newbie on the north coast.

s1mpleton

Dec 24, 2013
Greetings. I am working at a hotel east of cabarete.
Will be here till March. Have been here since Dec 5th
Enjoying all of your posts and help.
Now if I could just figure out Dominican "engineering" we would all be set. Lol

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Welcome to dr1

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004

Welcome, please tell us more of what you do and who you are. Eventually someone will reply that Dominican Engineering is an oxymoron.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Welcome...black electrical tape is your friend and nothing is level....and if the fridge breaks they will insist all it needs is Freon (however usually a relay but it does insure they will make several trips) Oh yeah and the patio. porch or veranda rolls toward the door so expect water and if you call someone out they will just take a cement drill bit and drill holes in the beautiful tile
work right in front of the door..not to safe if you have heals on...another engineering feat...we did not know whether to run or laugh...our landlord waited to install iron gate on our doorwall until we settled in. they showed up one morning with the bars, cement frill, soldering gun minus the eye protection and some black paint....It was all installed as they jack hammered the
stoop, soldered the joints and painted the solder areas without taking down my curtains or move the couch..brushed off the
doorwall track with a paint brush and gone! Took 2 of us 3 hours to clean the mess up......couldn't watch anymore and had
to hide in the bathroom not sure if the place would be on fire! Nice speckled black spots on the tile for an added touch!
Hang in there....don't try to figure it out just go with the flow and have a president!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That's why I LOVE the DR!!!!
New, "Stupid Dominican Tricks" every day, and ,..."No Waiting"!
The guy who installed my iron staircase just let the metal sparks fall on my mahogany staircase.
EVEN, after I told him to cover them.
That was 16 years ago, he is STILL Waiting to get paid!
He did a great job on the staircase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Plumber, electrician, gardener, painter,roofers,cementers,and THOUSANDS of "Maid Stories", to come!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

s1mpleton

Dec 24, 2013
Welcome, please tell us more of what you do and who you are.

i was invited down to help out with a hotel my friend owns. LOL.
i have been doing mechanical maintenance and repair of all sorts for years, and realized in the first 2 weeks i was in a nightmare zone.

just found a couple of large guage wires we were going to cut for some repairs needed and found out they are live and not connected at the other end. to beat that we traced them back to the mains side of the box............wait for DR power to go out and will remove....UGH

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Welcome, please tell us more of what you do and who you are.

i was invited down to help out with a hotel my friend owns. LOL.
i have been doing mechanical maintenance and repair of all sorts for years, and realized in the first 2 weeks i was in a nightmare zone.

just found a couple of large guage wires we were going to cut for some repairs needed and found out they are live and not connected at the other end. to beat that we traced them back to the mains side of the box............wait for DR power to go out and will remove....UGH

You won't have to wait tooling for that. Make yourself a cup of coffee. By the time your done, the power will be out....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh, live wires? a while ago we changed the floors. broke old tiles in the kitchen and discovered there was an open box underneath with live wires. nice!

s1mpleton

Dec 24, 2013
sell wire for scrap? still trying to figure out where to take my presidente bottles and these dead inverter batteries/.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Those "Inverter Batteries" are worth about 700 pesos each !!!
Don't take less.
Many places that sell batteries will pay you for them.
Don't sell to the guys who go around the streets buying "Junk", they will cheat you.
You CAN sell them the "Bottles"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC