Nicotine Me Please!! Gum, patch whatever

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
I've decided to try and quit smoking. Mostly because I can't breath, and that's a good reason to quit.
As a general courtesy to those around me, namely my dear husband, I've decided that some sort of nicotine replacement therapy might just be helpful.

Does anyone know where I can find some gum or a patch or something on this beautiful island? I live in
Bavaro but I am willing to bus it to Higuey or La Romana if necessary. Even Punta Cana.

I'm not really picky about what type. Gum is good, patch, lozenge. Just not those horrible e-cigarettes. Yuck

I thought about maybe just ordering some off of the good old interwebs, and then I'd write a post asking who has a good shipping company based out of bavaro, but there must be some already for sale on this island somewhere hopefully. If not, who should I use to ship this stuff quickly and affordably, before I kill someone that is.
:dead:

Thanks everyone!

Those who really want to quit smoking, stop smoking very quickly without any of these Nicotine based products. The others only seeks excuses to continue.

My observations and experience.
The only thing you need is a Iron-strong will- nothing else. Good Luck.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
bupropion is available without prescription but is expensive. i have not seen nicotine gums or patches here in POP, maybe you will have more luck in SD? most likely you will have to order it online, you can easily buy those on amazon.

keep strong. my dad quit smoking from one day to the other, after 30 years of so. keep your fingers busy, dad started eating sunflower seeds, for example.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
I got the most simple answer for you. Here is my story. 8 years ago I was sent to the emergecy room in the states. I had a cold and could not breath. The doctor checked my lungs and heart and said I can't hear your heart because of your lungs. I went into ICU. After many MRI's, CAT scans, blood tests, they came back and said we are so so sorry, your lungs are so bad from smoking, I'm afriad there is nothing we can do. I was ok, but I watched my wife and kids reaction, I realized I had let them down so so much, and at that point I was pretty upset. I, the husband was there to raise and protect and raise my children had in the end negelected them. So after 8 years I have COPD, I take meds and feel like sh*t, but am still around to see my wife and kids. Quit smoking, It fu*king sucks, big time. Wish I had quit years ago. Good Luck. Phil

Aug 6, 2006
The advantages of smoking.

Let us make a list:
(1) a slight feeling of dizziness after the first three puffs or so in the day.
(2) something to do with your hands.
(3) a less ostentatious way to resemble James Dean or Humphrey Bogart (dated).
(4) a reasonable excuse to play with fire, matches and lighters
(5) an excuse to go to the store, rather than to mope around the house all day
(6) the possibility to do that thing Robert Mitchem did with a flicked cigarette in Thunder Road (very, very unlikely, but the coolest thing anyone has ever done with a cigarette, ever.

Those are all the positive reasons I can think of. I could mention cynical stuff, like a way to p!ss away hundreds of dollars a month. Can anyone else come up with more?

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
I have a love hate affair with tobacco. I spent my early years in Italy and everyone I ever knew smoked. Mom Dad Nona, Zio, Zia everyone huffed cigarettes. I started smoking when I was fifteen. I smoked until I was twenty seven. Somehow when I was thirty three I started again. Ten years later the doctor told me I may have COPD. I quit no patch no gum no nothing. Thankfully I didnt have COPD.
When you want to quit you will quit. Ive been off of smokes for seventeen months. Its so great to breathe and not reek like an ashtray. My kids stopped harassing me for smoking.

Good luck to you. Set a date and stick to it. Think of your loved ones, your time with them will be longer and much better quality.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
You need to get a copy of Allen Carr's "Easy way to stop smoking". Your allowed to smoke while you read it, then somewhere near the end he tells you to light your last cigarette and... POOF... it will be your last cigarette !.

I am 51 weeks smoke free after reading the book, I carried around a pack of Camel straights for 8 months just in case, never opened the pack, still have it, look at it from time to time and it makes me smile and happy it's still un-opened.

I do believe as R Rattus mentioned earlier, you have to want to stop. if your just trying to stop it may not work, you must want to stop !!. Good luck and have a happy smoke free 2014 !

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Its a mind thingy...I smoked for a few Years before I started boxing...As soon as I started doing my road work and hitting the bag, etc, my desire for cigs dropped off. I was very dedicated to boxing, and of course, knew i could not box and smoke, needed my lungs to be super lungs if you know what boxers go through when winded, we cannot get winded..that said, you need to forget it! i suggest pick up jogging in the morning or whenever you get the urge like after you eat etc. you can at least clip a cig finish the other 1/2 later, that will also act like the so called patch, just some nic to carry you over...

overall, its best to just go cold turkey, think about what smoking is doing to your lungs since its hard for you to breath...that there should be enough reason..get ****ed at the cigs and say, screw you!! I'm going to allow my lungs to heal and they will!! the body is a great miracle!!! your lungs will be like new once again..

good luck!

anthony

Congrats on quitting smoking! I love it when people quit!!! Do whatever you have to, I know many who have used meds,
patches or cold turkey. Who cares how you do it, just quit! No one is better bc they didn't use "tools" to help! Hardest
addiction to stop in the world, so many many kudos to you!
You got this!!!!!!
Online is where I would get the stuff, haven't seen anything here for it other than meds.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Thank you all for the replies! It is as I feared, Nicorette hasn't made it to the island. I have tried cold turkey in the past. It wasn't as easy as you all make it seem unfortunately. I was a crying mess. I have anxiety to begin with, which is probably why I smoke. The drugs just seem to make me feel crazy. I'm going to order some patches on amazon. Hopefully they work! I really wanna quit.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just buy a bag of Tootsie pops & Blow pops, and do it, that gum gives you the runs anyway.
Puff on a straw and pretend you are being poisoned.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I wish you the best of luck.

I loved smoking and to this day love the smell of someone else smoking. As I write this, I'm craving a cigarette. But I like the idea of breathing better, not to mention the money I save from not smoking.

As I quit, someone gave me a bit of advice, that I pass on to you.
Cigarettes are your best friend. When you go to a party, you take your cigarettes with you. When you are having a bad day, your cigarettes are there to comfort you. When you're lonely, you know your cigarettes are with you. When you're happy, your cigarettes are sharing in your joy. Your best friend is a life-sucking b**** who needs to get the f*** out of your life.