Babies/toddlers drinking booze on Holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife went to Xmas dinner at our maids house and partied with the Barrio that night. She told me that people gave their 8 month olds many sips of beer and the toddlers were running around with their own Jumbo beers, tripping about b/c they were drunk.

It takes a lot to shock me but this really did for the obvious giving babies booze but also b/c they would waste beer on the kids!
Is this a normal thing?

I can see giving 10 year olds a beer or whatever but babies????!!!!!

Now I know why kids die of alcohol poisoning here, I just assumed it was by mistake!!!

Feb 7, 2007
I can see giving 10 year olds a beer or whatever but babies????!!!!!

I would never, ever give a sip of alcohol to my daughter even after she reaches the tender age of 10. Those parents are just nuts and should have their children taken away from them.

I would never, ever give a sip of alcohol to my daughter even after she reaches the tender age of 10. Those parents are just nuts and should have their children taken away from them.

Well I wouldn't give my 10 year old booze either but I would not be surprised by seeing that.

I can't say I agree with taking the kids away from them. They are poor and have no education. I am assuming this is common among uneducated people living in poor areas in RD.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Europeans, including Italians, allow their children to drink wine. Should they all have their children taken away? Probably talking millions of children throughout Europe.

Apr 3, 2009
...and the toddlers were running around with their own Jumbo beers, tripping about b/c they were drunk...
A toddler with a 40oz is just plain wrong. I don't care how someone wants to spin-it!

If I saw drunk toddlers with their own "jumbo beers" in the US, I would call the police. In the DR, I guess all that one can do is to walk out of the house and never come back!

-BB :bunny:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
many people dip the pacifier in alcohol so the baby "calms down". it's a norm here. however, i have never seen people give older kids any alcohol, most dominicans would consider it a waste of a good booze they could drink themselves.

a tradition of giving wine in to kids in europe is different. one, the wine is diluted with water. two, this is to accompany the food and serves to teach the kids normal behaviour at the table. i feel that harley is taking about the situation where kids are shown not how to drink but rather how to get drunk.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Are you sure there was beer in those bottles? Kids do like to play grownup and drink water out of the bottles.

May 29, 2006
There's nothing new or unique here. Use to be alcohol was in almost everything we drank that wasn't milk. Tap water wasn't safe , so people drank beer, cider or grog- which is a mix of water and rum(hence "groggy")

And as mentioned, kids are frequently given wine(sometimes sangria) in Europe now or beer in Germany.

What is the big deal? That they get tipsy once a year? It's not like they're going to drive...

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Kids drinking is wrong.....yet even in the streets of Detroit or far away Northern Michigan, Cheboygan, you see young kids with beer and whatever they can get! I have
seen the dip the pacifier in the booze and yes I have seen European kids sitting in a bar with their families and having a
presidente wrapped to look like it was 7up...of course these kids were at least twelve. Have seen many European female
teens (one or two in particular and one or two bars in particular....the boys tend to go in private to drink)
drinking in open bars usually age 15-16 looking like 20-25....and yes in Sosua....and yes I taught at ISS and I know these
not their ages but grade level in school!

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
It seems like North Americans again bringing their misguided "morals" to another country to me.

The Irish gave Guinness to kids with their last milk feed for years, the French.,Italians and other Europeans allow children to drink small amounts of wine or beer.
Gripewater for teething contains, or used to contain, alcohol. Many cough remedies also.Some mouthwashes too.
My kids used to 'minesweep' the glasses after a party for adults if we didn't watch them.
I had beer from my parents' pub as a kid and tasted other stuff as well.
None of us is an 'alcoholic' because of this, but maybe it makes us more open minded....

So again,What's the big deal?

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
It seems like North Americans again bringing their misguided "morals" to another country to me.

The Irish gave Guinness to kids with their last milk feed for years, the French.,Italians and other Europeans allow children to drink small amounts of wine or beer.
Gripewater for teething contains, or used to contain, alcohol. Many cough remedies also.Some mouthwashes too.
My kids used to 'minesweep' the glasses after a party for adults if we didn't watch them.
I had beer from my parents' pub as a kid and tasted other stuff as well.
None of us is an 'alcoholic' because of this, but maybe it makes us more open minded....

So again,What's the big deal?

Exactly. My kid's 3, he's been sipping out of my wine glass since he could reach out and grab it. I don't make a huge deal about it, he doesn't think it's some wicked taboo, he just wants a drink of whatever dad's drinking. He's tried rum punch, likes it, beer, hates it, and various wines with differing results. My wife is first generation Italian immigrant to the States, her grandmother raised them with rags dipped in wine or stiffer stuff for teething and soothing as babies. People need to get over their Puritan attitudes, or leave that in the US where it belongs.

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
Giving booze to infants and toddlers? Very chopo and barrio.

Not a clue what "chopo" means, but the context certainly doesn't seem positive. It's amazing how judgmental people can be online, especially when they wouldn't have the stones to walk up to someone in public and tell them how to raise their kid. I see that a lot with spanking as well, in the States I mean. "Oh, we'd never spank our son!" "I can't believe you spank!" etc. My generation will be known for two things when the butcher's bill comes due. 1: They resolved not to spank their children as their parents spanked them, and 2: They managed to raise the worse behaved generation in American history to date.

It's not giving a kid a drink that makes them binge drink or whatever, it's treating drinking like it's some secret bad thing that only adults do. Basic psychology, kids want to do what they're told not to do. The more you tell them not to, the more they go after it. Act like it's no big deal to drink responsibly, give some wine with dinner now and again, you're raising them to handle things responsibly.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
What I find as a culture shock is the babies 2 and 3 year olds BROWN BAGGING the Presidente Grandes sitting on the front porch and listening to the Sound Track from "Menace To Society"...:p

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
What I find as a culture shock is the babies 2 and 3 year olds BROWN BAGGING the Presidente Grandes sitting on the front porch and listening to the Sound Track from "Menace To Society"...:p

Yeah, now that would be a little much I think. I'm really not trying to pick my kid up a six pack along with whatever I'm having!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Oh here we go.again...
It's only toddlers getting drunk and it happens everywhere like your mother's neighbors.
Walk away folks! Nothing to see here! Dominicans never do anything wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.