Mexican or Tex-Mex Restaurant

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Other than the Mexican restaurant in Cofresi, does anyone know of another restaurant serving Mexican or Tex-Mex style food in the Puerto Plata to Cabarete area? I love the food at the one in Cofresi but find it to be a little expensive....

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Yea the food is ok, the people and service aare very good but I agree very priecy. We love Gordito's in Cabarete. The price is good as is the food, and there is a lot of it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree that the price in Cofresi is high for Mexican food. Try Gordito's in the Ocean Dream Plaza as mentioned, you will like it.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Other than the Mexican restaurant in Cofresi, does anyone know of another restaurant serving Mexican or Tex-Mex style food in the Puerto Plata to Cabarete area? I love the food at the one in Cofresi but find it to be a little expensive....

You can buy tortillas in Playero won't take long to prepare some good Mexican food at home.
Salsas are best homemade and fresh y guacamole.
If you feel really lazy buy a roasted chicken and some mole sauce in a jar .....y listo!
Fish tacos lime juice cilantro chiles onion don't take much effort.
Or marinate a ceviche,drink some home made margaritas while marinating and you'll be sauced in no time.:lick:

I would say Gorditos as well but I just found a new place that has a great unlimited taco/fajita spread on Tuesdays at the Cabarete East complex. (Taco Tuesday)
Don't know what the name of the actually restaurant is but you can't miss it inside.
I also don't know what the times are, we went around 9pm. It was soo good!!!
I will get more info on it next time I go!!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
They've been doing that for years, used to be on the Encuentro beach road before they moved. There is also Blue Agave on the Callejon de la Loma ---- tried that once, and once was enough. Gordito's sit-down restaurant next door, Gordito's Canteen or Cafe or whatever was extremely good mexican fusion style, over the top, imo. Sadly just closed. But the chef is moving on down the road and will open his own, and when he does, man o man, it's so good. Hope he makes a go of it, new location ain't so good. Still in the planning.

Aug 21, 2007
They've been doing that for years, used to be on the Encuentro beach road before they moved. There is also Blue Agave on the Callejon de la Loma ---- tried that once, and once was enough. Gordito's sit-down restaurant next door, Gordito's Canteen or Cafe or whatever was extremely good mexican fusion style, over the top, imo. Sadly just closed. But the chef is moving on down the road and will open his own, and when he does, man o man, it's so good. Hope he makes a go of it, new location ain't so good. Still in the planning.

Did I understand you correctly tflea? Gordito's is now closed? For good? When did that happen?

Lindsey

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Gorditos is NOT closed, but Gorditos cafe/canteen next door is, the sit down and order place. Sorry Lindsay for confusing info.
Who is relocating and opening his own business is Chad, the chef from the Cafe, not the taco place. Don't know when, it's still in the planning and financing stage. Not open 'til it's open, as it goes here.

Aug 6, 2006
Mexican food is hardly difficult or expensive to prepare, but I have yet to find a place serving even adequate Mexican food in the DR. Of course, I have not been looking very hard.

In Ecuador, there are some semi-passable places, but the main problem is the total unavailability of cheddar or any other yellow cheese. Mexican food made with queso criollo (sort of gooshier feta) cheese simply does not make it.

Ecuadorian traditional recipes are great, by the way: my favorite is Llapingachos. It is hard to find a place that specializes in traditional Ecuadorean food, though. A favorite tends to be greasy stewed chicken in semi-burned tomato sauce, lamentably.

I lived in Mexico for three years, and still, I think that the Taco Bell is better than many a local place in Mexico City. The absolute BEST Mexican food I have ever eaten was in Ranchos de Taos, NM, by the way. Taco Bell is not great, but it is 100% predictable.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No Gorditos is not closed. I guess tflea was talking about the restaurant next to Gorditos that is closed. Too bad about that I was hoping to go there and that it would be a success!

The Caribbean Restaurant is the one that closed and the chef is going to try to open up in another location.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Mexican food is hardly difficult or expensive to prepare, but I have yet to find a place serving even adequate Mexican food in the DR. Of course, I have not been looking very hard.

In Ecuador, there are some semi-passable places, but the main problem is the total unavailability of cheddar or any other yellow cheese. Mexican food made with queso criollo (sort of gooshier feta) cheese simply does not make it.

Ecuadorian traditional recipes are great, by the way: my favorite is Llapingachos. It is hard to find a place that specializes in traditional Ecuadorean food, though. A favorite tends to be greasy stewed chicken in semi-burned tomato sauce, lamentably.

I lived in Mexico for three years, and still, I think that the Taco Bell is better than many a local place in Mexico City. The absolute BEST Mexican food I have ever eaten was in Ranchos de Taos, NM, by the way. Taco Bell is not great, but it is 100% predictable.

When North Americans think of Mexican food it is normally Tex Mex we are used to eating. Some Mexican food is easy to prepare, but getting the correct ingredients here on the island that spice forgot is the biggest challenge.