Indotel gives deadline to phone carriers to activate a user identification system

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Emergencia911.jpg

The Dominican Institute of Telecommunications (Indotel) placed a six months deadline to all national telephone companies to put in place a system for the identification and validation of users of fixed and mobile lines to be ready for the enactment of the 911 emergency system.

The identification of users will be enforced by a document proving identity, with referred names and nationality of the applicant and the number of the identification document used and the kind and description of the document employed.

When in the case of legal persons (entities), the identification is performed by providing the National Taxpayers Registry (RNC), and shall be recorded in the company name.

Indotel's six months deadline invokes that telecommunication service providers will have to turn off the phone lines that have not been identified and validated as per the new system.

In addition, it orders the phone service providers of pre-paid services to validate and confirm the identity of users with active lines before June 12, 2014.

Resolution 039-13 (PDF):
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=Ilh7iaWDhuG_yxF1Mb69kg&bvm=bv.58187178,d.b2I

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Good. What I don't get is, for at least the last 5 years you could not get a phone line without ID, not even prepaid. So I don't really get what's new here. I guess this will apply to those who got the service before ID was required. Fortunately, that must be a really small number.