gringo gardener

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone, and merry Xmas

A friend of mine who is a landscaper-gardener (belgian) and he is thinking about moving to the North Coast. What do you think he could charge hourly in DR?
:)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Tell him to forget about THAT idea!
Try Saudi Arabia, I heard they need "SAND"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Is that question a "JOKE"?????
His wife can get a job as a "Trabajadora"!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
depends on the job- grass cutting/tree chopping/patio building would be more . He could try contract gardening where he charges for the job instead of hanging around all day making it last

Landscape gardening wouldnt normally be an hourly rate

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011

No, its not a joke. I'm just relaying my friends question...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Some guys make good money doing this on the south and east coasts, I know two of them.

Like most things, it's who you know that makes the difference.
Forget the north coast, he will never make a living doing this.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

And Eskimos need ICE. Global warming, you know.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
why not on the NC?

Way to many people on the NC who will do this job for VERY LITTLE MONEY. And not enough RICH people to overpay like on on the South and East coasts. That is why. VERY SIMPLE. Do not come to the North Coast if you need to work for a living (unless your work is in the Internet).

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Way to many people on the NC who will do this job for VERY LITTLE MONEY. And not enough RICH people to overpay like on on the South and East coasts. That is why. VERY SIMPLE. Do not come to the North Coast if you need to work for a living (unless your work is in the Internet).

It's not about overpaying, it's about client base.
Lot's more resorts, gated communities etc.

Good landscapers earn their money.

May 29, 2006
The big money for that kind of work is in golf courses. There's a lot more to a tending the greens than just mowing the grass and I don't think it's a skill set that many Dominicans could do.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The big money for that kind of work is in golf courses. There's a lot more to a tending the greens than just mowing the grass and I don't think it's a skill set that many Dominicans could do.

Not here either. I live on a golf course and have been on a few others. Only saw Dominicans working greens and all other landscaping. This includes the Hard Rock course. Just too much cheap labor here.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Some, a very few positions are available to make a good living on the NC but it's mostly management positions. Also people who are architects and other professionals can do just fine if they have the right connections. Others do very well working for international companies like Barrick Gold and such.