Lost Passport, Can I go back to US with my Green Card?

hitesh8791

Dec 25, 2013
I have already applied for a duplicate passport but it is taking a very long time. It has been 5 weeks, since I lost my passport and have been waiting for a duplicate.

I was wondering if I could go back to the USA with just my Green Card/Permanent Resident Card? If Yes, please let me know websites, emails, contact numbers and the process that I must follow and what other documents or things I should keep with me and in my mind. Any kind of help that will get me back to my home would be very appreciated.

Thank you very much.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
If the airlines allow it. Most likely when you get back to the US, the CBP will fine you for not having a passport - probably a few hundred dollars - but they won't keep you from entering.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
If the airlines allow it. Most likely when you get back to the US, the CBP will fine you for not having a passport - probably a few hundred dollars - but they won't keep you from entering.

Are you wild guessing? Why would they fine?

The most likely scenario is that the airline agent here will not issue a boarding pass because they won't risk having to suck-up the cost of potentially having to fly him back after being denied entry to the US.

If if the airline don't stop him, Dominican Migration folks will definitively will. We are living in a post 9/11 world- nobody can travel internationally without a travel documents (passport and if required visa). The Alien Resident Card (ARC) aka "green card" is not a travel document nor does it prove country of citizenship. It only means you are authorized to reside and work in the US- not to be confused with being able to cross international borders.

May 29, 2006
I have a copy of my passport scanned online. I don't know if I could use it to get into the US, but I'm assuming with the info from a printout they could look it up online at immigration to verify my ID/nationality.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I agree with Hlywud, go to the US embassy and explain your dilemma.

Sorry, I just re read the OP and what you need to do is go back to the passport section pay VIP services and you will receive it in a couple of days.

I misunderstood and thought OP was US citizen.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006

And how would the US embassy/consulate be able to"OK" a foreign national (non US citizen) to depart a port they have no authority over and enter another without a passport?

The best the USA consul can do for US citizens is issue a emergency two-week temporary passport.

His problem resolution lies with the consul/embassy of his citizenship, not the US.

In a nutshell he's asking if the US will allow Dominican officals to allow him to leave DR and enter the US because his country won't/can't expediate the issuance of a duplicate passport.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
And how would the US embassy/consulate be able to"OK" a foreign national (non US citizen) to depart a port they have no authority over and enter another without a passport?

The best the USA consul can do for US citizens is issue a emergency two-week temporary passport.

His problem resolution lies with the consul/embassy of his citizenship, not the US.

In a nutshell he's asking if the US will allow Dominican officals to allow him to leave DR and enter the US because his country won't/can't expediate the issuance of a duplicate passport.

Read my post #8

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
same thing here, so instead of hitting the post button I open another window to see if my post went through.

never mind

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

We got it thanks