How safe is the North Coast??

P

Patrick B

Hey, I'm from Canada. My friend and I are going to DR in Dec, and were gonna walk a lot. Landing in POP, then travelling the North Coast. Anyone have any hints/suggestions? It'd be great.

patbeauchemin@hotmail.com

M

martin

Well. the north coast is really great, plenty of things to see, and more, if you have some time, try to go everywhere, from Samana to Montecristi, go in the remote villages, in the countryside people are even more friendly... Drop by in Luperon, best catamaran sailing of the north coast...
Travel light, bring a pocket-size camera and learn some spanish... You'll love it...

C

Canadian Bob

Hints: 1. Carry little cash (pesos) bring the rest in $US as Travellers cheques, keep the numbers separate from the cash & T. cheques. 2. Only drink bottled water (available even in small villages)3. Bring (or buy locally...more expensive)fly-dope containing "deet", liquid not spray. 4. Sun-screen. 5.Camera(s) I often use "disposables" as they are easy to replace (in larger towns) if they are stolen.6. Never leave your belongings out of eye range. 7. Xerox your passport, driver,s licence, visitor's permit (you will get the latter on landing) & carry separately from the originals. Never give any originals to anyone, only part with a copy. Buy a tourist map of the DR. or print one from the internet. Very detailed maps are hard to get. 8. Avoid eating fish caught off local reefs (danger of ciguatera,toxic!)
Lobster, shrimp are ok. 9.Always negotiate price for taxi before getting in. 10 Smile a lot, shake hands, & haggle in markets. 11. Relax & enjoy! Canadian Bob.

G

George

Cabarete is a town you don't want to miss. Here is a link to a Cabarete web site below.

E

Ed and Mame

(As compared to what? ...) Be sure to go to Las Galeras (tiny fishing village in NE Samana Peninsula. LG Website is:
http://www.samana.net/lg-guide1.htm
Also Las Terranes... also, yeah, what those other guys said and we underline "learn some conversational Spanish" or else go to a school that teaches you perfect sign language!! or you'll be in deep doo-doo! Also, be prepared to "fall in love..."
You might also like to look at our DR Photo Web Page (we spent last June and July in Las Galeras and are going back Dec. 1 thru Mar. 31):
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/7080/index.html

Have a great time! -Ed and Mame-