Where can I get Visa de Residencia RS if allready in Dominican Republic

La.Tina

Jan 2, 2014
Hola,
we are in the country since many months (we know it is only legal up to 60 days!). Now we want to start the procedure for our residencia. In the Oficina de Migracion we have been told, that the most important thing we need is the RS-Visa or Visa de Residencia. They explained us that we have to get it in our country (Germany) on the Dominican consulate. Also they explained us that there is another (inofficial) way to get it from MIREX, if you are in the country for a longer periode.

Now the question: Who has experience how and where to get this Visa in the country or is there another way to get the residencia?

Thanks for your quick reply...
La.Tina

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You can get a visa but the documents required for residency must be acquired from your home country. You will need , birth certicates, marriage certificates, a police report from your home country, including fingerprints, copy of your passports. Most of these also will need to be translated to Spanish. Suggest, if you are serious than contact a lawyer who will instruct you in the process. You can't do this by yourself. It will cost you anywhere from $1200-1800 per person to get the first step of temporary residency in the DR.

LTSteve

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Guzman Aria Law Office 809-255-0980 or fax 809-255-0940 Not the most inexpensive but simply the best option

La.Tina

Jan 2, 2014
You can get a visa but the documents required for residency must be acquired from your home country. You will need , birth certicates, marriage certificates, a police report from your home country, including fingerprints, copy of your passports. Most of these also will need to be translated to Spanish. Suggest, if you are serious than contact a lawyer who will instruct you in the process. You can't do this by yourself. It will cost you anywhere from $1200-1800 per person to get the first step of temporary residency in the DR.

LTSteve

OK – let`s say we want to do it ourselves because we can not (or do not) want to spend 1000 US$ or more per person
We have birth-certificate, certificado de no antecedentes penales and also we can get an unlimited work contract.
The documents that we have are good and the Oficina de Micracion told us we can have translated them here in the country.
So how and where can we get the Visa de Residencia?

Thanks,
La.Tina

Feb 7, 2007
Basically, if you do not have a (good) lawyer there is very very little chance you will get the visa here from MIREX. The process is "unofficial" so personal connections come a lot in play. Also you must have a strong tie to the DR in order to get the visa here, such as be married to a DR citizen, have a DR born child (DR citizen), have substantial investment in the country (not in the bank or RE, but productive investment such as enterprise employing Dominican people, etc.). Even if the visa can be done unofficially in the DR, the expediting official must have some "cover" to back up that decision. Other than that, no way. So I repeat, to get the visa here in the DR you must have 1st a very well know lawyer with connections in MIREX for this, and second and as equally important as the first one, you must have the strong DR tie as mentioned above. The unofficial fee for unofficial process of issuing visa in the DR directly from MIREX is unofficially couple of hundred dollars. But you save the 100-dollar visa fee.

So get a good lawyer. Guzman Ariza was mentioned, that is one option. The second option, equally capable with as good attention and as good results and absolute professionalism but much lower fees, is La Doctora, which many people here on DR1, including myself, have used, with 100% satisfaction.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Unfortunately the whole business is ridiculously complicated, time-consuming and expensive, which is why so many expats here just don't do it.

La.Tina

Jan 2, 2014
So get a good lawyer. Guzman Ariza was mentioned, that is one option. The second option, equally capable with as good attention and as good results and absolute professionalism but much lower fees, is La Doctora, which many people here on DR1, including myself, have used, with 100% satisfaction.

So who is La Doctora, where do I find her and what is her price???

We are located in Bavaro.

Thanks for your reply,
La.Tina

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
I am confused... i am canadian and i want to go for 6 months , this info i am about to copy and paste comes from dr1.com

The US$10 tourist cards allow you to stay for 30 days. An additional RD$300 is charged to prolong the stay to up to 90 days. Thereafter, scaled charges from RD$500 to RD$15,000 (for five years and more) apply. If you will be driving in the DR for more than the 15 days of your tourist card, you will need to pay for an extension at the Department of Migration in order for your license to be valid, and the insurance coverage to be maintained.

so what i understad from here is we can stay as touriste for up to 10 year.. you just have to pay when you leave... am i reading this correctly

I am confused... i am canadian and i want to go for 6 months , this info i am about to copy and paste comes from dr1.com

The US$10 tourist cards allow you to stay for 30 days. An additional RD$300 is charged to prolong the stay to up to 90 days. Thereafter, scaled charges from RD$500 to RD$15,000 (for five years and more) apply. If you will be driving in the DR for more than the 15 days of your tourist card, you will need to pay for an extension at the Department of Migration in order for your license to be valid, and the insurance coverage to be maintained.

so what i understad from here is we can stay as touriste for up to 10 year.. you just have to pay when you leave... am i reading this correctly

Yes it is very easy to stay longer than the $10 tourist card allows. You just pay a fee when you leave at the airport. I have done this twice within the last year while awaiting for my Residency.

OP if you can't afford a good lawyer to help you I wouldn't bother doing it at all. It's kind of a waste of time and money unless you need it to work I guess?!

I did it this once and will not do it again unless I am made to do it!

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
Yes it is very easy to stay longer than the $10 tourist card allows. You just pay a fee when you leave at the airport. I have done this twice within the last year while awaiting for my Residency.

OP if you can't afford a good lawyer to help you I wouldn't bother doing it at all. It's kind of a waste of time and money unless you need it to work I guess?!

I did it this once and will not do it again unless I am made to do it!

how long did you stay for ? and how much was your fee.. just to have an idea what a 6 month stay fee should look like.. if you remember thanks alot

how long did you stay for ? and how much was your fee.. just to have an idea what a 6 month stay fee should look like.. if you remember thanks alot

I have lived in the DR for a year, this last time I left, I was over by 4 months and I paid 1000 pesos. ($25 US) I think that is the same price for up to 6 months.

My wife left at around 9 months over and had to pay...ahh I can't remember exactly but either 2000 or 2500 pesos?!
There is a chart that people always put up on DR1 with the exact prices, maybe try and use the search function for it?

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I always get a better deal when I leave, I first ask how much, (I already know the exact price) and then tell them I know how the game is played, if I pay that much, I want a receipt......low and behold the price comes down quite rapidly, (last exit was to be 4000 pesos, but I got out for 1000 pesos).....just make sure that they stamp your passport......
As far as the residency goes, I am still waiting for everything to clear up, although I have been married to a Dominicana for the last 3yrs, so maybe I will bite the bullet and get it......

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

You can extend your stay and pay the fine at the airport when you leave. You can also get a tourist visa through the Dominican Consulate in Canada. This will extend your tourist stay to, I believe, 90 days, without paying a penalty. I am not sure if they charge you for this.

LTSteve

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Do you have a criminal background check, including finger printing? This also has to be translated. When they tell you translated it means that it must be done and certified by the Dominican Consulate. They will charge you about $70 per page to do this and put the official stamp. Part of the process is also getting a chest ex-ray and blood and urine tests. These are administered in the same complex where the documents are entered. Since, you do not seem to have much knowledge of the entire process I would highly recommend that you get an attorney who is bi-lingual and trustworthy otherwise you run the risk of getting over charged for the services to complete this process. You will get what you pay for. With the recent changes in the immigration laws it is impossible for ex-pats to complete this without an attorney. Good luck.

LTSTeve

You can extend your stay and pay the fine at the airport when you leave. You can also get a tourist visa through the Dominican Consulate in Canada. This will extend your tourist stay to, I believe, 90 days, without paying a penalty. I am not sure if they charge you for this.

LTSteve

It is very expensive to get the 90 day residency visa thing if that is what you are referring to! You do not do this unless you want to start the residency process and you will end up paying for 3 months over stay at the airport anyways because kayakat wants to stay for 6 months.
DO NOT Get that kaykat!!!!!
It is no big deal at all to pay the overstay at the airport on your way back home! No one cares that you are illegal here!!!

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The catch to the process is that you need one of the following conditions:
Married to a Dominican citizen
Investing in or establishing a Dominican business
Retiring in RD

If one of the above are met, it's a very simple process (just went through it in March). If you don't meet one of the above, but you will be traveling back and forth on business regularly, you may be able to get the Business visa instead of the Residence one. Same price, less paperwork, and you're still in-country legally.