Creole seasoning

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I am deep frying a turkey this Christmas, and the (American) marinade recipe calls for 'creole' seasoning, among others. Do I find this in the supermarkets here in the DR under 'creole' or is it called something else here? The American 'creole' may be totally different than the local 'creole' thats why I am asking.

May 29, 2006
They prob mean Old Bay Seasoning. It would be great if that was available in the DR, but I'm not optimistic.

I've never heard of a spice mix simply called "Creole" seasoning.

I usually rub the bird with oil and then season it with either poultry seasoning(mostly sage) or powdered Ranch Dressing mix using a pizza shaker Either that or simply some MOJO Criollo, which is in the DR.. That's Oregano/Garlic in a bitter citrus base.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
La Sirena have it, it's just called Creole seasoning and you'll find it close to all the spices.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In the USA, "Creole" means southern Louisiana "Cajun" seasoning.
Dominican "Sazon" will be just fine!
I always wanted to "Deep Fry" a turkey!
Be sure it is completely thawed out, and wiped dry on the outside, before you SLOWLY lower it into the fat.
In the USA, there are more "House Fires" on Thanksgiving than any other days.
Keep away from anything that can burn, and outside, of course!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Pictures Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mainegal

May 22, 2012
Pretty big difference between Creole seasoning and Old Bay.
Like Chris said, just use the Sazon and it will be fanfekkingtastic!

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Creole is Cajun and is spicy. I have seen it at Nacional. You can also buy a liquid for direct injection, but probably not here. Annd, I believe you should only use peanut oil for frying a turkey.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
In the USA, "Creole" means southern Louisiana "Cajun" seasoning.
Dominican "Sazon" will be just fine!
I always wanted to "Deep Fry" a turkey!
Be sure it is completely thawed out, and wiped dry on the outside, before you SLOWLY lower it into the fat.
In the USA, there are more "House Fires" on Thanksgiving than any other days.
Keep away from anything that can burn, and outside, of course!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Pictures Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got an indoor fryer thats much safer than some of these outdoor do-it-yourself contraptions. Just gotta make sure there its completely thawed out and will use on patio so that the smells dont kill everyone in the house.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Pretty big difference between Creole seasoning and Old Bay.

Old Bay is usually used to prepare seafoods especially crabs!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

BTW, Crabs are like gold during New Years. You cant find and, if you do, they go for over $25.00 a dozen

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Conchman", Oh, you have one of "THOSE"?????????
Lucky Guy!
The "Smell" will more likely attract the crowd!!!!
I hope there is a south wind, so I can enjoy the smell here in SD!
What time is dinner????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 29, 2006
Good to have a long hose between the tank and the fryer. That way you can turn the gas off if "something bad" happens. Best to turn the gas off briefly when you drop the turkey in because that's when problems happen.

Old Bay is usually used to prepare seafoods especially crabs!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think of it as a multi tasker. They do have chicken on the box as one of the uses. I use an empty one pound can to keep my smaller kitchen toys organized in my chef kit.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Good to have a long hose between the tank and the fryer. That way you can turn the gas off if "something bad" happens. Best to turn the gas off briefly when you drop the turkey in because that's when problems happen.

I think of it as a multi tasker. They do have chicken on the box as one of the uses. I use an empty one pound can to keep my smaller kitchen toys organized in my chef kit.

Mine is electric, not gas. They are pretty safe.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I believe that "CM" has an electric model????????
Now for an "Old Bay" comment.
I love that "$HIT"!!!!!!!!
A friend made an annual chicken cook, using "Old Bay".
In a HUGE pot, he put alternating layers of chicken thighs, and "Old Bay Seasoning", with a rack in the bottom of the pot.
He added a few quarts of dark beer, cooked for about two hours over low heat, and "WOW"!
I put a can of "Old Bay" in a box I shipped from Boston.
"SOMEHOW" the can got opened, and the entire box, mostly clothes, arrived "Pre Seasoned"!!!
I actually hated to wash the clothes, they smelled so good!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"Put Away the Shrimp Big Mama, Sister's Bringing Home The CRABS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 29, 2006
It's nice for chicken as long as you don't overdo it. I went to add some to 20 gallon batch of soup a few months back and the other cook was like "What are doing!?? That's for seafood!"

Butter, Jumbo Shrimp, Old Bay, cooked Rice Dredge the shrimp in Old Bay, cook in butter and place on top of some rice with the rest of melted butter on top of the rice. Nice appetizer..