Christmas cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Today I recieved my first Christmas card of the season. How wonderful and best of all it was a CHRISTMAS CARD, "Merry Christmas" it said, "Have a Happy New Year".

I guess I was just pleased not to see the Liberal "Happy Holidays".

It's Christmas for God's sake!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've never heard anyone in DR say anything except Feliz Navidad, one of the good things about the country.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What were you expecting, Happy Festivus?

festivus.jpg

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I believe the term "happy holidays" is used when addressing a wider group as it is also now hanukkah which is a jewish fesitval.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in polish it's "Wesołych Świąt" which roughly translates into "merry holidays". we add "Bożego Narodzenia" (literally "god's birth", christmas) or "Wielkanocy" (literally "great night", easter). i never paid attention to the phrase until i took note of the PC world order. of course i come form the land where minorities are really minor so there was no need for making up universal holiday greetings. as a non religious person i have no f**ks to give about holiday greetings anyways as long as i get my days off work. glad you were happy with your card, thou. i appreciate happiness.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Unless I know someone celebrates Xmas I am one of those who says Happy Holidays, especially since I had my own business and sent Xmas cards to my clients. Why would I assume everyone celebrates Xmas?!

I am from one of the most PC places in the world though :)
The DR is quickly chopping away at my PC ways...People would be horrified from where I am from and I love ruffling their feathers MWAHAHHAHA!

Aug 6, 2006
So long as someone wishes you well, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Channukah, Merry Kwanza, Joyous Festivus, why get offended? When people send a Happy Holidays card to you, they are simply trying not to offend you, thinking perhaps you are Jewish. The last thing on their mind is trying to convert you to atheism with a two-word greeting card. Good wishes are good wishes.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Hannukkah", or however one of the 15 different ways you can spell it, is no over.
"Happy Birthday Jesus"!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can only hope I offend the "PC" crowd, no matter what I say, or when I say it!!!!!!!
About the best thing I can say about being old, is not giving a "$HIT" what anyone else cares about what I say!!!
Same goes for,"Believe", or don't "Believe","Dress","Do", "Eat","Drink","Smoke",or SCREW!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 6, 2006
I think that the Airing of Grievances on Festivus is a perversion of the traditions on Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, when Jews mull over the injustices and sins they have committed during the previous year and receive forgiveness. Seinfeld and most of his writers, I believe, are Jewish. So is the Jerry Stiller and Jason Alexander, who play George Constanza's father and George himself.

Festivus is a sort of Yom Kippur gone horribly wrong.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I'm not religious AT ALL... but just like Xaviar, I view any greeting, regardless of "flavor", a measure of good will and positive wishes. I would hope that any holiday wishes I extend would be accepted in a like manner. BUT... I'm not naive. There are plenty of people out there just itching to complain about SOMETHING, or with a chip on their shoulder. Mostly these types just want to be noticed and get some notoriety, (a glaring symptom of a raging inferiority complex!). I guess if you told them to get EFFED, they might prefer that to a Merry Christmas. At least it would be a sentiment they would understand.

So... bottom line:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL... and to the rest... EFFF U. And a Happy New Year, too! (Is it the year of the Dog? Rat? Snake??? I can never keep track.) LOL

Aug 6, 2006
Interesting. Festivus still sounds more like Jewish humor than Irish humor to me, though.
George Constanza's parents seem a lot more Jewish to me than Italian also.

Every nationality has its own style of bickering. Some are funnier than others. Jerry Stiller is a master of bickering.

Status
Not open for further replies.