Haitians in DR: Discussion Jan 4

umeafdb

Mar 9, 2010
The Meeting Place, Puerto Plata's Volunteer-stafed International center, is initiating its first of discussion afternoons on a subject which couldn?t be more current, namely the situation of Dominican residents of Haitian origin. As we all know the recent Court ruling regarding citizenship in the DR has affected thousands of people and attracted much negative international attention.
We felt it important to address the issue as a priority, and with the seriousness it deserves. And we are proud to say that we will be able to do so. On January 4 at 2 pm our guest speaker will be Bridget Wooding. Bridget is Director of the Observatory on Caribbean Migrants in Santo Domingo, and has for many years worked with human rights organizations in the Caribbean for which she was awarded the OBE (Order of the British Empire) in 2011. Her talk will be based on her book:
Needed but Unwanted: Haitian immigrants and their Descendants in the DR

For more info check website Meeting Place Puerto Plata | International English Language Cultural and Community Center in the Dominican Republic. Tel 829 455 6110. Address: calle 60, Juan Bosch, Puerto Plata. The bookstore is open Tues-Friday 11-5, Sat 11- 3.

Dec 24, 2012
That'll be an interesting meeting. That's a 5 hour drive for me... wish it was closer. Where I live the discussion on this topic is all Dominican born Haitian's should keep their status but the rest should leave. This is based on the number of Haitians out numbering the Dominicans in many neighborhoods. I wonder what its like up North.