Arriving to SD jan 23, leaving to the Silver banks Jan 25, have some questions..

mafalda

Dec 29, 2013
Hi Everybody!! I am a native from Argentina, currently living in Aruba. My plan is head from SD to Puerto Plata on Jan 23, but i do not have a place to stay yet... I am departing to the Silver Banks from the Marina, which is at Cofresi beach... saw a place where I may spend 2 nites...called Plaza Taina..or maybe in one of the hotels in Pto Plata recommended for backpackers, one is called Hotel Montesilva, the other Portofino guest house...or I have been tempted yo stay at the Eco lodge "Tubagua plantation"..which would add more nature to my "whale adventure" at the silver banks. I am a solo traveler...pretty experienced... so i like to do and see as much as possible... I also heard of the "27 charcos"... anybody has advice leaning towards one place to stay or other...or even a "new suggestion" as far as activities? I am trying to be close to the Marina but also see some new stuff while I am there... When I return (the following Saturday feb 1st), I still have Sunday to do a little sightseeing..I need to be in SD on monday pm to take the flight back to Aruba....
I am planning to take the bus from SD to Puerto Plata and back...and I have been reading all the posts in this forum about local transportation...i have already decided not to rent a car or a scooter, but rely on the local guaguas or motoconchos.... If you can help me with more input, please shoot away!!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
no advice to give you .. but .. please come back and post on your whale adventure!!! I have often looked at that package.. seems wonderful! I often wonder why they do not have dive trips in the Samana Bay.. Have a great time.

abnor

Nov 7, 2006
I have stayed at Plaza Taina several times. It is good budget accommodations. The owners siblings Carmine and Alberto will
be helpful if you have questions. Cofresi is a small community, cheapest way to Puuerto Plata is to walk up the hill to the
highway and take the gua gua into town. Sounds like you may be taking an Aggressor Live Aboard trip. I hear they are great! You will find a little convenience store towards Ocean world, past Chris & Mady after the villa with the lovely lot. This store
carries the basics. Enjoy!

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Tubagua is a fantastic place, just up in the hills looking back over to Puerto Plata and the sea.
Definitely off the usual tourist trail and will give you a good case of the 'campo'

abnor

Nov 7, 2006
I have been to Tubagua as well, though I did not sleep there. One of the best places I have peed in the DR! The view is amazing. The sleeping area looks.......interesting.