Playa Dorada Golf - Caddie Question

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
As a resident of Puerto Plata I receive the resident's green fee rate at PD.

I have recently 'partnered' with a new caddie who is enthusiastic and knowledgeable, however, he tells me that as a resident I could bypass paying the caddie fee to the caddie master and pay him direct, plus his tip on top.

Any other regulars heard this story or use this method, or is he trying to pull the wool?

Anyone know how much, if anything, of the caddie fee goes to the caddie?

Thanks.

FB.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Fred, I can only tell you that we always pay the caddie directly and only tell the caddie master which guy we want, but don't give him any money. That way the caddie can pay whatever fee they pay and keep the rest without telling the amount he was given. The sad part is that Dominicans don't have to take a caddie but gringos do, which is absurdly blatant discrimination.
We've bitc*ed loudly but it's fallen on deaf ears so far. They also won't let us be full members, although a couple of guys we know, gringos, are members, but for a long time, like 10+ years or so. Management there is thoroughly ignorant of customer service and totally lack creativity in increasing their revenues. No more drink cart circling around for example, or a little sandwich, hot dog or snack to grab at the turn. We'd all love to have a nearby alternative, but don't see that happening anytime soon. Maybe Lifestyle or someone will put a bunch of money into the Costambar 9-holer one day, but it's now practically unplayable. :(

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
As a resident of Puerto Plata I receive the resident's green fee rate at PD.

I have recently 'partnered' with a new caddie who is enthusiastic and knowledgeable, however, he tells me that as a resident I could bypass paying the caddie fee to the caddie master and pay him direct, plus his tip on top.

Any other regulars heard this story or use this method, or is he trying to pull the wool?

Anyone know how much, if anything, of the caddie fee goes to the caddie?

Thanks.

FB.

What kind of shape was the course in? Should I bring my clubs when I come down there for Christmas vacay?

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
My understanding Fred is that tourists have to pay the caddie fee at the caddie shack and this is split between all of the caddies there on that given day. As a resident or member you can pay the caddie directly and this amount is kept by the caddie - it is not split between the others. As TFlea mentioned if you are a gringo a caddie is forced on you - if you are dominican you do not need to take a caddie. Very unfair practice.

As for the conditions PaGuyinDr - it is Playa Dorada and the conditions are never great. Front nine greens are now decent but back nine greens are about the same as your typical municipal course tee boxes - very shaggy and rough. Bunkers are very inconsistent with many being almost unplayable. If you take a cart chances are you will have to change it as it will die before you get anywhere near 18 holes of golf in. Layout and design is great it is just that they don't have the knowledge to take care of it properly. A real shame.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
PaGuy, bring the clubs, it's worth playing and the rental clubs are not so great. On the other hand, you can still play the 9 holes still open at Playa Grande, and they have some brand new Taylor Made rentals that are superior to what most people
lug around. And brand new carts as well. But the course is still under construction for the next year or so. But the fantastic views are still there.

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
The course conditions depend on what day of the week you play. Just before or just after the weekends ie Friday or Monday, the place seems to be in better condition than during the week. I think this is because Fridays they are preparing the place for the members and Mondays still get the benefit of that. I played on Friday last and all the greens were fine, some are still slower than others but generally there is plenty of grass and they roll nicely after being cut. I agree with the state of the bunkers, appalling. Even if those were sorted out the quality of the course does not justify the visitors fee.