Outback Open in Palma Real

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
That said I ate there last night. Steak not the same as US. The filet looked flat as a pancake compared to the Victoria Filet sold in the US. I had the Prime Rib, tasteless.

The two good things were the Clam Chowder soup and the Cinnamon Oblivion is great. Oh and they were out of their signature Bloomin Onion.

Price is also higher than in the States. One more thing, I know it just opened but the wait staff has no clue.

Dine at your own risk.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Soo its the same as Hard Rock, they serve same food but charge 30-40% higher compare to the hard rock in SD? Just because its in PC with the rich tourists?!

Would boycott those fu**ers

May 29, 2006
Got to love the tourists who visit US franchises. Hey, why can't we find a Starbucks around here?? Why no Panera?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Unless a chain is importing the meat from the US it will not be worth going there. The cuts of meat in the DR are mostly not worth the time and money and the staff training is probably very lacking. Proper restaurant service is difficult to find. Many restaurant's wait staff give you a menu and think that is service. No Bloomin Onion. Very typical. They have no clue. They need to get their act together or they won't be around for very long.

LTSTeve

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
people here just go to those places to be seen. they probably hate the food, but they look good trying to eat it.

May 29, 2006
To me both Panera and Starbucks are not worth visiting anywhere.

Exactly. We have a local coffee/bagel shop a block down the street from Starbucks and they do at least four times the business. Starbucks is where you go for free Wi-fi.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
The fact that it opened in the Palma Real already screams "priced too high" Why did Tony Romas close?
I will probably never pay them a visit.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For my money Tony Roma's lays over the Outback. Their signature ribs and especially the sauce cannot be beat. They closed because there was no business. Empty all the time.

May 29, 2006
And yet, they think replacing one franchise with another is going to make a difference.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
- Albert Einstein

May 29, 2006
Yeah, it's the same problem here. Rents are so high that the only folks with deep enough pockets to get into a lease are the franchises or people from NYC who think $8000/month for a storefront worth $4000 is a good deal(Starbucks). We have a lot of turn-over for start ups and a lot of empty store fronts. It goes back to the real estate boom because people are overvaluing their properties and then basing their rents on a formula using a fraction of the building value. In the US, a common rule of thumb is rent per year is 1/6th the property value, but that value is subjective.

Some place just opened in our college town serving $7 Asian meat and rice dishes in a prime location. Their rent is $6000/month, so $200/day for rent after the cost of food, utilities and labor. If they aren't doing $1000/day in sales(they aren't), forget about it. The bets are they won't make it to Spring Break. A landlord will sit on an empty storefront for years waiting for someone to pay their price, because someone else did.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have been to the Out Back here in Santo Domingo. For me it was a disappointment, I did not like the steak at all. I had the ribeye (?) and it was gristle and fatty. My son had the ribs and thought they were so so. It was crowded in there but I think it is more due to people wanting to eat a "American" type place as opposed to a good meal. They may do well at the Palma Real just based on the name alone.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i had to google the bloomin' onion thing. i like onions. i have only visited few american franchises and it's always been a disappointment. maybe i have high expectations.

May 29, 2006
I once got hired as a kitchen manager in part because I knew how to make onion rings. I was sitting at a bar and the owner came out of his kitchen with some onion rings he had made for the bartender to try. They were pathetic. I offered to show him how to make them with the "four step method." After I showed him, he was so impressed, he hired me on the spot. He said if I could train him, I could train anybody. He had known me from other management work as well, but that was the kicker.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Wow, what a small world. I was just there yesterday. I was at the cafe next to Outback Steakhouse (see picture). I also got to finally visit Danny's bar in Bavaro, and Steve's bar in Friusa--and they had a a cool rock n roll band playing Friday night.

DSC04663_zps2eabdea2.jpg

DSC04673_zpsfee44c88.jpg

Frank

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
I ate at Tony Romas once and it was two trips in one, first and last. Over priced compared to the food and the service I was used to at Nam Nam in Cortecito. I eat my meals at localy owned places in Canada and I try the same thing when in Punta Cana for the cold season. That being said I will go to Pizza Hut for pizza because my wife is addicted to it. As well we love the El Burrito in Palma Real which is good Mexican food and priced better than here in Canada. We pay a lot more for food in Canada right now in Canada a medium pepperoni lovers pizza is 21 dollars that exchanges out to 25 dollars American......Turkeys are on sale fresh at $2.98 a pound that is $3.40 American a pound.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Adding important word "not"

If you want pizza ...... PLEASE do not ever go to Pizza Hut (your wife is addicted to what? Pizza Hut ?) please if you love pizza
Go to and check out Venezia ... Maybe the best anywhere..not just in DR which knows nothing about food in general. Close to
Palma Real. This is pizza ... Outstanding and excellent.

Last edited: