Loud Speaker Cabinet Builders in POP to Cabarete area?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am looking for someone in the POP to Cabarete area to build a couple of custom speaker cabinets out of 3/4 inch plywood, screwed and glued using the dimensions I provide. Anyone now of people capable of doing that?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am looking for someone in the POP to Cabarete area to build a couple of custom speaker cabinets out of 3/4 inch plywood, screwed and glued using the dimensions I provide. Anyone now of people capable of doing that?

what are to building? home stereo, or PA stuff?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I used Bass Box 6 Pro and confirmed what PartsExpress told me the design would be for the 18 inch subwoofer I selected. A ported box about 24 X 24 X 16 inches will provide the maximum SPL in the lower bass/kick drum area. I think 3/4" plywood will be OK because of the smaller box size, but some bracing could be added if needed.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I used Bass Box 6 Pro and confirmed what PartsExpress told me the design would be for the 18 inch subwoofer I selected. A ported box about 24 X 24 X 16 inches will provide the maximum SPL in the lower bass/kick drum area. I think 3/4" plywood will be OK because of the smaller box size, but some bracing could be added if needed.

sounds good. would 1 inch particle board be much more expensive than 3/4?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
sounds good. would 1 inch particle board be much more expensive than 3/4?

I have no idea of the price and if it is available, but particle board tends to have issues in the humidity here along with being heavy. Might not be a big issue with the weight because of the smaller box size in my case.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have no idea of the price and if it is available, but particle board tends to have issues in the humidity here along with being heavy. Might not be a big issue with the weight because of the smaller box size in my case.

what material are you planning to use?

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I would recommend MDF, or HDF as particle board resonates a little too much for that size of driver....my opinion anyway
Oh that is if you can find it here.....had to add that

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I would recommend MDF, or HDF as particle board resonates a little too much for that size of driver....my opinion anyway
Oh that is if you can find it here.....had to add that

i would go with 1 inch MDF . i have never seen HDF here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions on MDF. Everyone uses it so there must be a reason.

i would not use it in applications where the speaker produces midrange, but for bass it is perfectly appropriate. for a full range speaker, plywood (preferably baltic birch) is the way to go.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i would not use it in applications where the speaker produces midrange, but for bass it is perfectly appropriate. for a full range speaker, plywood (preferably baltic birch) is the way to go.

Baltic birch in the DR. Now that would be fun to find.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
the best plywood i have seen is at Madeco, just outside of Santiago. Brazilian stuff.

I have shopped at Madeco before and would say they have the best wood selection around. My original thoughts for using plywood were for lighter weight and perhaps less prone to moisture damage ( of course they probably don't know what "Marine Playwoo" is here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have shopped at Madeco before and would say they have the best wood selection around. My original thoughts for using plywood were for lighter weight and perhaps less prone to moisture damage ( of course they probably don't know what "Marine Playwoo" is here.

i would think not. Madeco had 1 inch MDF when i went there last, and a big selection of different grade plywood.