Shipping a car to DR from NJ

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Today we drove our car up to northern New Jersey to ship to DR. Company we used is Cartainer Ocean Line, Inc. in Linden, NJ. 1-800-227-8096 or 908-862-2262, ShippingMyCar.com | International Auto Transport, Car Transport, and Container Shipping. They also ship out of Florida and have an office in Delaware.

Choices we had were Roll On-Roll Off to San Souci [$700], or wait for a consolidated container to Haina [$930]. When we got there, they told us that they have nothing else for a container shipment right now, and the car would just sit there until they did if we chose that option. If we wanted our own container, it was $2,000+.

So we chose RO-RO to Santo Domingo for $700, plus marine insurance [based on value of the car, for $20,000 coverage it was $330.00, with a $500 deductible]. Shipping is out of Bayonne, NJ on 12/31, and will arrive in one week after leaving port, ship is due in Jan 5th. Service was friendly, fast and efficient. I hope the rest or the process is as smooth.

This afternoon I will scan and e-mail all our documents to the woman in Santo Domingo who will do all the paperwork to get the car out of customs, once she has them she will begin working on the required documents.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
Today we drove our car up to northern New Jersey to ship to DR. Company we used is Cartainer Ocean Line, Inc. in Linden, NJ. 1-800-227-8096 or 908-862-2262, ShippingMyCar.com | International Auto Transport, Car Transport, and Container Shipping. They also ship out of Florida and have an office in Delaware.

Choices we had were Roll On-Roll Off to San Souci [$700], or wait for a consolidated container to Haina [$930]. When we got there, they told us that they have nothing else for a container shipment right now, and the car would just sit there until they did if we chose that option. If we wanted our own container, it was $2,000+.

So we chose RO-RO to Santo Domingo for $700, plus marine insurance [based on value of the car, for $20,000 coverage it was $330.00, with a $500 deductible]. Shipping is out of Bayonne, NJ on 12/31, and will arrive in one week after leaving port, ship is due in Jan 5th. Service was friendly, fast and efficient. I hope the rest or the process is as smooth.

This afternoon I will scan and e-mail all our documents to the woman in Santo Domingo who will do all the paperwork to get the car out of customs, once she has them she will begin working on the required documents.

What year and make of car?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Vehicle importation rules/law

I've never done it but I think I remember you can't bring in a vehicle older than 5 years unless you have some sort of special exemption. Is that still the case?

2009 Toyota Venza 4cyl. AWD

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've never done it but I think I remember you can't bring in a vehicle older than 5 years unless you have some sort of special exemption. Is that still the case?

To be honest, I'm not sure. A year or so back there was an announcement that it was changed to 10 years old or less, but I've never seen any documentation of that. As far as I know, it's 5 years, and you have until June of the year following the 5th - meaning that I'd have until June of 2015 to bring in a 2009.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
To be honest, I'm not sure. A year or so back there was an announcement that it was changed to 10 years old or less, but I've never seen any documentation of that. As far as I know, it's 5 years, and you have until June of the year following the 5th - meaning that I'd have until June of 2015 to bring in a 2009.

That's my understanding.

Jan 9, 2004

AE:

The change was never implemented....too much pressure from the new car dealers.

Exact date that a car must be in port to meet the 5 year rule is June 30 of the year following the 5th year. Example would be a 2008.......it must be in port by June 30th, 2014.

Good Luck with Aduana.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The ship arrived today, met with the person handling everything for us. She asked us for detailed information about anything in the car, and the condition of the tires - because they often get switched. We just put 4 brand new Michelin Latitudes on a week before it was shipped, they'd better still be on the car.

First glitch.

Our US passports were in a flooded safe [Hurricane Sandy] so they were replaced a year ago with new ones, and because they were damaged they were not returned to us. We found out today that if you're a Dominican claiming partial exemption you have to prove that you have not been in the DR for 6 months total in the past 2 years. [Would have been nice if we knew this before, not that we could have done anything]. So, since we have proof of 2013's trips, we don't have anything for 2011-12. This means going to immigration in Centro de los Heroes in Santo Domingo, and they will document his time here. We went there today, only to be told that we need a written request from Aduana before they will print out the information. Grrrrrrrr.

We were also told that Aduana will probably request we pay 40% of the value of the car, "but sometimes they make adjustments and you pay less than that".

To be continued.......

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The ship arrived today, met with the person handling everything for us. She asked us for detailed information about anything in the car, and the condition of the tires - because they often get switched. We just put 4 brand new Michelin Latitudes on a week before it was shipped, they'd better still be on the car.

First glitch.

Our US passports were in a flooded safe [Hurricane Sandy] so they were replaced a year ago with new ones, and because they were damaged they were not returned to us. We found out today that if you're a Dominican claiming partial exemption you have to prove that you have not been in the DR for 6 months total in the past 2 years. [Would have been nice if we knew this before, not that we could have done anything]. So, since we have proof of 2013's trips, we don't have anything for 2011-12. This means going to immigration in Centro de los Heroes in Santo Domingo, and they will document his time here. We went there today, only to be told that we need a written request from Aduana before they will print out the information. Grrrrrrrr.

We were also told that Aduana will probably request we pay 40% of the value of the car, "but sometimes they make adjustments and you pay less than that".

To be continued.......

Glitches? No surprise there. I did mention that I know someone who promises to deliver a car from the US to your door for 40% of the cost of the car in the US. So if they charge you 40% just at customs, that does not sound like a great deal especially since you are a "returning Dominican" and it should be much less than that. Good luck. Every time you do this it will have a different result.

Jan 9, 2004

First glitch.

To be continued.......

Taxes should be at/near $6,400-$6,900 USD using the law for a returning Dominican.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Last week we got a call that because my name is on the title, they needed a copy of my entire passport too. Another trip to SD to deliver the copies.

Today was first meeting with Aduana Exoneration on Lincoln near Kennedy. Mostly telling us the laws [i.e. we can't sell the car for 3 years....]. Then handed me back all my passport copies, they never needed them. Arghhhh. Then Mr. AE had to drive all the way to Centro de los Heroes to Immigration for a listing of how many months he'd been in DR during the last two years [cannot exceed 6 months]. Cost of 2600 pesos for the certification. Back to Aduana. We now have a number to call on Wednesday, to see if paperwork is done, and find out the cost for the car, will need a bank check. Plus another bank check for the storage of the car at dock.

We've made arrangement for some minimum insurance coverage so we'll be able to present that to the guys at the dock to get the car out. Then the insurance company needs to see the car in person for full coverage. Then we have to get plates, marbete, revista, etc.

The woman handling all of this told me today that when I get my DR citizenship I'm also entitled to a car. Yeah, right. No way Jose.

Jan 9, 2004
Last week we got a call that because my name is on the title, they needed a copy of my entire passport too. Another trip to SD to deliver the copies.

Today was first meeting with Aduana Exoneration on Lincoln near Kennedy. Mostly telling us the laws [i.e. we can't sell the car for 3 years....]. Then handed me back all my passport copies, they never needed them. Arghhhh. Then Mr. AE had to drive all the way to Centro de los Heroes to Immigration for a listing of how many months he'd been in DR during the last two years [cannot exceed 6 months]. Cost of 2600 pesos for the certification. Back to Aduana. We now have a number to call on Wednesday, to see if paperwork is done, and find out the cost for the car, will need a bank check. Plus another bank check for the storage of the car at dock.

We've made arrangement for some minimum insurance coverage so we'll be able to present that to the guys at the dock to get the car out. Then the insurance company needs to see the car in person for full coverage. Then we have to get plates, marbete, revista, etc.

The woman handling all of this told me today that when I get my DR citizenship I'm also entitled to a car. Yeah, right. No way Jose.

AE:

Having fun yet?

I guess the good news is they are informing you of the exoneration rules.

The bad news (and I hope they overlook it) is that you are on the title. Since I do not believe you are a returning Dominican, this could nullify your husbands use of the law.

This may be in that grey area where some good contacts would be helpful.

Good Luck today getting those final figures.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE:

Having fun yet?

I guess the good news is they are informing you of the exoneration rules.

The bad news (and I hope they overlook it) is that you are on the title. Since I do not believe you are a returning Dominican, this could nullify your husbands use of the law.

This may be in that grey area where some good contacts would be helpful.

Good Luck today getting those final figures.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Agent called today, they are backed up because of yesterday's holiday, [surprise!!!!] and we should get the call tomorrow.

Operative word there is "should".

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Can someone direct me to the comprehensive DR1 discussion about importing a car to the DR from the U.S.? I am sure there is already a full discussion somewhere. I want to find the right place instead of testing my luck with a search. The 40 percent tax or whatever it is would seem to push one in the direction of just buying here since that seems to be about the difference in the price here and in the U.S. (for a used jeepeta). Thanks.

Jan 9, 2004
Can someone direct me to the comprehensive DR1 discussion about importing a car to the DR from the U.S.? I am sure there is already a full discussion somewhere. I want to find the right place instead of testing my luck with a search. The 40 percent tax or whatever it is would seem to push one in the direction of just buying here since that seems to be about the difference in the price here and in the U.S. (for a used jeepeta). Thanks.

Just as a rule of thumb, take the retail price of a vehicle and add 50%. That will give you your approximate costs to send a vehicle and get it through Aduana.

If you are a returning Dominican or coming in with a one time residency exoneration, the taxes will be somewhat lower.

Buy here? While its a possibility and many have done it.....the pitfalls can be daunting. If looking at new, I agree, buy it here.

If buying used, I prefer to send the vehicle that I know....and deal with the multitude of hassles with Aduana..than play car roulette in the DR. And I say that having a deep pool of knowledge and connections to cars, car buying, the automotive industry, as well as the associated scams designed to separate people from their money.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Just as a rule of thumb, take the retail price of a vehicle and add 50%. That will give you your approximate costs to send a vehicle and get it through Aduana.

If you are a returning Dominican or coming in with a one time residency exoneration, the taxes will be somewhat lower.

Buy here? While its a possibility and many have done it.....the pitfalls can be daunting. If looking at new, I agree, buy it here.

If buying used, I prefer to send the vehicle that I know....and deal with the multitude of hassles with Aduana..than play car roulette in the DR. And I say that having a deep pool of knowledge and connections to cars, car buying, the automotive industry, as well as the associated scams designed to separate people from their money.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Buying new here one would also add about 50% to the retail price of the car roughly compared to US MSRP?