How are these murderers entering homes?

St. Bernard

Dec 8, 2013
I have been wondering how these murderers are actually entering homes. We all have iron grills on out points of access, and they are not exactly going to go about pulling those things off in silence. We see reports with people tied up and killed in their homes, so how do these criminals actually enter.
It is my thought that you are more likely to be a target in a house rather than an apartment, probably because people in apartments have lots of others around them. Less points of access but the downside is no other exit to get out if you hear them coming in.
I've been considering this more after there was a guy murdered within view of my home yesterday at 11am by a group of people who caught him stealing and decided to lynch him, actually dies of stab wounds. I didn't see the incident but there were lots of police around for the rest of the day. Has me thinking about the people who I'm sharing my neighbourhood with, not only the thief but the mob who would kill a guy over a pair of second hand shoes (apparently).

Strange that the happiest time of year is precisely when people put their guard up, live more paranoid, and have to witness more misery than any other time of the year.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
often enough the attackers are familiar with the victim and would be let in. other times the houses are not secure enough, iron bars are one thing, keeping doors locked is different. many folks have doors open during the day, use their patio a lot and create easy entry point. i would not imagine that a common thief in DR is skilled enough to pick locks. force is used when needed to pry bars and gain access to the house. it is rare to see a good job on iron bars anyways.

May 29, 2006
Almost every padlock I saw in the DR was cheap with untempered metal. You can either pop it open with rock or hammer or cut it with hacksaw. Another point of entry is if the roof isn't really solid. Pop a couple nails on the corrugated metal and you get inside. Or they can get on the grounds and wait for you to come home with your keys in hand.

Knew a guy who was good at picking locks. It's not that hard of a skill to develop. A poorly installed latch can be defeated with a small piece of metal or knife in seconds.

Second story patio near a tree.. lots of ways to get in.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I have been wondering how these murderers are actually entering homes. We all have iron grills on out points of access, and they are not exactly going to go about pulling those things off in silence. We see reports with people tied up and killed in their homes, so how do these criminals actually enter.
It is my thought that you are more likely to be a target in a house rather than an apartment, probably because people in apartments have lots of others around them. Less points of access but the downside is no other exit to get out if you hear them coming in.
I've been considering this more after there was a guy murdered within view of my home yesterday at 11am by a group of people who caught him stealing and decided to lynch him, actually dies of stab wounds. I didn't see the incident but there were lots of police around for the rest of the day. Has me thinking about the people who I'm sharing my neighbourhood with, not only the thief but the mob who would kill a guy over a pair of second hand shoes (apparently).

Strange that the happiest time of year is precisely when people put their guard up, live more paranoid, and have to witness more misery than any other time of the year.

I think maybe the thief was marked; he had already committed many crimes in the area, was warned by the police, but (of course) did not change his ways. So for him, like for others, the other people had enough of him and things boiled over into a lynching?

As long as you don't exhibit the same behavior, you have nothing to worry about.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Peter, you make a great suspect..LOL ;) I say get a dog!!! maybe a few....My 2 little guys are great! all I want to know whats doing outside and they hear everything and anything, but it can be annoying too..

Almost every padlock I saw in the DR was cheap with untempered metal. You can either pop it open with rock or hammer or cut it with hacksaw. Another point of entry is if the roof isn't really solid. Pop a couple nails on the corrugated metal and you get inside. Or they can get on the grounds and wait for you to come home with your keys in hand.

Knew a guy who was good at picking locks. It's not that hard of a skill to develop. A poorly installed latch can be defeated with a small piece of metal or knife in seconds.

Second story patio near a tree.. lots of ways to get in.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Theives will go to the location where there is the least resistance and is more isolated. Those that own a home in an area that is dark at night and away from other houses is a prime target. Many of my American friends who own stand alone houses have had attempted break ins. Theivies are going to a place where they can get in and out relatively easily under the cloak of darkness. You have to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Light up your yard, put bars on the windows, have a dog and consider hiring a security guard at night. It depends how much you value your security. If you feel insecure at night than you have not done a thorough job to fortify your house. Consider owning a gun as a last option. A stun gun is also a good option. Gated condos are a better option for protection. Normally there is security and with the number of people there theives will shy away from attempting to break in. Security shoudl be your #1 priority when buying a home or apartment in the DR.

LTSteve

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Yeah, I've mentioned here before that some years ago my dad was victimized in his home on a loma, at night, and yes, in a very remote location, and yes again, as suggested by dv, barred gates door was not locked. He felt perfectly secure until then. They threatened to kill him at gun point if he didn't cooperate. I keep that incident under permanent advisement.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's hard to live in a prison. During the day our house is all open, front, back. Front gate is closed but not locked. We do have a large dog with us at all times. As soon as the sun starts to go down, we go into lockdown mode.

Mr. AE's brother woke up one morning in SD to find his wallet and watch gone from his nightstand, and the place robbed. They cut through a couple of bars and slid between [must have been skinny!]. Thank God none of them woke up during the robbery, the end might have been very different.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It's hard to live in a prison. During the day our house is all open, front, back. Front gate is closed but not locked. We do have a large dog with us at all times. As soon as the sun starts to go down, we go into lockdown mode.

Mr. AE's brother woke up one morning in SD to find his wallet and watch gone from his nightstand, and the place robbed. They cut through a couple of bars and slid between [must have been skinny!]. Thank God none of them woke up during the robbery, the end might have been very different.

How did they cut the bars? That should make a big enough noise to wake someone up. I really dislike the bars on the windows, and wish I could think of a safety measure that makes the bars unnecessary.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
last christmas someone entered my BIL's apartment. also cut the bars. apparently they were not secure enough. no one really paid attention as it happened in the late afternoon, people were having xmas dinners. i know a handful of people who do not have any bars. they live in either very secure communities with armed guards on patrol around the clock or they have their own guards. plus an alarm.

unlike AE we do not really keep any doors open unless we need to go in and out several times to do something. normally all doors are locked. alarm is switched on early in evening. we have PN patrols in the area.

often when you read about murders and robberies you realize the criminals used vulnerabilities and weaknesses of the house: remote locations, open doors, attack upon arrival and so on. i think that means such as alarms, dogs, bars and guns do not stop criminals, they simply make your place more difficult target and therefore not as desirable.

May 29, 2006
I think the best defense are pointy plants under windows and other points of entry and good exterior lights.

In the US, you can get security cameras that tie into your cell phone...

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
I live out in the campo. I live on SS and am not rich. I have my own house my Dominican wife and I have built on one acre of very rich ground. We have a huge garden, a cow for milk and butter, pigs, dogs and cats, and sometimes rabbits. Our house is made of block with tin roof. Typical Dominican home. no bars on the windows. I refuse to live in prison. We have nothing that we bought new, except refrigerator. Lots of friends stop by to visit and enter our house and we never have had any problem with theft. They know we have nothing of value. We don't want much, just a nice easy life and we have it. I believe the more you have the better chance of having problems. This life we have isn't for everyone but works great for us.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Yeah well guy down the road gets on his motorbike everyday to look after cows( that are not his ), he has to slow down to cross a stream. A couple of weeks afp a couple of guys were hiding in the bushes waiting for him. Clubbed him on the head as he slowed down ( see other reason for wearing helmet ), and killed him with sticks!!!! Took his chain ( necklace), shoes and some say his gun ( which I doubt he owned in the first place ).

So even if u dont own much, be wary....... Its harder to rob the rich who can afford security..... how much do u think they get away with when tigueres hold up colmadoes?? A couple of thousands pesos ( if lucky ) and a couple of bottle of rums. I ll take bars on windows, high walls and dogs anyday.....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I think the best defense are pointy plants under windows and other points of entry and good exterior lights.

In the US, you can get security cameras that tie into your cell phone...

Those cameras are available here. We live on the second floor on a busy street with lots of street dogs and the neighbour has two pit bulls in his yard that is next to our property and as long as the power is on the streetlight lights up the front and side of the house. We have strong iron on the balcony, windows and doors. Even Fort Knox can be broken into.

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
How did they cut the bars? That should make a big enough noise to wake someone up. I really dislike the bars on the windows, and wish I could think of a safety measure that makes the bars unnecessary.

Bars are necessary and I inspect mine often and I have several fire plans and I sleep very well.

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
Pits: they are people dogs hate oter dogs though- Cameras == they use masks. Anyway shoot to kill!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Pits: they are people dogs hate oter dogs though- Cameras == they use masks. Anyway shoot to kill!

Tell that to all the Dominican Tigre's that walk ten feet off the sidewalk when they walk by. Camera's are not just to capture somebodies face but also for you to see movement.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Get a book on how to protect your home and handgun self defense. Some of the defense tactics are counter intuitive. Like, never investigate strange noises in the night. Ever see a horror movie? We have dogs, guns, a plan, and sleep soundly in a secured room. No one has ever messed with us. The neighbors have had "patio thieves" from time to time but we have been left alone. Property is fenced and barred. No faith in camera systems as the police are ineffectual and giving them videos of the crooks is pointless. We are not at all paranoid, just prepared.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Same here but I might be a bit paranoiac all the same....

The key is to have as many things to deter idiot thieves in the first place. I have no idea why people around us don't have bars, cameras or huge walls or many lights but it is better for me that they don't. Unless a criminal wants YOU they will try and look for easier places to break into. We are probably the poorest people in our rich neighbor area too!
I dread the day when I lose my keys and I have to try and break in to my house....

I feel safe on my property 24 hours a day. Our 6 dogs that the locals see fighting sometimes have them scared to death to step foot in our yard without me putting them away first and they still are scared to come in!
Best thing to ever happen was to have our Pit and Rottie fighting till blood in front of 15 workers that live in the area! (The dogs are ok they have since sorted out their pack order...)