stock up on stuff, increased prices are coming

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Yup, it was mentioned a while back that prices in food was going to increase again
and here it is.

I agree, stock up!

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It has been said, and correctly, "You Can't TAX a Nation into Prosperity!
Or, "Tax AND THEN Spend" either!!!!!
I think it's about time for our annual,"DR1" "Predictions for Next Year" thread!!!!
For those of us, like me, who predicted the DR Pesos, at 50 to 1 to the US Dollar, all I can say is, the "Banco Central" was able to prove us wrong, by massive infusion of money into the DR's economy!!!!
Down side is, they borrowed the MONEY!
And can't pay back the loans!!!
I will AGAIN predict the peso at 50 to 1 for next year!!!!!
"Sooner, or Later", I'll be RIGHT!!!!!
I "PREDICT", SOONER!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Nothing new here.

They will raise the price because the minimum wage had gone up and the food companies and supermarket have to raise the prices in order to profit and since now no one can live with new food prices government have to raise the minimum wage and since minimum wage had gone up food prices have to go up and...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
CC, I'm still waiting for that 50 pesos, it was supposed to come this year. I had already adjusted my spending to that exchange rate!

Feb 15, 2005
Many local people were please about the 50-1 years ago. Only to see the ration drop but the prices of products stay the same. Is this what we are looking at?

Dandman

May 17, 2004
It has never been proven that an increase in minimum wage has led to inflation or unemployment. Keeping poor people working at poverty wage improves nothing. In fact, quite the opposite. Higher minimum wages allow for more spending and creates more employment.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The, "56 to 1" was a fluke due to "Hipolito's" mismanagement of EVERYTHING!!!!!
This time it's due to "Borrow & Spend" by "Leonel", & "Danilo"!
I'm ready for the collapse of the DR's economy.
I have US $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and 12ga. shotgun shells for my "Mossy"! :bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It has never been proven that an increase in minimum wage has led to inflation or unemployment. Keeping poor people working at poverty wage improves nothing. In fact, quite the opposite. Higher minimum wages allow for more spending and creates more employment.

maybe you don't live here and cannot see first hand the dynamics of dominican economy. in 7 years that i have been here the changes in minimum wage were always followed by increase in prices. it is also tied to petrol costs (both in terms of transport and electricity). the higher the costs of production the more expensive the product. it is simple. the purchase power is not changing for better.

Dandman

May 17, 2004
Been here a lot longer than 7 years. In my opinion, price increases have been due to the dollar/peso exchange rate than to minimum wage. None of us gain by keeping poor people poor.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Isn't THAT, just "Dandy"??????
He hit the "PC" ball, out of the stadium!!!!!
We all benefit by keeping the "Poor People POOR"!
Every time we eat something they "Plant & Pick", or watch a "Flat Screen" they make!!!
And, especially "SCREW" a "Dominicana" for 500 pesos!!!!
It always was, is, and will continue to be, of an "Economic Benefit" to the higher classes to keep the "Poor,POOR"!
At lest in the "Real World", where it actually counts!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009

You apparently know nothing about business or economics.

Wages = the price of labor

prices are determined by the intersection and interaction between supply and demand.

all interference in this process creates inefficiencies and externalities.

Minimum wage laws are the dumbest policies around.
1. They prevent people who desperately need income and a
start at the bottom of the ladder from doing so.
2. They prevent small business (typically the largest employer 70+% in the US) from expanding - hiring labor at prices it can actually afford.
3. They cause corruption and displacement of natives - employers desperate for labor hire people desperate for work - off books and under the table: illegal immigrant labor.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"kdolo", stop trying to confuse "Dandy" with the economic facts!!!
He has a "Liberal Progressive Agenda", and he's sticking to it!!!!!
(See his, "None of us gain by keeping poor people poor" comment!)
No one here is "Keeping" poor people poor, economic realities does THAT!!!
"FACTS" are only for "Conservatives"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jan 9, 2004
It has never been proven that an increase in minimum wage has led to inflation or unemployment.

Perhaps. But when an increase in the minimum wage does not correlate to a growth in output of goods....you have the classic definition of inflation....and that is...to much money chasing too few goods.

This is further exacerbated in a country like the DR where a proportionately higher number of workers (relative to the US/EU) earn that minumum wage.

The impact of those wages is dealt with immediately by businesess as they are forced to raise prices to pay those minimum wages to their workers....and the cycle begins.

So you are perhaps correct in taking your statement in isolation....but when you actually follow what happens....you see what DV8 and others see....Inflation.....and more of it is coming soon...in January.

Keeping poor people working at poverty wage improves nothing. In fact, quite the opposite. Higher minimum wages allow for more spending and creates more employment.

Raising wages without more is a no win situation. You still have an uneducated workforce who will ultimately pay those higher prices with those wages....and when that happens....the poor are still poor.

Keeping them ignorant and uneducated, as DV8 has also alluded to, is the real problem in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
"FACTS" are only for "Conservatives"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Did you keep a straight face when you typed that ???
lol.......That's the best laugh I've had today CCCCC.
It beat even your outdated Canadian material.
:laugh:

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012

Isn't keeping poor people poor is THE IDEA for DR government.

More spending? Here?

You either have money here or you don't. Local hard working people here work their asses off and only to get paid, WHAT? $35/week after all said and done with government fees? Have you ever check the actual prices on food and drinks alone? People love cervesa and Brugal and have you ever bought them? I used to pay that much for imported stuff in the us. $100 RD for a bottle for local stuff is truly a highway robbery against their people when they consume bottles after bottles. And let's not get into per slices and per pieces colmador rob off of those already high prices.

More spending??? With what money???

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Splilled my monte real coffee all over wet floor last week. Walked up to one and only local colmado. Santo domingo 1 lb packet 350 pesos. Ladron!! Bought one of the small packets to make one coffee for 10 pesos ( I think ) because I really needed my morning coffee.
U see the locals buying oil by the mesure, sugar, acer ( soap powder ), cigarettes..... I try to explain to my inlaws that its cheaper to buy a bigger quantity in town ( or bigger village ) and use it over the week or month. / to no avail. My sister in kaw say if she buys it, they use it, whatever quantity.
Should seve them right for all living in mothers house ( youngest is 35 ), to save money for bebida...... cheapsters.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
If you earn a minimum wage it is certain that your employer would pay you less if he could. If he values you, he will pay you more. If you want more money work harder, smarter and seek out every opportunity you have, in order to learn something new and eventually earn more money. The problem here is very few do any of those things. And too many are trying to scam the system, the people, the tourists, etc, etc.

But the weather is great and I have a U.S. Passport sooo.. No mi problema.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Splilled my monte real coffee all over wet floor last week. Walked up to one and only local colmado. Santo domingo 1 lb packet 350 pesos. Ladron!! Bought one of the small packets to make one coffee for 10 pesos ( I think ) because I really needed my morning coffee.
U see the locals buying oil by the mesure, sugar, acer ( soap powder ), cigarettes..... I try to explain to my inlaws that its cheaper to buy a bigger quantity in town ( or bigger village ) and use it over the week or month. / to no avail. My sister in kaw say if she buys it, they use it, whatever quantity.
Should seve them right for all living in mothers house ( youngest is 35 ), to save money for bebida...... cheapsters.
That's true. You can buy a big bottle of dishwasher soap or a small bottle, but 'they' (the maids) always manage to finish it in a week. When you buy meat for a week in the supermarket, the first day after the shopping we have meat like we are feeding an orphanage. They make three different juices the first day after the shopping, which are not good anymore the next day, instead of making one juice every day with one fruit.