Sleeping Pills In The DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are there any US-prescription-quality sleeping pills sold in the DR?

I don't need them now, but am going with one of my sons on a trip in May where there will be a 4 hour time difference. My son, who is a very experienced international traveler, tells me I should take a few sleeping pills along to be sure of getting enough rest.

A Canadian friend told me about Zopiclone. Is that sold here?

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Are there any US-prescription-quality sleeping pills sold in the DR?

I don't need them now, but am going with one of my sons on a trip in May where there will be a 4 hour time difference. My son, who is a very experienced international traveler, tells me I should take a few sleeping pills along to be sure of getting enough rest.

A Canadian friend told me about Zopiclone. Is that sold here?

Ken, I recommend Novo Insomnium (sold as Lunesta in the USA). It comes in 1 mg, 2mg, 3mg sizes of thirty to a box. I use the 2mg when I need it and found that it gives no hangover effect, doesn't knock you out (so if you have to get up to go the bathroom, etc.) just helps you go to sleep. I have never had a negative experience with it and even my mother takes it with no problems.

Price is roughly $ 1,200 RD per box, less if cash as usual.

Google Lunesta to read more about it when you have a chance,
I hope this helps.

359zo0n.jpg

69mc1s.jpg
[/IMG]

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
4 hour time difference is not much, no need to pop pills...IMHO

Vamos a ver. But I would like to be prepared. I want to enjoy the full week on the west coast of Alaska, which is 5 hours different from us now but will be 4 hours different then, not the last few days after I have adjusted to the change.

I have little experience with time zone changes so rely on my son who has a lot But I do know when I am in the US for the 1-hour fall back and leap ahead that I notice some difference in how I feel.

St. Bernard

Dec 8, 2013
I use Dormital, after I have taken one about 20 minutes passes by then I seem to have a window of about half an hour when they are strongest and I have that opportunity to get to sleep. They are over the counter and RD125 for 10. I don't seem to have side effects but I use them every day. When my partner uses them they feel a little groggy the next day, but she gets off to sleep easily with them.

It is not a good idea to take sleeping pills if you don't need to!

That being said Eszopiclona 2mg is a good one to try. I used Zopiclone in Canada.

I still don't think it is a good idea. You can deal with the time change on your own, it's not a huge deal! Never heard of anyone using them for time change before!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I don't need them now, but am going with one of my sons on a trip in May where there will be a 4 hour time difference.

Pop a Molly on take off with a glass of Veuve, and you will adjust to the time difference in a snap.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I tried that once =-- the pills

We , as family were going to Europe......my aged mother, my two little girls and my wife and I -- France.

On leaving, the car never showed up after the big sendoff lunch - Bloody Mary's....... so I had to drive .... slightly looped.
We arrived so late that I had to use the short term parking .... $$$$ OUCH

We rush in to the airport , check in , yayayaya and go to the lounge ( I was a big shot then) just in the nick of time
Close to boarding
I sit back , take a 'Little Killer' and slug back a couple of rums to settle in.
After all, I need to drive on the other end in Paris traffic

As that pill is sliding down, they announce the flight to Paris has been delayed.

Whoosh, before I try sticking my finger down my throat,
I vault up to the counter to explain our situation(big shot back then, remember?)

No problem, sir.... follow me and we go to a super secret lounge.

Flight is delayed for hours...... small children, aging mother and drunk/drugged father.

I plead my case again.....

ZOOOOOM, we are switched to the Liz Taylor/Richard Burton room.... way beyond secret.
The children are put to bed, I decline the kind offer of a drink but accept two toothpicks to keep my eyes open.

Finally, we get to board.... they walk on -- I wobble on.
And take my normal turn to the right..... steerage seats

Oh no, sir--- follow me.
We are so far up front , I can hear the pilots talking, farting - whatever they do up there while the computer flies the plane.

Aaahh, relax, feet up, eyes shut........ finally.

Oh no.... my wife's sharp elbow pierces my ribs.
Are you kidding me ??? says she..... 1st class to Paris ???
CHAMPAGNE!!!

About that drive, I say.....
Leave it to me - says she

OK..... more topping for my sleeper pill...... I am goggled eyed already.

We arrive Paris and get the car..... I am still incoherent (I never take pills)
She's ready... driving gloves on

Oh No, manual transmission.......impossible for her.

The designated drunk will be the driver AGAIN.
Just a 2 1/2 hr trip sandwiched between the Frenchmen.

We made it..... just

The good news???

They upped us again on the return leg......
Living large..... like Liz and Dick
Big shot, remember?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Best thing for time zones changes is Melatonin which is natural and you can buy here. The body naturally produces it before you sleep so it is excellent for time zone issues. I used to travel a lot in a previous life and found it excellent.

Matilda

Aug 6, 2006
I would say, do not pop a pill until you are airborne.

But congratulations on being upgraded. First Class is terrific!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i like melatonine and it is cheap, about 3 pesos per pill. gives you very vivid dreams too. novo insomium (eszopiclone) and insomnium (zopiclone) are ok but not as effective as you may think. some anti depressants have profound sleepiness effect thou, especially mirtazepine.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Best thing for time zones changes is Melatonin which is natural and you can buy here. The body naturally produces it before you sleep so it is excellent for time zone issues. I used to travel a lot in a previous life and found it excellent.

Matilda

I agree with you Matilda. I bought Melatonin sleep cream, it's a soothing cream to help regulate sleep patterns.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cKK-DW4BL.jpg

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Telling people to take ecstasy now? Really?
You can die from it, using it your first time.
Nice advice.
Google it.
Offer sound advice once in awhile and you won't be so hated.

Lighten up Francis. Maybe you need a little paroxetine hydrochloride to take the edge off.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
rethought your post to add a note from my experience. i travel to europe so 4-6 hours difference, depending on the time of the year. on a plane i pop anything from 2 to 4 dramanol pills (dramamine) because i have motion sickness and i do not travel well. the quantity of pills is adjusted to circumstances and total time of travel. they do make you sleepy as it is but i usually add a sleeping pill. i sleep entire flight. i would not recommend taking 4 pills if you are not used to them, they make you very drowsy and lethargic. i do not get affected as much since i have been taking those pills for decades.

when i arrive i make sure i stay awake until evening so that i start living on local time. the same is when i come back to DR, i go to bed as normal, no matter how tired. this is the key to changing time zone.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
No, I don't think so.
Click "dislike" here too, if it makes you feel "special."

Are rats classified as Crepuscular? I think they are. Than I understand why you can't understand the difference between humor ,sarcasm, sarcastic humor and offering sound advice.
May I suggest that you Sir have failed to capture spirit of the forum.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Are rats classified as Crepuscular? I think they are. Than I understand why you can't understand the difference between humor ,sarcasm, sarcastic humor and offering sound advice.
May I suggest that you Sir have failed to capture spirit of the forum.

You are dealing with a poolboy that may have inhaled a few too much chlorine over the years.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I dont think sleeping pills give you the required rest - I was given some strong ones when I broke my arm, it resulted in me falling over the shower step and also didnt help me sleep more than an hour

Status
Not open for further replies.