stray dogs

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
In my campo, there is a cabaret open air dancing. Quite a fishy place actually, music is horrendous ( bad quality and loud ).
Anyway at closing time they never clean up ( at opening time neither )so there is lots of discarded food on the ground and at night dozens, and I mean a couple of dozens ( would post photo but my internet is like 1/100 of a mega so.... ) of dogs are fighting for rubbish, and then they will roam up and down the road knocking over plastic rubbish drums, and of course bark all night.

These days there are 4 bitches in heat in surrounding houses so it adds to the mayehem. Its acthally quite scary for neigbours as they roam freely in and out of gardens and kids get scared and not much sleep for anyone.
Thankfully they take a big detour in font of my house ( which they cant get in of course ) cos my dogs scare them.

We ( neigbours ) have tried scattering them, ie shotun shots, but they scatter and regroup as soon as u leave.
I ve set free my dogs on them a couple of times which scares them off but I m concerned for safety of my dogs ( not for fights cos mine kick a$$ but for fleas and illness kind ).

What is the diffrence between a stray dog and a dog whos owners leave him free to roam all the time ??
Asking cos we, well they I am not really in favour, are considering poisning them.....

Any ideas??

St. Bernard

Dec 8, 2013
Speak with the owners of the dance, tell them they must clean up after they are finished or you will notify the police of their lack of responsibility. Chances are the owner doesn't know his staff are lagging and he won't want issues with police, or neighbours.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Why not see if you guys can get a van, pick up all the strays on your street etc, then contact that animal place on facebook..just found it..

PADELA

I'm pretty sure they would take them on, give them a call please...if so, i would also consider talking with your neighbors to make some donations to them so they can actually hekp to stop this epidemic and get any and all females spayed..

In my campo, there is a cabaret open air dancing. Quite a fishy place actually, music is horrendous ( bad quality and loud ).
Anyway at closing time they never clean up ( at opening time neither )so there is lots of discarded food on the ground and at night dozens, and I mean a couple of dozens ( would post photo but my internet is like 1/100 of a mega so.... ) of dogs are fighting for rubbish, and then they will roam up and down the road knocking over plastic rubbish drums, and of course bark all night.

These days there are 4 bitches in heat in surrounding houses so it adds to the mayehem. Its acthally quite scary for neigbours as they roam freely in and out of gardens and kids get scared and not much sleep for anyone.
Thankfully they take a big detour in font of my house ( which they cant get in of course ) cos my dogs scare them.

We ( neigbours ) have tried scattering them, ie shotun shots, but they scatter and regroup as soon as u leave.
I ve set free my dogs on them a couple of times which scares them off but I m concerned for safety of my dogs ( not for fights cos mine kick a$$ but for fleas and illness kind ).

What is the diffrence between a stray dog and a dog whos owners leave him free to roam all the time ??
Asking cos we, well they I am not really in favour, are considering poisning them.....

Any ideas??

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
bTW, I just called to see if they can assist me in getting my rescued kitten to Santiago..I'm not fluent in Spanish, so the person I spoke with gave me a number to a Laura at 809-350-7055 should you need some help on that end as well..

malko

Jan 12, 2013
The thing is the owner is part of the problem. Its changed hands, before there was quite a few clients, now hardly any. The police go round regulary, but only for money. Everybody who lives here are what one could describe as poor. The owner actually has got the music starting later and finishing earlier, and less volume on weekdays ( but only when we are here people say ). So I am quite happy.
One of my family members was the person who cleaned up at closing time but got laid off because of buisness being worse.

The bitches are not strays, they belong to people, but take no responsibility whatever. Like no es mi culpa, the dogs come and eat my garbage. Well stop throwing out on ure lawn then. Works for a week than back to normal. The thing is I complained a lot to the 2 or 3 houses around me about garbage and water waste, and everything was setteled. The other houses are futher up the road and I dont want a reputation of ballbreaker.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
@bronxboy. Of course I wont. But I can only speak for myself. I think it might have already started......

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just WHERE do you think you live???????
You have just described,"Life In The DR, As We KNOW IT"!!!!!
"Bernie", your "Newbee" is showing!!!
The owner doesn't give a "Dog $HIT" about the noise, the trash, and especially the dogs!
"Skynet" as to your idea,...."Yeah RIGHT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you can't stomach "Noise", Trash",Dogs, and "PIGS", the "2 Legged KIND", you don't belong in the DR!
Merry CHRISTmas"!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Malko, didn't you say you "lived" in the DR on $1,000 US a month?????
Now I BELIEVE you!!!!

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
I worry when the dogs stop barking. The bar across from my place, i watch the drugged or homeless guys dig through the trash every morning for the little spit left in any bottles or any scraps discarded from people eating vendor food from the street. So i drink my coffee and watch chickens, dogs and men go through the trash. Its great!! I brew Santo Domingo Cafe!! But what i really enjoy is watching the women go in and out of the salon. Then come back later to the bar with their chaka chaka shoes. Arriba!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I worry when the dogs stop barking. The bar across from my place, i watch the drugged or homeless guys dig through the trash every morning for the little spit left in any bottles or any scraps discarded from people eating vendor food from the street. So i drink my coffee and watch chickens, dogs and men go through the trash. Its great!! I brew Santo Domingo Cafe!! But what i really enjoy is watching the women go in and out of the salon. Then come back later to the bar with their chaka chaka shoes. Arriba!!!

You should post this in the "What do you all day" thread.

It might help poor Harry out...
I like the salon idea..... good place to pass a few hours

sort of a 'before and after' show

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
"Dogs"

You gotta be crazy, you gotta have a real need
You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street
You gotta be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed
And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight
You gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone.

If you poison the dogs, more will just come. As someone else said it is the DR, what do you expect?!
Just learn to adapt!

I have really mellowed in 11 months, if I read this post then I would be flipping out about someone killing dogs!

I know if someone poisoned mine and I knew who they were I would invite them for a nice din and put something special in it :)

Good idea in not letting your dogs out after them anymore! I don't let mine associate with street dogs, I know I am classist!!

St. Bernard

Dec 8, 2013
There is no getting away from the issue that street dogs are often a problem and need to be culled occasionally, unfortunately the kindest way in my mind is to shoot them or round them up and gas them. I know this is a very unpopular post, but just remember how many dogs are dying tonight throughout this land, painfully torturous deaths through poisoning, abandonment in plastic bags, tied up and thrown on the side of the road etc etc etc.
It is in the same bag as legal suicide in my mind. If someone is dying or has no worth of future then it is better to allow them that decision, even on mental grounds I agree that suicide should be legalised and assisted if requested.
We must speak and often even think what is best for dogs, we created the modern dog/wolf and should really be a little more responsible and realistic. Those who think one day suffering will all end if we love enough are deluded, people continue to breed and people are always going to be irresponsible and so there always needs to be a better answer.

I am a dog lover, and animal lover but I am a realist and the only way to control such an issue in such an ignorant environment is monthly cull everywhere. Eventually people will understand what it means to be responsible for your pet, and stop allowing them to run free or they die. It is a bad bag for the dogs primarily, but it will lead to a more concerned, educated and responsible people in the long run.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Why don't you work with the locals in your community and start up an outreach program. There are many organizations in this country that will help you with outreach and sterilization. For 1000 pesos you can buy 500 ml of ivermectin which will treat approx 50,000lbs of dog for ticks, fleas and parasites. This will eliminate the threat of these issues for your dogs. Sterilization of the females will stop the males from gathering around the females when they are in heat and thus eliminate that problem as well. There are many organizations that can help with this. Some education with the locals will help keep the dogs healthier and prevent the problem of them running everywhere. This is not the easy solution but it is the solution that will work the best over time and will give you some respect in your community and save you from killing some kids pet. The easy solution is killing them and within 6 months you will have the same issue again. Remember as well that there are new laws in this country which make poisoning and abuse of animals illegal. IF you do not believe this solution will work than spend a day with us and I will show you first hand that this solution does work in the many barrios that we work in. Tom

St. Bernard

Dec 8, 2013
There is no solution while 99.9% of dog owners don't care much about their dogs here! yet alone consider putting the money! energy or time into taking them to vets. I know organisations help those that they help but the impact on the problem is a drop in the ocean. All poor countries are the same, it's not just here, none working animals (and often even working animals) have no value, emotionally nor monetary and so are treat as such.
Like I said I am an animal lover, but also a realist and if you think animal abuse laws will be enforced here then I think you need to think again, and I expect you know that.
It's a horrible thing, but sometimes the only solution is to start over, and although it will not happen all the good work in the world with all the best intentions in the world from organisations such as yourself does not make sufficient impact to resolve the issue.

But I did expect that post to be rather unpopular, people don't like hearing these things, even when true.

But I do respect and appreciate the work people put into helping, but we are not addressing that, we were addressing a solution to strays.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Like EVERY SINGLE problem in the country, the problem is the Government stealing the money that should be going for programs.