english books

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Tried searching but didnt come up with much......

Any stores with english/french books in POP region or santiago ( but not the one in national cos I ve read them out )???

I m pretty desprate cos I read fast and I ve read my 50 books like 6 times each over the last 2 years. I m so despreate I order dr newspapers ( cos they dont make it to my campo) and ride my bike everyday ( risking my life and limbs ) to nearby village to pick them up.

I read some on a kindle type device, but I prefer real books for some unkown reason, and of course they dont stop when the lights go out.....

Thanks all.

Ps. Second hand is even better.......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
meeting place in POP has books for sale, from 20 pesos to few hundred. mostly used with some new.
there is also a library in costambar with books in english, french and german.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
What is "meeting place" in pop, please. I m real intrested.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
cobraboy in Jarabacoa was giving away boxes of books on the Swap Meet thread, you could send him a PM to see if he still has them.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Great idea the swap, back in switzerland I work in a restaurant called the cottage and we have loads of books. One rule u take one, u leave one. There is a HUGE turnover I would have never imagined.....

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
There is a Library in Puerto Plata in front of the Caraibes Bus Terminal... in his backstore the guy has a lot of used English and German books.

I used to go there and buy 8-10 books per week... The next week I would bring back the ones from the week before and pick up more and he would charge me only 10 pesos per new book...

But I went through his stock so now I go to Costambar where I found my_Paradise ! I'm there once a week to exchange books... about 7 per week, depending on the size of the book.... Let's say I read A LOT !!!

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Great thanks dv8, will be sure to make the trip thursday. Thanks a heap.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
Tried searching but didnt come up with much......

Any stores with english/french books in POP region or santiago ( but not the one in national cos I ve read them out )???

I m pretty desprate cos I read fast and I ve read my 50 books like 6 times each over the last 2 years. I m so despreate I order dr newspapers ( cos they dont make it to my campo) and ride my bike everyday ( risking my life and limbs ) to nearby village to pick them up.

I read some on a kindle type device, but I prefer real books for some unkown reason, and of course they dont stop when the lights go out.....

Thanks all.

Ps. Second hand is even better.......
try amazon.com

used books available...

get used to ebooks, advantages of ebooks

Portability, laptop, tablet or e-book reader

Foreign language learning, with integrated dictionary a click away

you can export your notes, a personalized resume of the book, underline, highlight, strike-through, insert sticky-notes etc

Free books online.

small portable "library" and free programs to organize your books

there are converters to change from say pdf to EPUB [best] or any other format

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Great thanks dv8, will be sure to make the trip thursday. Thanks a heap.

no problemo. there is also a book shop in sosua, book nook. someone will surely give you a location.

i also prefer traditional books. nothing better. but i have quite a collection of ebooks, about 2000 altogether, mostly classics and lots of SF. different formats. i spit on epub, my favourite is microsoft reader. if you would like some ebooks for a change let me know, i can email them or put on a CD/DVD for you.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
There's a great bookstore in Sosua by the beachway entrance to the left of Checkpoint Bar, only weekdays until 3 pm.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Anyone want books, feel free to PM me and stop by Cabarete to pick them up. You can have them all for free...but if you bring me one bar chocolate bar, then i will be even happier.

I've given a lot away already, but i have around two more boxes left. They're good books, almost all well known best sellers,,,mostly non-fiction, but really a mix of everything.

Frankl

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
derfish, meeting place always slows down in the summer and comes back to life in the winter when the owners are here (canadians, i think).

umeafdb

Mar 9, 2010
Yes, The Meeting Place (calle 60, Puerto Plata -- between central park and the Melacon) is a volunteer info/resource center for ex-pats and the international community. It has inexpensive books to sell, books about the Dominican to lend, and has activities, films, discussions, receptions (mainly in English) about various topics of interest to the international community here. See the webscite Meeting Place Puerto Plata | International English Language Cultural and Community Center in the Dominican Republic. Better yet drop by anytime between 11 and 5. Do not forget Friday Dec 13 is the Swedish St Lucia celebration from 2 to 6. All are invited to sample Swedish holiday treats.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Ok, thanks all dropped by the meetingplace, found what I needed. Lovely little place. By the way opening hours are dominican style. Opened at 1200 ish.
Coincidence its the same place a niece of mine goes to play theater.......

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Ok, thanks all dropped by the meetingplace, found what I needed.
I envy you. I have now attempted to visit there SEVEN times, on different days of the week and different times, but always when they were supposedly open according to their website or notices outside.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
True, apparently it is dominican style opening times. I had a stroke of luck my wife was buying sewing stuff in a small store down the road just I was going to forget the meetingplace, and an elder man walked passed, not very dominican style but not very tourist either, so I followed and he was the guy opening up....
Funny thing at 1100 it was closed so I phoned the number they say to call on the door if no one is there, and it rang inside.....very useful....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i only even went there to the scheduled meetings. apart from this i have never seen the place open and i passed by frequently ;) :)