DominicanCooking.com in Best Latin Food Blogs 2013

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
DominicanCooking.com listed in best Latin Food Blogs 2013 by Latin Food and Recipes | Latin Cuisine | The Latin Kitchen

This blog was started by ?Aunt Clara? (who wasn?t actually an aunt when she started the blog) in 2001. Based in Punta Cana, the blog showcases classic Dominican (and Dominican-inspired) recipes.

Why we love it: It?s our daily dose of sass. Aunt Clara and her partner in crime, Aunt Ilana, are fun and funny and their recipes are delicious and timely. Also, on the slim chance we?re full (never happens), we can wonder over to the lifestyle section and check out cool home goods and crafts, interviews, and articles.
Best Latin Food Blogs 2013

Cooking Dominican food, recipes, and dishes – Aunt Clara’s Kitchen

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i just wonder why so much water in a pressure cooker for only 30 minutes of cooking the beef stew. that is more like making soup. how do you get decent gravy like that?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i like that at the end of all english recipe it says "sazona con sal y pimienta al gusto" :)

Aug 6, 2006
Lord, what I miss most in the DR is good pepper. What I have found in stores there is more like stale grey dust that tastes more like stale than it does like real pepper. I never venture to the DR without a shaker of Badia Butcher Block Pepper.

But I do love a good sancocho.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Lord, what I miss most in the DR is good pepper. What I have found in stores there is more like stale grey dust that tastes more like stale than it does like real pepper. I never venture to the DR without a shaker of Badia Butcher Block Pepper.

But I do love a good sancocho.

if you want good black pepper in the DR, you have to be prepared to spend good money, and buy something like McCormick. otherwise, forget it. local black pepper is really charcoal dust. also, if you use pimento, or malagueta, try to get it in a bottle from a place like Jamaica or Grenada. the local stuff has no flavor.

canned oj

Oct 24, 2013
Thanks booked marked page. Off to grocery store to try one this evening. I also agree about the pepper, like charcoal dust.lol

Sep 4, 2012
Wonder what some of the haters would say about it?

There is another thread somewhere here hating on DR food, I just can't find it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Wonder what some of the haters would say about it?
There is another thread somewhere here hating on DR food, I just can't find it.

most of threads here that talk about food slate standard dominican fare. aunt clara, however, cooks modern dominican, sans grease and sopita. like xavier i love sanchocho but i hate, hate HATE rice.

May 29, 2006
My local restaurant supply company sells disposable salt and pepper shakers. I'll be bringing a half dozen with my on my next trip... I hate the dust that passes for pepper in the DR. Also bringing Montreal Steak Seasoning and numerous other spices.

Aug 6, 2006
McCormick is not half as good as Badia's butcher block pepper. It is rather hard to find, even in Miami. Price Choice has it, Publix and Presidente don't. but anything is better than what passes for pepper in the DR. As they say in M?xico, hu?cala, hu?cala.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I brought from Walmart Canada - 250 g ground black pepper, from another store -whole black pepper - Cool Runnings - a taste of the islands (I assume Jamaica) - it's very strong and very good, then I also brought 415 g - peppercorn medley - black, white, green, and pink peppercorns and coriander- really good on everything.
I pepper everything as due to my heart issues salt is a NO-NO. I gave my Montreal spices to Cobraboy in thanks for his great wings on NFL Football day.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just buy whole black peppercorns - but a good pepper mill is not easy to find here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Funny that the island was discovered in the search of spices. As far as pepper; well, Dominicans care as much as pepper as they do jalapenos. I careless about both, thruth be told.

jalapenos are meh. you need to try a good scotch bonnet pepper..that is what flavor is all about.