Inundation - apartment - question

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Hi, I have a friend that just got an inundation in his apartment... the calentador exploded or something and it did a huge mess, TV doesnt work anymore some of the furnitures are damaged etc...

Owner of the apartment is saying it's not his responsability blablabla and wont give any credit/cash back towards next months for all the damages.

Is he in his right to get a lawyer and get something out of it or there's no point and the owner isnt responible for nothing except maybe the calentador?

Rented appartment unfurnished, calentador included.

Feb 7, 2007
I don't think he has any chance, and if there will be any lawyer who takes his case, it will be only to get money from HIM.

This is not US with all its liability laws... even in US most likely the apt owner, if used, would countersue both the tenant for inappropriate use and the heater manufacturer for product liability.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
There is something called "renter's insurance" that would cover the loss. Without it, in this situation a renter would be "self insured." That means the renter has to replace the lost items or live without them.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This is the "DR", do you REALLY need to ask that question????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"Renters Insurance" in the DR????
You Have GOT To Be JOKING?????????

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
insurance in the Dominican Republic

Yes, I agree, 100% de acuerdo, I am not aware of a practical alternative to self insurance for renters. If you can't afford to replace it, then you are taking a risk by having it. I don't think it would be hard to get Seguros Pepin or a similar local concern to write a renter's policy. I think it would be much more difficult to collect on a claim.

If you can afford high end belongings, I recommend you live amongst people of similar means. How often have we seen people complaining on here of being victims of crimes of opportunity, only to find out they live somewhere like Alma Rosa or Sabana Perdida - hello, what do you expect? The low cost of housing in marginal barrios can be tempting, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't live like Figueroa Baez or Quirino, and rent or buy at prices a chofer de carro publico or a free zone seamstress can afford.

This is the "DR", do you REALLY need to ask that question????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"Renters Insurance" in the DR????
You Have GOT To Be JOKING?????????