechles

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't think it's stupid. The tires are in good shape [except for the one with a patch/plug]. At first we were only going to keep one for a spare [we thought we had a donut spare] but found out there's a brand new full-size spare in the car. If we can find a way to pack them and ship them cheap enough, it's a great idea, except not a lot of storage space at our DR home. These things are huge, like truck tires.

I had a Venza - I know the size.

We store ours up in the air , in the garage under the roof.

My last car went through tires like crazy.... that'swhy I'm a VIP sort of, at Tire Rack.
Got less than 10K from the rears and about twice that from the front ones.

The rubber never left the road.... cars w/ power and good suspension EAT rubber three meals a day.
The wheels are canted in to squat the vehicle solidly on the pavement.

Great fun..... and actually, it is fun buying the tires........... for me, anyway.
That's how i found the Hankooks

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
I check my tires every Sunday. Make sure the air pressure is right. I balance and align them several times a year. They simply don't last. Punctures, uneven wear continues no matter what I do. If I buy the top end tire in the DR will it actually make a difference?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Actually looked at the date on the side of the tire and it was within a few months of manufacture. The guy I bought them from was above board. I understand in the DR sometimes the tires that are being sold are a couple of years from the date of manufacture. Buyer beware.

LTSteve

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
So what's the verdict? How do you ship tires to the DR?
We are in the same situation. Looked everywhere last week and couldn't find the the same A/T Toyo tires for our Hilux.
We found BF Goodrich A/T TA 31X10.50R15 6 ply @ NTB. Buy 3 and the 4th one is free $600us.
In DR we found 4ply Taiwan & Canada made for $7500 and yes they were expired.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Use a mudanza.... Rosa del Monte, Awilda, there are many...

search 'mudanza ' on here to get help.

Mine were ~$30 tire

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Use a mudanza.... Rosa del Monte, Awilda, there are many...

search 'mudanza ' on here to get help.

Mine were ~$30 tire

You get what you pay for. If you want a good steel belted radial it will cost a lot more than $30 a tire. I am talking about a tire that will give you at least 40-50 thousand miles and hold up under DR roads. It will cost you about $100usd per tire. You can find them in the DR but you have to specify to the seller what you will pay for. It is not that difficult and certainly easier than importing them yourself.

LTSteve

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You get what you pay for. If you want a good steel belted radial it will cost a lot more than $30 a tire. I am talking about a tire that will give you at least 40-50 thousand miles and hold up under DR roads. It will cost you about $100usd per tire. You can find them in the DR but you have to specify to the seller what you will pay for. It is not that difficult and certainly easier than importing them yourself.

LTSteve

He paid $30 a tire to SHIP the tires to DR, not to buy them!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks AE.. a bit early in the day for some of us - it seems.

$500 a set of 4..... $28 each to ship..........

Excellent tires......

Lt Steve likes to buy his tires in RD
CCCologne likes to buy his TV's here

I buy both in NoAmerica.....:ermm: