Big Changes In Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are you watching the changes taking place on Duarte, the street that runs from PC to Banco Popular?

There is a lot of money being spent on remodeling, renovation, and new construction.

Obviously those involved have sources of information they consider much more reliable about Sosua's future than DR1.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Obviously those involved have sources of information they consider much more reliable about Sosua's future than DR1.

@ Ken -Why don't you take your fancy camera, and post pictures of "The new and improved Sosua" instead of hemming and hawing about the news worthiness of dr1?

Who knows, maybe someone will cut and paste your photos for Sosua News?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Ken, What you dont mention is the new politur post being built down by High Carribean! What is that all about!
Are they really going to implement the plan muted long ago about moving the Red light district to that end of town?

Olly and the Team

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

or... they are dumber and more hopeful, like we were, once. you know, the kind of folks who come here with an idea of starting a bar/restaurant/hotel.

May 29, 2006
People are investing in a corner of Sosua. Fine. That doesn't mean they actually know what the future of Sosua will be or that they are investing in the right part of town for that matter. Could be people who are riding on the hopes that PC is being torn down by the numerous capricious new laws, turnover costs and high rents. Historically, the number of people who have invested in Sosua has been somewhat higher than those who have made money.

And yes, pictures would be great.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Does this mean the flop house / cabana hotel next to the Merengue bar will get new towels.The towels there are scratchy after I hose myself down.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
People are investing in a corner of Sosua. Fine. That doesn't mean they actually know what the future of Sosua will be or that they are investing in the right part of town for that matter. Could be people who are riding on the hopes that PC is being torn down by the numerous capricious new laws, turnover costs and high rents. Historically, the number of people who have invested in Sosua has been somewhat higher than those who have made money.

Vamos a ver, as they say here. (We'll see)

However, La Sirena said they were building a big store here because they think this is a growth area. I think most would agree that the powers to be at La Sirena are not inclined to throw money away.

Then we had very positive piece about Sosua/Cabarete by a writer of a property investment newsletter who has a huge following. I am sure Derfish will confirm that she has a lot of influence.

I have no idea if what I am about to say is true, but with the investment being made on Duarte it looks like the future center of Sosua may be near the corner of Duarte, with little reason for anyone to go to the area where the big bars are unless that is where they want to go.

It looks to me as though the small bar on the corner across from little Playero has a good location. A lot of money is being spent on the renovation of that bar, when done it will look very different from the old place.

I was planning on going out and about this afternoon for exercise. I'll walk over there and take some photos if the sun isn't too bright.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
You can always take your own towels. I do.
Der Fish

Good thinking, but the only thing I carry when going into town (Sosua) is a pocket full of cash and condoms. Sometimes I stand on the balcony and air dry before round 2.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
WOW, it sounds like Sosua is going to be the next St Barts or Monte Carlo in a few weeks with the remodeling of Pluto Bar!

May 29, 2006
Speaking of Pluuto's, after I heard that hot bartender with the big 'Fro left Sosua a couple years back, I lost about half my interest for the town. Lucky old Italian bastard... Damn, I wish I had some photos of her. Maybe she'll inherit some big money and open her own place.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
@ Ken -Why don't you take your fancy camera, and post pictures of "The new and improved Sosua" instead of hemming and hawing about the news worthiness of dr1?

Who knows, maybe someone will cut and paste your photos for Sosua News?

Grinch, what's your issue with Ken?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Speaking of Pluuto's, after I heard that hot bartender with the big 'Fro left Sosua a couple years back, I lost about half my interest for the town. Lucky old Italian bastard... Damn, I wish I had some photos of her. Maybe she'll inherit some big money and open her own place.

You should have just banged her twin sister!

May 29, 2006
I guess it was the big hair that made her stick out, that and her smile. Usually a gap in the front teeth is a deal breaker, but on her it was cute.

I came close to renting an empty storefront next to Pluutos on PC, but it needed too much work to convert it into a kitchen. Instead I went with that jackass across from Rocky's. He wanted $800/month JUST for the kitchen side in Sept and I got him down to $300 in March. I think he was only paying $800 for both sides.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Here are photos of the bar at corner of PC and Duarte. There is a large kitchen, which also seems to be set up for take out, and or maybe a few stools, and the area for eating and drinking.

One of the fellows saw me in the bar taking photos and came over to see what I was doing. He said the bar is now owned by an American.

Attachments

• Corner Bar.jpg
    Corner Bar.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 244
  • Eating And Drinking.jpg
    Eating And Drinking.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Kitchen.jpg
    Kitchen.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 177

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Wow they did a nice job. It looks like it will be closed in with windows also. They have been working on it for a while.
I remeber the bartender with the thick curley hair.
The problem with that corner is the change and street sellers who hang there.

drescape24

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Duarte Plaza

There has long been a plaza on Duarte, on your right as you walk toward Banco Popular, but it has been completely redone as you can see from these photos. Plus there is now a big store at the Banco Popular end tha was not there previously.

Have no idea what is planned for the second floor. As you can see from the 3 photos, it is not intended that there will be offices or small stores on the second floor. The design, size and location of the windows suggest the entire space will be used for something.IInside Plaza Right.jpgInside Plaza left.jpgPllaza.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.