what is/are tostones? *DC* *DC*

H

hillbilly

The long answer

They are a mainstay of the Dominican and Cuban and Puerto Rican diets.
Plaintains are the only food that will be hapopily eated threetimes a day, each one a different flavor.

Plaintains are large green, yellow, speckeled, or nearly black, cousins to the banana. (Depending on their ripeness)

Well the green ones are used for 'tos-tones',
they are peeled, chopped into two inch chunks, fried in medium hot oil until yellow and sort of toasty hard on the outside.
Taken out. Squashed. Tossed into icey cold , salted water for a second, they are then re fried in hot-hot oil (be careful of the splatter) until hard and crispy....but soft inside...They can be over fried.

Taken out, placed on a paper towel, lightly salted...ummmm! GOOD!

The green ones can also be sliced very thinly on a mandolin and deep fried like potato chips--just one pass thru the oil...

HB, the COOK

J

John

Re: The long answer

hey hillbily you are almost dominican. you are right, there are so good. but be careful the more plantain you eat, the more idiot you get.

T

Thomas robert

Let,s not forget Platanos maduros, y mangu de platanos!Tom

H

hillbilly

The funny thing is, John, that plantains

contain trace amounts of many important vitamins, including iron, so if you eat them you get stronger...

Fact: Many school districts in the US buy large quantities of very ripe plantains to mix into their Tutti-Frutti ice creams and desserts in the school lunchy programs.. It fulfills thr requirements for iron...

Far from "bruteina" it seems that platanos have proteinas!!

HB

P

PITA

HILLBILY: Re: The funny thing is....

Thanks for that info Hillbilly! I'm heavy into health foods, and good nutrition. I happen to believe that God knew what He was doing when He put that stuff on our planet. Good to know.
pita

K

Keith R

Re: Stop it, HB! You're making me hungry!

Tostones are one of my favorite foods -- at least the way my wife cooks them! [Hers are the best I've eaten, and I've tried just about every toston source the DR has to offer! :) ] Something about the way she mashes and fries them. Anyhoo...I like mine with a sprinkle of Tobasco sauce rather than salt. Yum! Or dip them in any meat sauce...God! This is making me hungry!

K

Keith R

John,

I'll never forget how puzzled I was when I first heard a driver yell at a pedesterian crossing Av. 27 de Feb. during a green light, "Idiota! Deja de comer tanto platino!" Not long thereafter I was watching "Nueba Yol" with my wife in a theater in SD, and Luisito, after an intense struggle to figure out how to open a sofa bed, remarked "Este mueble no fue dese?ado por algien que come platino!" The theater erupted with laughter, but I couldn't see what was so funny. Later my wife explained the Dominican joke about bruteina...After that, I had a whole new understanding of some skits on "de Remate." :)
Atentamente,
Keith

M

marykohn

verde o no, cuentame

sobre bruteina por favor.
marykohn@yahoo.com...