Rusty fan blades

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
just wondering if anyone has had any luck in combatting rust in these tropical climes. I live close to the ocean, so it's a constant battle for me.

My ceiling fans are the good old KDK ones. They work flawlessly but after time the metal blades rust up, particularly on the leading edges. Although they still work ok and not noticeable when rotating, they are starting to look a bit tired.

I have already refurbished one set myself , but the rust is already starting to show through after 12 months.

So here is what I was thinking of doing: Removing all the surface rust and treating with some Kurust that I bought from the UK. I was then thinking of painting them with epoxy swimming pool paint to try and get a good air tight weather seal on them. Spraying them with spray paint and lacquer from a can didn't last long.

Anyone have any better ideas? And before anyone else says it, I don't want to replace them as they work fine! (unless you can buy the blades cheaper than a pot of paint!)

May 29, 2006
Seems to me you would be best off refinishing them. At least they're metal. The press board fins end up sagging in the humidity.

I know someone who refinished some outside lights last fall. They looked like junk, but a bit of sand paper and spray paint/and primer and they were like new. The key thing is really get every last spec of rust off of them or it will just bubble through.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
If there just flat, no any special twist, remake them out of Stainless steel or brass which would be super cool too, much more expensive thought!

g'luck

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When they are brand new, you can clean off the dust, and protect the blades from rusting with a weekly wipe down with "W D 40", or "3 in 1" oil.
Or do like most of us here,
"What Rust"??????????????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

popvisitor.

Nov 14, 2013
just wondering if anyone has had any luck in combatting rust in these tropical climes. I live close to the ocean, so it's a constant battle for me.

My ceiling fans are the good old KDK ones. They work flawlessly but after time the metal blades rust up, particularly on the leading edges. Although they still work ok and not noticeable when rotating, they are starting to look a bit tired.

I have already refurbished one set myself , but the rust is already starting to show through after 12 months.

So here is what I was thinking of doing: Removing all the surface rust and treating with some Kurust that I bought from the UK. I was then thinking of painting them with epoxy swimming pool paint to try and get a good air tight weather seal on them. Spraying them with spray paint and lacquer from a can didn't last long.

Anyone have any better ideas? And before anyone else says it, I don't want to replace them as they work fine! (unless you can buy the blades cheaper than a pot of paint!)

Any place local that can powder coat?

May 29, 2006
Agreed they should be cleaned every week or two. One of my pet peeves is seeing dirty fan blades, esp in restaurants.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Powder Coat"????????
I had THAT once!!!!!
I think you might be on to something "POP"!
If "KDK" would do THAT!!!
Their fans would last forever.
But, I guess that might not fit their "Business Plan!

"Ocean View",."Trumps",.."Rust Fans",... "All Day Long"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"PETER" I have my maid climb up on a step ladder every two weeks to clean the fan blades!!!!
I ALWAYS, lay on the floor under the ladder just to be sure she doesn't miss anything!!!

Last edited:

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You can order new ones with plastic blades. Not cheap but I don't have to do this every year. a pain in the neck.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I've had them for 3-4 years. Go on line Google fans with plastic blades. All I do is clean them every 3 months. they are not cheap, but they are less then a new fan every 2-3 years. Hope this helps. We live in Cabarete , the wind and rain on the coast is what it is.