5th visit to sosua

cbduster

Jan 1, 2014
Going back to Sosua for 5th visit, Have been to DR a total of 8 times.we love the country and would like to
retire there in the next 5yrs. Will fill our days with volunteer work, but I would also like to make some money
on the side. Anyone have some ideas? Has anyone partnered with a local resident (with positive results ?

May 29, 2006
But seriously, one way to make some pocket money is to get some basic real estate skills and be able to show properties. No real cost to you and you work on commission.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
But seriously, one way to make some pocket money is to get some basic real estate skills and be able to show properties. No real cost to you and you work on commission.

The cost is having a car and paying for expensive gas to show people around who almost never buy anything. With no MLS service and a free for all style, it is an "interesting" job here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

The cost is having a car and paying for expensive gas to show people around who almost never buy anything. With no MLS service and a free for all style, it is an "interesting" job here as long as you are good at taking no for an answer most of the time.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Creating a business in the DR is often difficult. Do you have any language skills? The first thing you must do is apply for residency. This process is expensive and will take at least a year to obtain temporary residency. You will need this before you can start any legitimate business. There is a lot of info on the internet on living, working and starting a business. Google this and check it out.

LTSTeve

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you don't have enough fixed yearly income to live, WHATEVER you call "Comfortably", here in the DR...
"DON'T COME"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The "Start Up" costs of getting started here are VERY HIGH!!!!
Security deposits, household goods, TV's, and especially "Vehicles".
Have you thought about Medical Expenses????
The chances of being able to generate any income after you get here are, "Slim",...and NONE!!!!
AND, "SLIM", just got on his Burro, and rode out of Sosua!

If you want a Dominican "Partner", save yourselves some time and money, just "Western Union" all your funds to any Dominican at random.
THAT said, I have lived here since 1995.
I don't want to live anywhere else.
I have some US Dollars coming in each month that makes living here enjoyable.
AND, You can "VISIT" the DR 1,000 times if you want, but you won't know what it's like to actually "LIVE" here, until you "LIVE HERE"!!!!
Take then next 5 years to gain knowledge about the DR.
Estimate how much money you will need, then Triple THAT Amount!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Going back to Sosua for 5th visit, Have been to DR a total of 8 times.we love the country and would like to
retire there in the next 5yrs. Will fill our days with volunteer work, but I would also like to make some money
on the side. Anyone have some ideas? Has anyone partnered with a local resident (with positive results ?

Why Sosua? Do you visit other parts of this beautiful country?

If you don't have enough fixed yearly income to live, WHATEVER you call "Comfortably", here in the DR...
"DON'T COME"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The "Start Up" costs of getting started here are VERY HIGH!!!!
Security deposits, household goods, TV's, and especially "Vehicles".
Have you thought about Medical Expenses????
The chances of being able to generate any income after you get here are, "Slim",...and NONE!!!!
AND, "SLIM", just got on his Burro, and rode out of Sosua!

If you want a Dominican "Partner", save yourselves some time and money, just "Western Union" all your funds to any Dominican at random.
THAT said, I have lived here since 1995.
I don't want to live anywhere else.
I have some US Dollars coming in each month that makes living here enjoyable.
AND, You can "VISIT" the DR 1,000 times if you want, but you won't know what it's like to actually "LIVE" here, until you "LIVE HERE"!!!!
Take then next 5 years to gain knowledge about the DR.
Estimate how much money you will need, then Triple THAT Amount!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I wish I could "Like" this 10,000 times!!
It is NOT cheap to live here unless you want to live in a shady place!
Living is also not anything like the relaxing vacays i have had here!
Seriously think about renting first, you will understand why when you are a few months in!!

I do love it in the DR, have been away for 8 days and I am extremely homesick but it is not for everyone! This is a crazy ass Country!! Luckily my wife and I are equally as crazy and LOVE weird/frustrating stuff!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Like "Harley" said,....
He is one of the very few people who moved here, THEN found out just how EXPENSIVE Everything IS!!!!!!!!
Unlike all the others, he is willing to, "Tell It Like It IS"!!!!!!!
Not try to extend the "Myth", that everything is "Perfect" in the DR, and the cost of living is very low!!!!
Again, like he said,if you want to EXIST like a poor Dominicano, you can live cheaply, in an area where EVERYTHING is CHEAP, even your "LIFE"!

I personally think that a lot of "Misfits" from abroad, "FIT" here in the DR!!!!!!!!!!
I love the "Wild West" aspects of the DR,....but then I also loved Vietnam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can shoot someone in both countries, and have no problems afterward!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Like "Harley" said,....
He is one of the very few people who moved here, THEN found out just how EXPENSIVE Everything IS!!!!!!!!
Unlike all the others, he is willing to, "Tell It Like It IS"!!!!!!!
Not try to extend the "Myth", that everything is "Perfect" in the DR, and the cost of living is very low!!!!
Again, like he said,if you want to EXIST like a poor Dominicano, you can live cheaply, in an area where EVERYTHING is CHEAP, even your "LIFE"!

I personally think that a lot of "Misfits" from abroad, "FIT" here in the DR!!!!!!!!!!
I love the "Wild West" aspects of the DR,....but then I also loved Vietnam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can shoot someone in both countries, and have no problems afterward!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CCCC,

To be fair, you could live exceptionally well in DR - on a Grand Cayman budget.

It's interesting hearing about people complaining about the quality of life in an area where their entire monthly budget is less than the cost of an okey-doke house rental in St. John or Maui.

DR is one of the best options for lower-income pensioners to come and enjoy their lives (instead of living in some drab apartment in Jersey and looking forward to this weeks' new arrivals at Redbox).

Personally - and I know this is a stretch - given the generally cited budget of around $2.5k a month to live in DR, I'll take a comfy condo, a decent ride, and some Alina-Vargas-at-25 lookalike willing to cook, clean (and be twice-daily dessert) over Cracker Barrel and People's Court any day.

Go figure.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I watch "Judge Judy"almost everyday!!!!!!!
I like to check up on "Low Life's" no matter where they live!
I DO love the "Cheap Pun Tang" here too!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC