Monte Alto coffee beans

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Was buying them for a long time in Playero in Sosua. Last 2 times in (about 3 weeks now) they were not there. Anyone know what is up here? Also, anyone know where else I can get them?

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Is there a La Sirena near Sosua? I can always find Monte Alto there (in the capitol) and it is frequently a few pesos cheaper than the Santo Domingo.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
There is a la Sirena in POP. When did you buy it last?- it has only recently disappeared from Playeros shelves.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
For many months it was available in Super Pola on Lope de Vega in Santo Domingo and the Nacional on M?ximo G?mez. The organic beans and ground disappeared months ago. Sometimes the non organic ground is available.

I've seen this cycle several times.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
La Sirena near the colonial zone in SD had organic. ground, and beans on Dec. 12. I suppose they could be out by now but I have always been able to find the regular ground whenever I go there.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
La sirena in santiago for sure, the one near autopista duarte, navarrete side of town. Got some last week.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Thanks to all who took the time to reply! Still have a couple of bags left so am hoping it will be back on the shelves before I am completely out.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Interesting - I buy beans for home in NJ, and ground here in DR. I was at La Sirena in San Cristobal on Saturday, and their Monte Alto beans are marked down a lot - I think the ground was 243 or so, and the beans were 175. At the time, I thought that probably they weren't selling so they marked them down, but maybe they're being discontinued??

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Maybe they are clearing out old stock to make space for spring harvest. Cobraboy might be able to shed some light.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Interesting - I buy beans for home in NJ, and ground here in DR. I was at La Sirena in San Cristobal on Saturday, and their Monte Alto beans are marked down a lot - I think the ground was 243 or so, and the beans were 175. At the time, I thought that probably they weren't selling so they marked them down, but maybe they're being discontinued??[/QUOTE

Here in Jarabacoa there are plenty of the types of Monte ALTO in all the stores. 157 - regular, 189 - whole organic beans

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I was in the Agora Mall in Santo Trafficjam today. There's a Monte Alto kiosk in the food court.

I bought a 12 ounce bag of organic beans for 180 pesos.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Monte Alto in Santo Domingo

I bought some this morning at the Serena on Mella. 205 pesos per pound of whole beans. I stupidly did not check the date label until I got home. Some bags expired Dec 31, 2013. Others are dated April 2014. I dodged a bullet, I will use up the expired coffee within a week or two anyway. So check those dates on coffee and all other products, especially packaged food and pharmaceuticals.

Interesting - I buy beans for home in NJ, and ground here in DR. I was at La Sirena in San Cristobal on Saturday, and their Monte Alto beans are marked down a lot - I think the ground was 243 or so, and the beans were 175. At the time, I thought that probably they weren't selling so they marked them down, but maybe they're being discontinued??

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Got a bag if the organic Monte alto coffee yesterday in a supermarket in Jarabacoa. Had a cup this morning and it's so much better than the regular monte alto. Next step is buying a grinder and buy beans.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Got a bag if the organic Monte alto coffee yesterday in a supermarket in Jarabacoa. Had a cup this morning and it's so much better than the regular monte alto. Next step is buying a grinder and buy beans.

Should have bough beans in the same store.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Dominican Coffee Plantation",...................."Put all beans in bags",.......Stick "ORGANIC LABEL" on half the bags, charge more for the "Organic" beans!!!!
Nobody can tell the difference anyway!!!!!

"Olivo Family Blend",........"RULES"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BUT, I doubt I'd know if you slipped me some other premium coffee!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I don't have a grinder yet...and thanks to Celt202 I found the monte alto kiosk in Agora and will buy the beans there when I have the grinder.

Mortar and pestle like every other Dominican uses.
You can't use a Krups or Braun sin luz!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
"Dominican Coffee Plantation",...................."Put all beans in bags",.......Stick "ORGANIC LABEL" on half the bags, charge more for the "Organic" beans!!!!
Nobody can tell the difference anyway!!!!!

"Olivo Family Blend",........"RULES"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BUT, I doubt I'd know if you slipped me some other premium coffee!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
The non-organic coffee I got a while ago from monte alto tasted like santo Domingo coffee to me. But maybe it was an old bag.