Fishing adventures in DR? Close to the North Coast?

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Hi,

I have a couple of friends that are coming down a month to Cabarete on the North Coast. They have filmed several fishing episodes (one example here from Key West Fishing episode 13 - P? jakt etter s?lvspaden on Vimeo ) They are on vacation, but still they are interested in filming some interesting fishing if it?s fairly close (Punta Cana is probably too far) to Cabarete.
Jarabacoa, Punta Rucia, and Las Terrenas is probably the limit.

Any interesting fishing adventures on our beautiful island? It?s not my cup of tea so please help...

Thanks in advance

canned oj

Oct 24, 2013
Sosua has fishing charter boats. $400 usd for 4 to 5 hours $80 a piece x 5 guys. The only thing I caught was a buzz. After realizing the fish where not biting, started drinking heavily (free drinks). I have seen some nice catches though.

canned oj

Oct 24, 2013
I started a thread called fresh water fishing a while ago. Very informative reply's. DR1 member Property service team had a lot of knowledge on the subject. The thread is still there found it using search, before I posted this.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I started a thread called fresh water fishing a while ago. Very informative reply's. DR1 member Property service team had a lot of knowledge on the subject. The thread is still there found it using search, before I posted this.

Ohhh yeah the excellent search function. This is what I get using it: http://www.dr1.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4574641 However I found it searching through your posts. Thanks! :)

Anymore fishing adventures out there?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I would suggest that they either fish Las Terrenas or Samana Bay. In Las Terrenas the fisherman bring in the catch everyday and sell it fresh right on the beach across from Plaza Mango y Coco. Makes for good footage and they can probably get some tips from the local fisherman.

LTSteve

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Right outside Cabarete, on the east side is La Boca, on the Yasica River outlet to the ocean. Wilson, an English speaking Dominican and nice guy, does fishing excursions on the river, usually for snook (robalo). Then he'll bring you back and cook your lunch with the day's catch in his little hut across the river. It was a very good experience for those I've sent there.

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Hi,

I have a couple of friends that are coming down a month to Cabarete on the North Coast. They have filmed several fishing episodes (one example here from Key West Fishing episode 13 - P? jakt etter s?lvspaden on Vimeo ) They are on vacation, but still they are interested in filming some interesting fishing if it?s fairly close (Punta Cana is probably too far) to Cabarete.
Jarabacoa, Punta Rucia, and Las Terrenas is probably the limit.

Any interesting fishing adventures on our beautiful island? It?s not my cup of tea so please help...

Thanks in advance

They are coming from Norway, I suppose. Or they are Norwegians at least. I know nothing about fishing, so I used Google. This is what I found (can't vouch for accuracy of the info, though):

tripadvisor

IguanaMama

POP 1

POP 2

Maybe some of the links might be of value.

Cheers!

dom

Jun 1, 2011
i go deep sea fishing on my 40ft boat almost every weekend, specially now as its mahi season pm me and lets see if we can coordinate something

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Nothing up at Jarabacoa? My thinking as a novice...is that those clean rivers and falls up there would be nice to fish in.

PropertyServiceTeam

Apr 17, 2013
el yaque del norte up from the presa have some fishes but is not worth,. mostly dajaos up to 1 feet. just in some months the bases coming up from the damlake!

PropertyServiceTeam

Apr 17, 2013
presa de rincon is maybe a goal, basses, carps and catfishes, you see some fishes on the highway and they dont catch the big ones. But you need to stay over night and rent a boat. try to hire a local as a guide!!

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
La Boca fishing were no success but some nice catches on the trip leaving from Sosua....
photo.php

May 29, 2006
If they can make the time, they should check out the Turks and Caicos for bone fishing. It's two hops in a small plane from POP and for sports fishermen, it's a huge draw. I don't know if there is bone fishing in the DR. Not good for eating, they are just good fighters and aggressive. It's done in shallow areas.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
Try Mel's Tours in Sosua. They are a lot less money than Iguana Mama, and I have had very good luck with their trips.
I have never taken the fishing trip.