El Presidente in Ee Uu? + digressions of a rookie

M

mike

OK, I know it's kind of a dopey question and I'm sure it's been asked many times before, but is there a place to buy El Presidente in quantities that is relatively freshly brewed. I mean I don't want a dusty case that's a year old. I carried back all that I could. And considering the walk from customs in San Juan to my connecting flight, I'm glad I didn't try to haul back too much more.

Not only is it delicious, but it brings back the best memories. I'm the veteran of exactly one four-day trip to Santiago/Puerto Plata but already I'm planning on going back and working on my spanish harder than ever. I found Dominican spanish to be a real challenge. I suppose I could be understood (or everybody was just humoring me) but there were people I that I just really struggled to understand, even if they talked slowly and as clearly as I suppose they are able to.

Anybody know of a cassette course that's specifically geared to dominican spanish? I'd pay someone to record onto a videotape any program produced within the DR and broadcast over TV. Following along with Univision or Telemundo is one thing, but I need something from in-country. Email me please if you're interested. popeye_mb@hotmail.com

R

Ross Rucker

DR programming in US

If you have DirectTV,Canal SUR has Sabado de Corporan and some other DR shows. Rent the movie "Nueba Yol" - DON'T LOOK AT THE SUBTITLES!!!! They don't say what they are really saying.
Don't fret, I know people who have lived in the US for 40 years and don't speak English.

M

Marc

Dominican spanish

Just buy a "learn to speak spanish" CD, press play, then wrap a blanket around the CD Player. Notice how there are no more distinct sounds or clearly pronounced words? You are on your way to learning Dominican Spanish!

hehe. Had to get that shot in there. I too have difficulty hearing some Dominicans. More education seems to provide better spoken spanish I think. They do like to drop off the last letters of words an aweful lot(it has been said that they don't say their S's because they are saving them up to hiss at people :)). I think you will find that as you get closer to the south the spanish gets better.

Tgf recently posted these sites with some Dominican Slang words, not a whole lot to learn from, but you may find it useful nonetheless. I have copied it for you below. Don't be too hard on yourself, 4 days is not really a long time to learn a language! Immersion is the best ticket, get some basics, then make some dominican friends next time you come down.

marc

I thought I would post these links to help some readers improve their cultural knowledge concerning the Dominican Republic. One is in English and the other in Spanish. Both are useful pages, but neither is inclusive concerning the richness of the Dominican language. As a matter of fact, while I was typing this message I'm sure two new modismos were created. Enjoy!

http://www.aguaita.com/aguaita/repdom.nsf/pag/dominicanismos+I
http://cwr.utoronto.ca/cultural/english/dominican/commun.html

M

mike

Re: Dominican spanish

Perfecto!!! Wrap a blanket around the CD player! That's exactly how I would describe it. LOL!! I thought it was just me.

I have a tutor who's from Cuba but I spend 90% of my time conversing with the mexicans who clean the building where I work, so over three year's time what I've done is teach myself mexican spanish and probably even some spanglish too. I have almost no trouble conversing with the, in fact, we've become pretty good friends. I thought I was really ready. Seguro. . .

Yes, immersion is the best method, I agree. TV in spanish, music, movies, everything. I got Dish network just for the dish latino package but they ripped me off (too long of a story) and I quit Dish. Maybe DirecTV will have me, although you all should know that one was just sold to the other, I just can't remember who to whom.

Thanks for the links!

M

marykohn

that's funny!

Do you know how long it took me to realize there is an "s" in pe"s"queso (I hope I spelled it right).
If I'm not mistaken, "ado" is usually pronounced "ao" as in:
"yo habia trabajao". But "bacalao" is correct.
"ar" is often "al" as in "cuanto pa' 'l cualto?" Of course those ' mean something's missing like pa"ra" "e"l.
And who can forget the mysterious "ar" changed to "ai" as in "aguaita mami"
In all fairness, we take similar liberties in English.
"jeet yet?" is better understood as "Did you eat yet?"
Is it "nucular" or "nuclear"? My favorite is listening to the commentators at a Nascar race.
You get the idea.
One thing you can count on though.
I don't think any body any where mis-pronounces or muffles the sounds when swearing - in any language. :)
belda'? (verdad?)
I forgot about the hissing. Boy, it doesn't take long.

D

Dee DeMusis

Re: Dominican spanish

Just thought you guys would like to know: at the web site
"www.aguaita.com" there's pages and pages of "Dominicanismos" -- this is not for "baies" in the language, but is an "a to Z" list of important Dominican idiomatic/idiosyncratic expressions. I wish I could find a GOOD Dominican-specific dictionary. If one exists, will somebody e-mail and tell me where or how I can get it. I live in New York and haven't seen one at Lectorum or Caliope.

I agree-- trying to get "clear" Spanish from Dominicans is, well....I am engaged to a "Dominican-York" [he's a Capitaleno--born in Santo Domingo but came here as a yung teen]. The GOOD thing is that his Spanish is crisp and clear.
Anyway,hope this helps.

H

hillbilly

Confusing notes on Dominican Spanish

1)In the South (Santo Domingo, San Cristobal, San Pedro) with the strong influence of black populations over the years, the "r" becomes "l" as in 'pol favol'
In the North, less influenced, the r becomes the "i": as in 'poi que?"

However, the final "s" is dropped all over. the "d" in the past participle is, as Mary pointed out, "eaten", again generally speaking.
Now, when an uneducated Dominican is speaking to an educated person, quite often we experience the phenomenon called "Over compensation: "Do?a, no *ar* *plastanoss*" Or "No *ar acerte*"
And *sis* for 'yes'( NOT "sister"!!) and *Nos* for 'no'.

Fun, huh?

hb

M

marykohn

Re: Confusing notes on Dominican Spanish

As a kid, I remember a group of us using one of those concepts as a language game.
Like 'pig latin' in English.
"Das me plastanos fristos"
If anybody watches a telenovela on Univision called "Carita de Angel" Dulce Maria always 'por fis' for 'por favor'. There are many more.
regards
MK