Sucks to be here....NY

W

wobbly

This morning when I woke up it was 29 degrees F. The ground was covered with approximately 4" of snow which is only a foreshadow to the snows that will be here in a few weeks. Of course that snow will be all gone by the first of May, and then we get excessive amounts of rain thru the end of may. We always say in western NY that there is really only 2 seasons here, winter season and construction season.

Of course that 3 weeks of nice weather we get in late July and early August are marvelous and the greenery is beautiful only to be followed by the start of another long, cold winter.

Our hectic schedules here warrant little rest and the fast paced American way further enhances our stress of everyday life. I read one time in a wonderful book called "The Way Of The Peaceful Warrior" that "happiness does not come with expecting more, it comes when accepting less". This ticked me off when I first read it but then realized that it does not mean we should not strive for more, but it does mean we will be happier when we accept what we have today.

I have come to realize that I do not need all the 'stuff' I have and would gladly trade it all in for a bit of serenity. I find that serenity on my visits to the Dominican Republic. That is why I have asked for help on this board to help indoctrinate me and my wife on what we could expect if we embark on a life in the DR.

People seem to find it necessary to tell us how terrible it is there and how difficult it will be. We are realists and know that nothing is perfect. We have the means to live the way we feel we need to, so that is not the issue. We do not need all the things we have today. We do not need the 5 bedroom house with 4 bathrooms we presently have. We do not need the Lincoln, the PT cruiser nor the 4x4 pick-em up truck. We don't need the $100.00 dinners out or the speaking engagements I often have to deal with when our free time is so precious. We don't need the shopping trips to the city just to buy the things that will impress our peers. We need a slower more relaxed lifestyle. We are wanting to hear from some positive people that can help our transition to the DR be more comfortable.

Please do not reply with negative garbage.....heard it before. I've been in the trenches both through my previous addiction and also in military duty for my country.

Thanks, The Wobbler

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Wobbler: I can sypathize with your gray skies situation and shoveling that stinking snow. I dont want to even see a flake in the movies. But lets get to the point. Dominican Republic is only bad for the poor. You say you are not poor. So what is the problem? If you got money to buy a house, a car and maintain sound good living expenses, then you have no problem. But when some jerk writes over here saying that he wants to move with his wife and he only has $30,000 I got to climb all over his behind. You have to be a nerd to think you can make it in such an expensive country with that kind of money. Tell me, what is your approximate net worth, or better yet what is your liquidity to come and live here? Then I can tell you. I will say positive things for those with the greenbacks, but the rif.raf has to stay away. There is no more room for homeless people here.

W

wobbly

Lets just say we have enough to make ouselves very comfortable for the rest of our lives. To be honest though, what seems to be important to you is not important to me. I followed your negative posts this morning and to be quite frank.....would prefer that you do not offer me any information as I believe it will be tainted with negativity.
Would love some help from Criss or Carol, they seem to have real lives.

The Wobbler

K

KenDP

In my other life, I lived in Hyde Park, NY. Had always lived where it gets cold in winter. During the years that I was addicted to downhill skiing, I could hardly wait for winter. But then, my interests changed and winter became something to endure. So I understand your desires for a change.

I have been living in the DR since 1986 and have no desire to live again in the US. One reason is that I feel old in the US; society is geared to making you a senior citizen at 55. That is not the case here. If you can contribute in any way, it makes no difference what your age is. When someone in his 90s can be taken seriously as a presidential candiate, then it is obvious that age is not the barrier it is in the US.

It sounds from your answer to TW that you have sufficient money to live where you please. Certainly more than my wife and I do. But we live comfortably, more so that would be possible in the US. One of the tricks is to live on the country. By that I mean never think in terms of the exchane rate. We think about spending RD$100 in same way we once did US$100.

We lived for most of the time in Samana, but now live in Sosua--in an apartment that we could never afford in the states. We liked Samana, but it is better for us in Sosua at this time since we have much better access to supermarkets, doctors and dentists, etc.

I like your attitude, as evidenced in the most recent postings, as well as previous. I'm certain you'll have no trouble making the adjustment. If I can help you in any way, don't hesitate to let me know. Buena suerte!

M

marykohn

I'm not a Dominican, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :)
It's nice to hear somebody looking for something positive about the DR.
Aside from the beauty from the south coast to the north coast, and all the way in between, you've got great people with few needs and the biggest smiles you've ever seen.
If that's what you're looking for, you will find it wherever you go.
The Dominican Republic too!

W

wobbly

Thank you so much for the positive input! We will be in the DR on November 3rd. and will be staying at the Iberostar Costa Dorada near POP. Maybe we could meet up in Sosua and trade thoughts.......?

W

wobbly

Great line!

The DR is beautiful and I genuinely like the people and their wonderful smiles.

Maybe you can stay again at the Holiday Inn Express and figure out how to deal with Bin Laden?

M

me

Sucks EVEN MORE to be in the DR

NO COMMENT ...... , do yourself a favor and stop dreaming

J

Jerry

But you have to admit that our summer was better this year then last year. But I agree that it is too cold way too early. Luckily I am north of Buffalo so we do not get the snow like the south towns get.

Jerry

T

Thomas robert

That is the best "opening line" I have ever sen to a "post" Lets see more of your sense of humor!Thomas Robert

E

El Jefecito

Sounds like the life I hope to enjoy in DR when I retire. A buddy of mine who used to also live there and I are planning on buying land near Cabo Rojo, near or on the beach, build a couple of simple but strong concrete block houses and spend quality time with family and friends. Beautiful beach, cold Presidente, and Satellite TV...heaven! I know it is not the High LIfe area of the DR and it is away from most other folks from the US, but that can be a good thing. When I lived there before I spent most of my time with Dominicans anyway. I love Dominican food, ilove a good ron y coca cola, and tostones. Don't need fancy restaurants and discos...

Still, if i want it I can drive to Sto. Dom., Santiago, Samana, whereever...after all I'm going to be there to do what I want, on my own time...That's my idea of PAradise.

J

Jan

Re: also sucks to be in PA..and not here much long

I am leaving PA to move to RD in 6 days!! I have no where as much money as you!! Wish I did but I cant stay away from RD. Love the life stylew and the attitudes of the people. I am going there no matter what I have to do! And I have faith all will be great! Vida es bueno, aunque sea dura!!! Go for it!! follow your dream! you will always wonder if you don't...

J

Jan

Re: Sucks EVEN MORE to be in the DR

Never stop dreaming...life with out dreams would be not worth living!!

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Wobbly you can take it or leave it

It is your choice to read responses. Negative to you is what you dont want to hear.

C

Carol

For TW & AZB

Out of respect for Rob and Dolores and other posters on this board I will not respond to any more of your posts unless it be constructive information about the DR. I suggest that maybe you should take that view also.

M

Marion Harshman

Bravo,
My husband and I moved to the North Coast from NYC 15 years ago. Love every minute of our life here. Ignore negativity life can be a joy here.

W

wobbly

Love the positive!

Happiness does not come in EXPECTING more in comes in ACCEPTING less.

Thanks for the positive input!

J

John

Re: Wobbly you can take it or leave it

wow! $30.000 dollars is LITTLE money? In Sweden, $30.000 equals 300.000 SEK and that kind of cash is by most people considered a fortune! DR is an expensive country? What kind of money does dominicans earn? The minimum income is 5.000 pesos, I believe!? In a year, that is 100.000 SEK. And 300.000 is not much? Hm...