Looking for a rhodesian ridgeback dog

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
This was a 98% match for my needs based on a questionnaire, has anyone seen this race in the DR, I would really love to find one.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Good luck!! Why not just get a Lab, they look the same, personality are very much the same, then take a clipper and shave the lab 1/2 way down its back using a number 2 clipper and your all set..:)

or get some ring worm, may look even better ;)

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The late Bruno from Rocky's was a ridgeback. You might want to ask Marco where he got his....it was a around 9 years ago, his info may no longer be valid. I loved that dog.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
The late Bruno from Rocky's was a ridgeback. You might want to ask Marco where he got his....it was a around 9 years ago, his info may no longer be valid. I loved that dog.

Aww poor bruno is gone, such a sweet giant that one was.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Good luck!! Why not just get a Lab, they look the same, personality are very much the same, then take a clipper and shave the lab 1/2 way down its back using a number 2 clipper and your all set..:)

They don't look the same, and have totally different dispositions. Ridgebacks are taller, bigger dogs and usually more aggressive. My family used to breed Ridgebacks.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Ridgebacks are bred by the Barcelo family near Higuey apparently. Sorry have no more details.

Matilda

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004

Bruno was a good dog. I'm sorry to hear he has gone.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I had a Ridgeback in the 90's while living in Sosua. He was rescued by Judy at Doctor Bob's place and she gave him to me for the costs of the recovery. Unfortunately he was stolen on one of my trips back to the states. I know there was more than one of them in the area.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am lucky enough to own a neutered male pure Ridgeback - he was abandoned (believed left behind when previous owners left the DR). He is a wonderful dog and I love him dearly. Be aware that, as they were bred as lion hunters and, if they want to get out, they have the ability to jump and climb fences of great heights!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"JESUS" I too will miss "BRUNO"!!!!!!
We were a lot alike, in many ways!
We both like to "Sniff",eat, and lay down all day!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am lucky enough to own a neutered male pure Ridgeback - he was abandoned (believed left behind when previous owners left the DR). He is a wonderful dog and I love him dearly. Be aware that, as they were bred as lion hunters and, if they want to get out, they have the ability to jump and climb fences of great heights!

Two of ours, Rascal and Wimpy used to jump over our fence and put the boots to the neighbours German Sheppard , then jump back over and act innocent as hell. We never locked a door when we had those dogs. Two big males and their wise mothe to guide them. Strong willed dogs, but very easy to get attached to.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013

Yeah Ant. They look alike. since they each have four legs and a head. They look just like pigs, horses and sheep...

btw, their dispositions are quite different. Ridgebacks are a full time job. I am far too lazy for that breed and the vet bills are over the top.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Bruno" was VERY "Laid Back", and from what I saw, definetly NOT, "A Full Time Job"!!!!!!
Kind of like "DR1ers", ..."One Size",.does NOT fit all!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

May 29, 2006
Bruno always liked it when you tossed him an empty water bottle. I get the idea that for him, it was like a larynx...

Ridgebacks were bred to kill lions. There's not much that can take them on.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My "Chiguagua"...WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She will inevitable be killed, but she will attack anything, the BIGGER, the BETTER!!!
Fortunately for her, the biggest dogs seem to have a "Sense Of Humor" regarding her attacks!
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, BUT,.."The size of the Fight in the dog"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what's with climbing the fences by large dogs? a cousin has a rottie in SD, very large specimen. that skank (dog, not cousin) climbs the fence and runs free. does not jump, she climbs up. she strikes fear in the hearts of the passersby.