Best place to go for my vacation needs.

Rara

Dec 26, 2013
Hello,

I am looking to go to Dominican Republic, and I have been to Punta Cana two times. I love it there, but it is so hard to get around with out a taxi. And everything is so touristy. I really want to find a city where I can stay in a hotel, resort or even a condo and be able to walk outside where I am staying and just walk around a do various things. I have done some reading online, seems as though Cabaret is a good option for this or possible Puerto Plata or Juan Dolio. Is there anyone out there with any advice for me? I am open to other places as well, just these are the places I have found so far.

I love water, and sitting on the beach. So a nice beach is a must, and fun nightlife as well! Cost is something I would like to keep down also. Thank you for any help!

Rara

Rara

Dec 26, 2013
Thanks to you also Robert!
And Al it is!

I have been looking at hotels in Cabarete, not a lot of all inclusive options. Any recommendations on where to stay? I seem to be finding a lot of condo rental type of options that look appealing.
Do either of you live in Dominican Republic, or just travel there often?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello,

I am looking to go to Dominican Republic, and I have been to Punta Cana two times. I love it there, but it is so hard to get around with out a taxi. And everything is so touristy. I really want to find a city where I can stay in a hotel, resort or even a condo and be able to walk outside where I am staying and just walk around a do various things. I have done some reading online, seems as though Cabaret is a good option for this or possible Puerto Plata or Juan Dolio. Is there anyone out there with any advice for me? I am open to other places as well, just these are the places I have found so far.

I love water, and sitting on the beach. So a nice beach is a must, and fun nightlife as well! Cost is something I would like to keep down also. Thank you for any help!

Rara

Hi:

Where are you coming from? If you are coming from the NYC area you can fly direct from JFK on Weds and Sats. directly into El Catey airport near Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula. Google Las Terrenas and check out the area. This part of the DR has some of nicest beaches in the Country and is lot more "real world" than the North Coast area of Sosua and Cabarate. There are many bars and great restaurants, and a lot of great scenery.

LTSteve

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Cabarete or Las Terrenas both fit what you are looking for. If you want to get out and experience the area, don't bother with an all-inclusive, there are plenty of bars and restaurants with reasonable prices in both places. Check out your options from online sources and list some places that appeal to you and you'll get some good advice from people who live here and/or travel here frequently.

Aug 6, 2006
There are few beaches that I have enjoyed sitting on than the beach at Las Terranas. It is particularly beautiful at dawn. Rio San Juan has a decent beach, and you can rinse off in the Gri-Gri freshwater lagoon. I would forget about AI places myself, but I speak fluent Spanish.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Depending on your age and sportiness, Cabarete would be a good choice. There is not a great choice in beach hotels there but there is cheap public transport around the North coast so you could stay further away in Sosua and commute (or you might even enjoy Sosua in one of the boutique hotels), or get a non-beach hotel in Cab just a short walk away from the sea.
Plenty of apart-type hotels and condos for rent in Cab if you like self-catering.

I like Las Terrenas but it is a bit isolated once you're there. In Cab or Sosua there is more to do, visit POP,Luperon, Costambar etc. but not so pretty as LT.
It depends on your tastes in holidays.

Rara

Dec 26, 2013
Thanks everyone for the great advice! Sorry it took so long to get back on here, I have been out of town visiting family. Al great recommendations. If I go with Cab I think I will do a condo. Now I will have to research Terrenas!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Cabarate is geared for the 20-30 year old group. If you want the real DR with the best beaches go to Las Terrenas. You can fly direct from Canada or JFK NYC into El Catey Airport (AZS) Jet Blue from NY on Weds and Sats.

LTSteve

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Hello,

Rara

Cabarete is the best place to go, from there you can take a public transportation to Sosua which is ten minutes away and you can also go to Puerto Plata city next day for shopping or just to fellowship with locals..

If you have been to PUJ twice I bet you didn't see the reality show of the Dominican people.

I drove a tourist cab for many years in DR, Las terrenas and Samana are just too quite for me...

Good luck!

JJ

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Cabarate is geared for the 20-30 year old group. If you want the real DR with the best beaches go to Las Terrenas. You can fly direct from Canada or JFK NYC into El Catey Airport (AZS) Jet Blue from NY on Weds and Sats.

LTSteve

We all know you have an agenda to promote LT to the detriment of the rest of the north coast, but be sensible. Yes, there are plenty of young people, but many older people of all ages as well enjoy staying and living there.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Bavaro should give you plenty of options to get around easily without a taxi. The barcelo and vista sol are right on the strip along with the nicest hostel I ever saw. Its only when you stay in punt a can a or cabeza de toro that this area is difficult to manage.