Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone ever remodeled?

I'm just sitting here surrounded by wrapping paper and remnants of toys that the kids have already thrown to the side. I checked my email and had one from a website I love called houzz.com and there was an article about remodeling. So it just popped in my head that I never hear about remodeling here.
    Has anyone here ever remodeled? Bought a cheap house that maybe was the size you wanted but not much else and then fixed it up?
    I'm wondering how the process would be here...changing the floors, kitchen cabinets and countertops...do they even know how to remodel here? And why wouldn't more people do it?
    I would assume buying something economical and then remodeling would be much cheaper than building, but all you hear about is building here.
    Hmmmmm.... I mean, I've seen tons of economically priced homes that have awful looking floors, windows, appliances, etc. (you know, cosmetic stuff) that I would think would be easy to remodel.
    Just reading that article made me think, I was just wondering why I never heard of anyone remodeling here, wondering if anyone had an experience with it.

That's all. Back to my email.

SHALENA

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It happens all the time. We bought our house in a good state, but not our taste and are remodeling room by room at our pace. (our wallet's pace).

My brother in law bought an old apartment in Jardines del Embajador. A very ugly building inside a beautiful garden (park is a better word). He remodeled his apartment completely before moving in. The younger generation Dominicans is actually doing that before they move in into a not new place.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that a lot of it goes on. There are plenty of people who will replace floors and make kitchen units and tops to order. Or you can go to Ikea and get standard kitchen units.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i think that everyone who buys a "used" house remodels. we bought ours from a family of very filthy gringos. had to break down bathrooms and replace them completely, they were gross beyond believe. changed floors. put in new windows and doors. made all new kitchen cabinets. replaced rotten wood wardrobe doors with floor to ceiling mirror doors. we also remodeled the garden taking out the total of 9 trucks full of rubbish. including normal rubbish those charming folks threw not in the trash bin but just on into the overgrown shrubs.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, wow. So it is done more often than I hear about. Do you think it is cheaper that way? Or if you all had to do it again would you just have built to your own specifications?

SHALENA

P.S. Filthy gringos??? Say it ain't so!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a large house in Arroyo Hondo 16 years ago.
    It had "Good Bones", large yard, in an area I liked.
    I paid $80,000 and spent $60,000 to make it "NICE"!
    After 16 years, it now needs a little "Touch Up", but I'm "Dominicanized" now so "F#*K THAT"!!!!!!!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    The remodle was not difficult.
    You just have to be a "Hard A$$" with the Dominicanos doing the work.
    They will try anything, and everything to do it "Their Way", at "Their Price", which they will want to continuously INCREASE!!!
    You have to "Stay Ahead" of them with the costs.
    If they have more money in their pocket than the amount of work they have finished, they stop working!
    "Carrot & Stick" is the only way to keep them moving ahead.
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

7. Likes kampinge liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon View Post
    I bought a large house in Arroyo Hondo 16 years ago.
    It had "Good Bones", large yard, in an area I liked.
    I paid $80,000 and spent $60,000 to make it "NICE"!
    After 16 years, it now needs a little "Touch Up", but I'm "Dominicanized" now so "F#*K THAT"!!!!!!!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    The remodle was not difficult.
    You just have to be a "Hard A$$" with the Dominicanos doing the work.
    They will try anything, and everything to do it "Their Way", at "Their Price", which they will want to continuously INCREASE!!!
    You have to "Stay Ahead" of them with the costs.
    If they have more money in their pocket than the amount of work they have finished, they stop working!
    "Carrot & Stick" is the only way to keep them moving ahead.
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    I was waiting to hear from you!!! LOL

SHALENA

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

"Merry Christmas" to the "King Clan"!!!!
    My "Clan" left for "Moca" VERY early this morning to visit the other part of the family.
    I'm STILL trying to digest all the PORK I ate last night!
    To make room for "Left Overs"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I see several Roast Pork Sandwiches in my NEAR Future.
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

10. Likes SKing liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

we bought our place well below market value. even with the changes made it still paid off. and was faster than building our own house. we may move one day and i really do not care much whether we build from scratch, remodel or buy raw and finish it. actually no, scratch them. i am not sure about building. i like too many ideas all at once. probably it would be more peaceful to work with already existing structure.

12. Likes SKing liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a new condo at a deep discount in 2004 and have been slooooowly replacing the crap fittings that came with it.

The developer was dumping inventory to raise capital for his next project. I know his son and they took a bath during the Hipolimoto that unleashed an economic tsunami. They recovered and continue to build apartment projects successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    i think that everyone who buys a "used" house remodels. we bought ours from a family of very filthy gringos...
    Sometimes when filthy gringos move out they leave their dogs behind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast