Cash Advance from Bank with Passport?

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Is possible to get a cash advance from a bank without a passport?

My passport is in the house here... somewhere. I just don't know where at the moment and I need some cash.

Will a valid Identification from USA suffice?

Sep 4, 2012
DR banks will not do anything until a Passport is presented as form of ID, I mean nothing at all. You can show them everything else, no Passport, no can do by my experiences.

Even with the passport they get all weird with large sums of money that are really a very small amount for Expats. I have been told no many times from the bank I belong to (Scotia Bank in Cab). I then tell them yes I can get that amount out go ask your boss.
I would not waste my gas going to a bank here without my passport!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
For those considering moving here: open up a dollars account at a bank.

Even with that account, and though everyone at the bank knows exactly who I am, I cannot withdraw money without a passport.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I've been with Banco Popular now for about 8 years and I really have no problems. I have a US$ a/c and a peso a/c. They haven't asked to look at my passport for years. I can take pesos out from an ATM with the card they gave me, dollars on presentation of my bank book and cedular at the desk. My little daughter has a child's savings a/c with a plastic pig to put pesos in and a bank book. I feel very much happier that I have to produce identification to withdraw dollars otherwise if I lost my bank book I could be cleaned out. I just can't understand how so many seem to have problems.

Sep 4, 2012
The problem is not to no ID a person, that should and it is for the most part standard safety practice in every banking industry in the entire planet. The issue is BANKING OVERALL, again for those that do not get it -- it is the most extennuating thing one has to go through on this marvelous country.

These people believe in a Passport more than they do to the Bibble itself for those that are Christian (am not),I mean, if someone make the critical mistake of not having a Passport, you can show any other ID and the banks will turn you around.

For those of you whom have not gone through this, well, congrats. For the rest of us rgardless of our time as customers, having a Peso or USD account that have endure such actions, hang in there is the only thing that comes to mind.

I stand correct and repeat myself; banking sucks in DR!

Don't even get me started on wire transfer money availability and the questioning related to it....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have no big problems - Banco Progreso - US and RD accounts... on line transfers between accounts, pay bills to 3rd parties.

I rarely go to the bank any more....ATM only.

Wired money in last week, arrived the same day as a wire to my US bank - immediate availability.

Actually easier than eithe rof my No American banks (US and Canada)

I should say they freak out about the money when I take it out of my Canadian Credit Cards, not my actual bank account at Scotia Bank. The guys got used to us and knew the deal and then they got fired so now we have new people not knowing about procedures...
I'm with you Wishing you well! It is by far the most frustrating thing I have ever dealt with! (other than my ex wife)
I know what you are talking about with the Wire Transfers!!

Sep 4, 2012
I have no big problems - Banco Progreso - US and RD accounts... on line transfers between accounts, pay bills to 3rd parties.

I rarely go to the bank any more....ATM only.

Wired money in last week, arrived the same day as a wire to my US bank - immediate availability.

Actually easier than eithe rof my No American banks (US and Canada)

What amount are you wiring?

if you would not want to disclose it, I understand. Thanks

As you, I rather would not go to the bank at all, trust me on that one. If it was my pick, Iwould do everything online as I do in the USA but here is something that it isnt practical and impossible to accomplish at times.

Sep 4, 2012
I should say they freak out about the money when I take it out of my Canadian Credit Cards, not my actual bank account at Scotia Bank. The guys got used to us and knew the deal and then they got fired so now we have new people not knowing about procedures...
I'm with you Wishing you well! It is by far the most frustrating thing I have ever dealt with! (other than my ex wife)
I know what you are talking about with the Wire Transfers!!

LOL...they do freak out often don't they?

Glad am not the one and you can relate to these prowesses.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What amount are you wiring?

if you would not want to disclose it, I understand. Thanks

As you, I rather would not go to the bank at all, trust me on that one. If it was my pick, Iwould do everything online as I do in the USA but here is something that it isnt practical and impossible to accomplish at times.

I wired more than you are allowed to carry in......

I do everything on the Progreso website.... convert US to RD, pay my purchases in SD.
I have not tried wiring to the US yet but may never need to... I travel regularly

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I go to the same bank now for 8 years and have two accounts there (USD and RD). When I go to exchange money there they greet me by my name (correct name) and the proceed to ask for my ID before they will exchange the money. Go figure.

Bob K

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Correct Bob, they even look up my passport number for me -- to give to them.

System has its quirks... you cannot ask for cash at the teller, checks only..... with ID, natch.

Watch them wiggle when you ask for US cash.... they sometimes don't have enough

Feb 7, 2007
I guess it goes by the bank. One of the smaller but prestigious banks... in my "home branch" ... I can make withdrawals from my or company's account without an ID. Though I now have cedula, accounts were open with passport so they ask me for passport number. But I do not have to show any ID. Just sign, they compare the signature, and I get the money. I call this "personalized attention".