Should I bring a surge protector

HarryLB13

Feb 21, 2012
If living in Sosua or the Cabarete area? Do you guys recommend bringing a surge
protector for my laptop? Or, would I be able to purchase a good quality protector
there in one of the electronic stories?
Harry

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have not used one in over 10 years of living in Cabarete without a problem using laptops.
The power supplies for laptops seem to take care of any surges.

bobe531

Mar 26, 2010
Definitely use a surge protector. The battery in the adapter acts sort of like a surge protector but it does cause the battery in the adapter to age prematurely. You can buy one here but it is a bit pricey and not sure of the quality. If you have room in your bags bring one.
BobE

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Surge protectors are easy enough to find here. You should definitely use one for any expensive electronics. But even better are the surge protectors with the voltage regulators (some have them and some don't). The ones with the voltage regulators are a little harder to find around here. I can always find them in Santiago or Santo Domingo but it is sometimes tough around Sosua / Cabarete. They do a nice job and don't cost much more than the surge protectors that don't have them.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
protector for my laptop? Or, would I be able to purchase a good quality protector
Harry

I am using surge protectors bought here. At one time I used surge protectors bought from the US. I am well satisfied with the ones I've bought here and see no difference in terms of life expectancy.

Whether I really needed one, who can say? But my thought is why take the chance. Just because somebody had good luck without one is no guarantee that you or I will be equally lucky.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
:p
Harry

I don't have one for my laptops but you can't go wrong having one......... that is if there is power:p:p:p

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
Good quality and the Dominican Republic is an oxymoron, I think, the two do not go together. If you want a good quality. one bring it with you.

FB

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
in the Dominican Republic...

Keep a separate backup for your computer.
Purchase computer insurance -- seguro electronico todo riesgo.
That insurance is low cost and if anything happens to your computer -- including theft, you drop it, or a voltage kills it -- then you can use it to help you buy a new one. You need to insure the computer for "valor de reposition", that is for what a new computer that is similar to yours would cost.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I'm interested, which insurance covers that? Do you have a recommendation? Thanks :)

in the Dominican Republic...

Keep a separate backup for your computer.
Purchase computer insurance -- seguro electronico todo riesgo.
That insurance is low cost and if anything happens to your computer -- including theft, you drop it, or a voltage kills it -- then you can use it to help you buy a new one. You need to insure the computer for "valor de reposition", that is for what a new computer that is similar to yours would cost.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I use a voltage regulator instead of a surge protector. Brownouts are also very dangerous to laptops, and the regulator prevents brownout damage as well as surge damage. Voltage regulators are found at La Sirena, etc.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I used to use a surge protector on my laptop years ago, but you don't really need it, the original/genuine power adaptor has a protection system built-in, the worse can happen is the adaptor fry, but that would need something like a lightning strike, rare !? The adaptor should withstand the brown-outs, power on and off and the usual generators/inverters kick in/out.

Your laptop's battery also keeps up the voltage when adaptor stops supplying enough (never take the battery out in this country where there are frequent power failures - speaking of that second Tuesday here in Sosua and power stayed on, no power cuts as far as I know for over 10 days now... !!!? Happy Xmas !).

Dandman

May 17, 2004
Your problem will probably not be an electrical surge but electrical blackouts. They occur almost daily. Keep your battery charged.

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
surge protectors will only work if they are grounded. check that your home is grounded first before wasting your money on one!

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
I brought a UPS from the US a few years ago; it didn't work when on Inverter power.
The units I have purchased here do function on 'manufactured' 120V.