Purchasing a Car

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
Ok, so as I've bought several cars in the US, I'm well versed in how all that works, what's needed to do so, that sort of thing. Thing is, very little of my previous experience with anything applies in the DR. I found this out the hard way when I went to open a bank account! Never had so much trouble trying to give someone money in my life!

Anyway, my question is, what do I need to show up with when I go to buy a car in the DR? I'm newly arrived, and while I have a lease agreement and my passport, I don't have any sort of cedula or even a temporary one as of yet. Is this required? Do I need to have car insurance before I go get the car, or do I ever have to have it at all for that matter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Still learning the ropes in many cases. :nervous:

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
All you need is your passport and cash. Insurance is up to you but can be bought at the dealer. Basic insurance is at least recomended. Full insurance can be bought if vehicle is 2001 or newer. Pick the car, pay for it and they register everything then you drive it home. Transfer fees are separete. When all the paperwork is in you go pick it up. If anything on the car is not the way you want it or needs fixing either get it done before you pay or negociate before you drive it away. They will likley not fix it afterwards or just bandaid it. Better of getting it done yourself. Im speaking from my expierence 2 cars in 1 and half years

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Roger is correct. Alternatively, you can come back with a certified bank check. But, you drive away immediately. Buy the insurance from the insurance guy who work for the dealer.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
just a tag on question, are there any reputable car dealers in the PC bavaro area? Or do I really need to get to SD and find one there..

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
It is really simple. We just bought a car from a dealer. We agreed on the price showed a license and wrote a check. The dealer took care of everything else - matricula, transfer of title and insurance. Then we drove home, easier then I ever thought.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you can also wire the money to the dealer's account.

the dealer does everything....
there are many warnings here about doing it yourself ... transfer title, etc

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
just a tag on question, are there any reputable car dealers in the PC bavaro area? Or do I really need to get to SD and find one there..

Never done business with them but El Tanque Motor at Coco Loco and Montilla Motors seem to be doing good business... A couple of other dealers in Higuey also when you head out towards La Romana.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I recommend 100 % El Tanque Motors! Bought my Tucson there 2 month ago. Ask for the salesman from Columbia, Mauricio!

They work with Grupo Viamar and Magna Motors. Their prices are not much higher than they charge in SDQ.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Be sure to use car fax even if the car might be new; check to make sure you are not buying a salvaged Hurricane Sandy car or renovated "totaled car"

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Since its your first time buying a care here, see if they have any first time buyer programs or anything else that they will never disclose to you for a discount...and of course haggle!!! bs them if you need too, but may be best to get a few prices on the same car if buying new. This way you can be sure to get the best price possible at one particular dealer or threaten to go elsewhere, that simple..

Also look into their warranties..you may want to pay for that separate if a new vehicle instead of paying interest on that was well, just depends on what your wanting, even a used car..etc..

Ant

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
If you can, look on the internet and see what the prices are at certain dealers and write them down. When you go to the dealer ask what the price is for cars you have internet price. In almost all cases the price is more once you show up in person. This is what is commonly called the gringo price. Simply walk away instead of listening to him try and explain why the internet price is lower than his quoted price.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I can't say that was the case with my purchase.

I used SuperCarros and called..... showed up - test drove and negotiated a lower price .

Victor Hugo (real name)... Ilisted his number here a few times before
Excellent service.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Are you buying a new car or used? Are you buying through a dealer or private individual? If you buy through a private person the procedure can be compliicated. You need a lawyer to draw up a bill of sale. You need a report from the police to verify that the car is legal and hasn't been stolen. You need the current title. Then once you have all of this you need to go to motor vehicle to transfer the title to your name. This can be a two affair. Go with someone who speaks fluent Spanish or have your attorney do all of this. It is much easier that way.

LTSTeve